Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My horn started blowing all by itself when I was in the house. I went out and beat on the steering wheel and it stop but started again. Any body have this problem? It has been hot out and car sat with windows up. The probem is in the steering wheel switch but, WTF?

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
:bmad: WTF is right. I had the same thing happen last Friday morning when I was getting ready for work. First the burglar alarm soft tone comes on when I came back into the bedroom after my shower. Some how the garage door opened on it's own so I killed everything before I woke everyone in the neighborhood. Then I get to the front door and the car horn starts honking. WTF is going on? I must have hit the horn alarm button on the key fob. I know the neighbors are pissed.

D.J.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I had some similar problems, but i think Jack Daniels was involved, but, i can't remember! :drunken:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
I got this from another forum

The horns them selves can be disconnected or you can remove fuse# 11 in the instrument Panel electrical center. That will allow you to use the car. The horn contacts in the air bag have a tendancy to go bad! Guess how you have to fix it?? Remove the air bag!!

Try pressing and massaging on the face of the air bag (horns disconnected) while you warm up the rubber with a hair dryer. It's a shot in the dark but it could save you LOTS of money!

The BCM can cause the horns to honk! When you arm your security system the BCM (if programmed to do so) will beep the horn, If someone sets off the alarm the BCM will cause the horns to honk.

Another possibility is you may have a bad horn relay. Relay# 36 in the instrument Panel electrical center.

Reconnect the battery and see if you still have the problem. Sometimes the BCM just needs to be reset by disconnecting the battery.

My bet is you have a bad switch in the air bag cover.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
A friend had that happen in her Mustang. It ended up being a piece of foam inbetween the two contacts for the horn had dry rotted. When the foam rotted, it lost its springiness and couldn't hold the contacts apart any more. When they touch, the horn goes off. I don't know how the vette's horn sensor is assembled, but that might be the cause.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Recently started to happen to me as well... in the middle of the night, horn would be going off with the lights flashing. Anyway, a few measurements with the voltmeter over the next few days confirmed the battery appeared to be heading south (wouldn't hold at 12.8v) and when it would get down to about 12.2, the horn would go off and lights would flash like the alarm had been activated.

New battery and no more problems.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IT L GO said:
I got this from another forum

The horns them selves can be disconnected or you can remove fuse# 11 in the instrument Panel electrical center. That will allow you to use the car. The horn contacts in the air bag have a tendancy to go bad! Guess how you have to fix it?? Remove the air bag!!

Try pressing and massaging on the face of the air bag (horns disconnected) while you warm up the rubber with a hair dryer. It's a shot in the dark but it could save you LOTS of money!

The BCM can cause the horns to honk! When you arm your security system the BCM (if programmed to do so) will beep the horn, If someone sets off the alarm the BCM will cause the horns to honk.

Another possibility is you may have a bad horn relay. Relay# 36 in the instrument Panel electrical center.

Reconnect the battery and see if you still have the problem. Sometimes the BCM just needs to be reset by disconnecting the battery.

My bet is you have a bad switch in the air bag cover.
Most certain it is the switch as I had to keep tapping until it stopped and then if I tap it again it would go off.
I got the GM extended warranty (bumper to bumper)
I can't wait till I have to twist someone's neck at the Chevy place and fight to get the horn fixed and argue about the mods, headers, H/C, Fast,TB etc, that made the horn switch go bad.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
22655TD said:
Most certain it is the switch as I had to keep tapping until it stopped and then if I tap it again it would go off.
I got the GM extended warranty (bumper to bumper)
I can't wait till I have to twist someone's neck at the Chevy place and fight to get the horn fixed and argue about the mods, headers, H/C, Fast,TB etc, that made the horn switch go bad.

The lot boys and the mechanics's are going to have a ball road testing your car. Let us know how the fix turns out. :cheers:

·
Registered
437 Posts
I wish my wife would do that on her own!!!! :p

·
Registered
31 Posts
i had the same thing happen to my Z 6 months ago, the horn relay shorted out and the dealer replaced it under warranty, they also said that there was a bulletin out on the problem, havent had trouble since the horn just started blowing and wouldnt shut off, when you did get it to go off it would stop for a bit then start blowing again, pull the fuse take it to the dealer, they didnt mess up my tune or anything when mine was fixed

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ditto for me. Returning from Arizona Route 66 fun run with the sun beating down on windshield and back of airbag as we travelled east in the late AM. Horn Just started honking, suprised the [email protected] out of me. Thought the wife was stting on her key fob or setting off the alarm somehow... Anyway I smacked the air bag a few times and it went off. I had just commented to the wife that this happening could get you in trouble if you pulled up behind a truck load of ******** and the horn started honking by itself when I caught an old pickup travelling slowly down the road AND THE HORN WENT OFF! Smacked the horn to shut it off very quickly and passed smartly without making eye contact. WHEW. Got to the next town and pulled fuse #11. Following Monday it was in the shop, and sure enough it was the switch in the airbag. The bad part was I had just paid Andy Loomis (the pinstriper) to paint the emblem in the air bag and GM wasn't paying for that (well not without a claim). I'm just glad it happened before the warranty was up - $750 for the air bag I hear...

Old thread I know, but I thought it was worth bringing up...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts