Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2001 Z and when the AC is on it blows warm air out the driver side and middle vents and cold air out the two passenger side vents. Anybody know what the problem is and how to fix it??

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
If you haven't tried this already and you have climate control. Turn your system to auto and dial in the temp setting you want, (72 degree's or what ever), the lower the setting the faster the fan will run. The left side control operate's the drivers side. The pass has it's own control. The pass can scroll there temp control wheel to what ever they want. If you have already did the above kick me in the urs. Try dialing in your temp in manual also. If all else fails put the window down and take it to an AC guy. Could be a temp sensor on the driver side.

D.J.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It blows hot air on driver's side no matter what the temp setting. No HVAC codes have been thrown. Pass side vents blow cold air, so I'm thinkin it may be some sort of diverter in the system. ANYBODY?

·
Registered
165 Posts
These same symptoms happened to me in my 2004 when I was on vacation up in Kalispell, Montana last summer. The dealer thought it was the control for the driver / passenger climate zones and said it would take 8 hours to drop the dash and replace the controls. But they didn't like the fact that it was setting no codes so they looked a little closer and found a very, very slow leak of freon at the compressor. The attempted a repair by tightening the fittings and recharging the AC but that did not appear to completely fix the problem (which saved my vacation because it got the AC working again till I could get home, thank you very much Eisinger Motors - I sent the survey back to GM with all THUMBS UP!). When I got back to Arizona I took it to Superstition Chevy (now Power Chevy) in East Mesa and Thomas Mucelli got the compressor replaced for me. I think you may have low freon like we did. Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats exactly what I didn't want to hear, no warranty and all. Thanks for the help though, I guess I'll take it in and see what they say. Any idea what it cost to fix?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
ZBlkOne said:
Somebody's gotta know whats wrong. HELP :-?
I had exactly the same problem. It's an actuator that takes less than an hour to replace. My dealer happen to have one in his parts room and replaced it under warranty.

·
Registered
165 Posts
ZBlkOne said:
Thats exactly what I didn't want to hear, no warranty and all. Thanks for the help though, I guess I'll take it in and see what they say. Any idea what it cost to fix?
I didn't see the $$$ amounts because it was warranty. Not cheap I am sure. To confirm if it is the actuator or low freon anyone with a set of guages can tell you if it is low or not.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
mwkyzer said:
I didn't see the $$$ amounts because it was warranty. Not cheap I am sure. To confirm if it is the actuator or low freon anyone with a set of guages can tell you if it is low or not.

If it's low freon then I don't think it wouldn't be blowing cold air out the passenger vents. I still think it's the actuator under the driver side dash.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
The CJ2 dual zone climate control is a control system that has a main temperature control knob, drivers side, which controls the main temperature to the cabin.
Now, the passenger side knob will only change the passenger side vent temperature 10 degrees colder or hotter from the drivers side setting, it will NEVER go totally hot or cold. Nor, will it show a temperature change on the display.
If you move the drivers side knob, and nothing happens, the controller is fixed, and may be reinitialized by disconecting the battery for 30 seconds.

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4018&highlight=codes

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
This might help you also.

Bulletin No.: 03-01-39-004 Date: April, 2003 TECHNICAL

Subject:HVAC Controls Intermittently Inoperative or Improperly Responding (Reset HVAC Controller)

Models:1997-2003 Chevrolet Corvette

Condition: Some customers may comment that the HVAC controller may have become intermittently inoperative or erratic in operation. In most all cases, the HVAC controller will function normally when the vehicle is examined by the technician. Additional comments may include a variance in the air temperature from driver to passenger side air vents.

Cause: The customer may be turning the temperature knob from warm to cool or from cool to warm very rapidly. Under certain conditions, if thetemperature knob is rotated very quickly, it may exceed the ability of the HVAC controller to interpret the desired action.

Correction: Cycling the key to the oft position will power off the HVAC controller and reset it, restoring normal function to the HVAC system on the next vehicle start. Instruct the customer that this is a normal function of the unit and that no repairs are necessary.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Dragon said:
If it's low freon then I don't think it wouldn't be blowing cold air out the passenger vents. I still think it's the actuator under the driver side dash.
Dragon, I appreciate your opinion BUT the exact series of events I described in my first post DID happen to my 2004 Z06. According to the Service Manager and the Lead Mechanic at Eisinger Motors in Kallispell Montana (and I was standing right there when they tested it and discovered the leak) when the freon gets low the control unit gets confused and shuts down one side trying to cool the second side to the level requested. It can't cost a lot to have a set of gauges put on and the freon levels checked. Might save ZBlkOne a few bucks replacing somnething that is not broken. I am not saying it is ONLY possible that this is the ONLY solution, just that this symptom CAN occur. Believe me, sitting in a Z06 with hot air coming out the ducts on the drivers side and cold air coming out the ducts on the passenger side is not something I would just make up so that I can lead someone astray on a forum. It happened. It may be happening to ZBlkOne. Can't you accept that?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
mwkyzer said:
Dragon, I appreciate your opinion BUT the exact series of events I described in my first post DID happen to my 2004 Z06. According to the Service Manager and the Lead Mechanic at Eisinger Motors in Kallispell Montana (and I was standing right there when they tested it and discovered the leak) when the freon gets low the control unit gets confused and shuts down one side trying to cool the second side to the level requested. It can't cost a lot to have a set of gauges put on and the freon levels checked. Might save ZBlkOne a few bucks replacing somnething that is not broken. I am not saying it is ONLY possible that this is the ONLY solution, just that this symptom CAN occur. Believe me, sitting in a Z06 with hot air coming out the ducts on the drivers side and cold air coming out the ducts on the passenger side is not something I would just make up so that I can lead someone astray on a forum. It happened. It may be happening to ZBlkOne. Can't you accept that?
I can accept it. In May I drove 600 miles with hot air blowing out the drivers side and cold air out the passenger side. It was so hot I had to turn off the AC and go with the windows down. When I took it to my dealer's service department they put it on their computer and told me it was the actuator and after replacing it everything worked good as new. I'm not trying to argue but giving an opinion on my own experience since one of the purposes of the forum is to help each other with problems. I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers but it looks like we experienced different solutions to the same problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks a lot for the help guys, I'm gonna take it in soon to find out the problem and I'll let everyone know what the culprit was. I knew somebody had to have had the same thing happen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yup it was the freon level. There was a leak at the compressor. $1,000 bucks and a new compressor later and it's blowing nice and cold again. Would have rather spent the $$ on mods to challenge my buddy with an 06 Z on order. Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts