Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been doing a lot of thinking since the intro of the new Z and its 505hp/470tq (SAE). Not sure I want to pay the tradein difference, and I really like the notch-back C5Z. As per a poll in the C6Z area (buying or not buying), it seems I'm in the majority with keeping my car for a while. I'm now thinking of modding to get to 500hp (CAI/H/C/headers/tune). I realize it's not the full package the C6Z has, but I'm OK with that. I'm looking specifically at LG Motorsports, MTI, and 21st Century Musclecars. Anybody else with the HP envy?? Any recommendations from you modded guys as to which tuner to go with and why??? Thanks in advance for your opinions. I now feel much better having admited and shared my HP envy :p . Drew

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
What's your budget? LG has a "special" that includes your choice of one of their "G" cams (kind of partial to the G5X3 myself :D ) and a set of AFR 205 heads w/ 921 dual springs (I'm kind of partial to these heads as well...59cc version :yeadog: ) for under $3000.00 (uninstalled). I am sure they could do the install for you as well along with a tune. :thumb:

If your budget is a bit bigger, add the FAST 90/NW 90 mm TB (I'm kind of partial to these two mods...gee, I've said that 3 times already :lol: ). With these mods and of course, a set of LG headers (I wish I could say I'm partial to these as well, but, unfortunately I chose differently :roll: ) and you'll have a combination that should help ward off those evil LS7 spirits. ;)

Don

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No budget - if I'm going to do it I want to do it right. I've been leaning towards LGM for a while, and can get there easily from where I live (about 4 1/2 hrs). Thanks for the input. Drew

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I am probably looking at doing the same thing. My guess is the C6 Z06 if 505hp will only make 420 or so at the rear wheel.

A good HC on our car's is at least 440rwhp and both cars are the same weight.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Couple of things...LG is a race shop...so, you will get race treatment...not to say that's a bad thing...it's going to be fast. MTI is a conservative shop...so, you'll get something reliable and pretty fast...21st is a great shop...but, what you get is going to be really conservative unless you go with a turbo package and give up the warranty. Then, if money is no object...you can go really fast. :guiness:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
case2307 said:
Couple of things...LG is a race shop...so, you will get race treatment...not to say that's a bad thing...it's going to be fast. MTI is a conservative shop...so, you'll get something reliable and pretty fast...21st is a great shop...but, what you get is going to be really conservative unless you go with a turbo package and give up the warranty. Then, if money is no object...you can go really fast. :guiness:
Thunder Racing can give you conservative or race. My Vette is a "RSP" Reliable, streetable, and powerful" They do awesome work.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
amriche said:
No budget - if I'm going to do it I want to do it right. I've been leaning towards LGM for a while, and can get there easily from where I live (about 4 1/2 hrs). Thanks for the input. Drew
If you do not have a budget - I did not - go to Thuder Racing. I have their 427 C5R and its an awesome handbuilt engine making 540 rwp without any reliability issues. All internals are B&B'd within 0.5 grams. Do not expect them to build it overnight. Do expect it to be perfect and to have a 1 year no questions asked warranty.

·
Registered
808 Posts
amriche said:
Been doing a lot of thinking since the intro of the new Z and its 505hp/470tq (SAE). Not sure I want to pay the tradein difference, and I really like the notch-back C5Z. As per a poll in the C6Z area (buying or not buying), it seems I'm in the majority with keeping my car for a while. I'm now thinking of modding to get to 500hp (CAI/H/C/headers/tune). I realize it's not the full package the C6Z has, but I'm OK with that. I'm looking specifically at LG Motorsports, MTI, and 21st Century Musclecars. Anybody else with the HP envy?? Any recommendations from you modded guys as to which tuner to go with and why??? Thanks in advance for your opinions. I now feel much better having admited and shared my HP envy :p . Drew
My car is at 21MC right now for the 500hp package so I'll be able to give you a first-hand answer to your question after the 14th of July when I pick it up.

However, if money is truly no object I would go for a 427 motor from the vendor you feel most comfortable with, which for me was 21MC.

-RR

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that LG can get you 500 crank HP without heads. Heck, With LG's setup if money isn't an issue do the heads and Lou can put what has been mentioned as a conservitive tune on your car and reliability will never be an issue. LG tuned my car about a year ago and I asked for as much HP as I could get from just my header install. I haven't had a problem with the car yet. Still making gobbs of tire spinning Power!! Service at LG is second to none. Lou is a straight up guy to deal with. :yeadog:

·
Registered
119 Posts
i dont see lg in the vendor section. a link anyone?

·
Registered
788 Posts
I was so pissed the day I heard $66,000 to start on the new Z, I called LPE the very next day to schedule the magnuson install. My car gets picked up tomorrow (sunday), wooo hoooo. I'm in Z-withdrawal already and it hasn't even been shipped yet. I seem to be in the same boat as you. I still like my car very much, but was waiting on the price of the new one before any mods, in case it was worth the trade up. I was hoping for 60K. GM missed that mark by a long shot. So now I'd rather give my money to LPE.

Can't wait.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Recommend finding a guy thats close to home. Most of the time, ya take the car back for minor stuff, till the setup is to your liking. If you pick somebody close by, the whole process is much more enjoyable. Good luck in your hunt for RWHP.

Zrod

·
Registered
596 Posts
amriche said:
Hey if you really don't have a budget build a 447 or 457 tailored to your driving needs and I'm sure you'll come up with a 600+ to the rear wheels daily driver on pump gas. :guiness: Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Antivenom 447 said:
Hey if you really don't have a budget build a 447 or 457 tailored to your driving needs and I'm sure you'll come up with a 600+ to the rear wheels daily driver on pump gas. :guiness: Good Luck!
Andy - Are you going to be at the Fest? Come find me or I'll find you and get caught up.

Warm Regards,

Felix B.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the replys. Seems LG and 21CMC are respected around here, and fairly close to me. Just need to squeeze the trigger now. Drew :yeadog:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts