Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I got this code P1416 HC which is the air system bank 2-B.

what the heck is the air system bank 2B? should i have this checked?

What happened was the following. I bought the car on Tuesday, i had my Z (20k miles). On Thur I brought it to chevy for an oil change,and engine shampoo.

On Friday night, before i took out the car, i was looking at my engine bay, and i inspected the stock air filter. It was a little bit dirty/greasy, but I put it back in anyway and will order a new one. I went for a quick spin, I pushed it a *tiny* bit in 3rd gear, and all of a sudden i got the "check" light. So i thought it was because of the engine shampoo... or something.

So did i get this air bank code error because, maybe by manipulating the dirty air filter, some dirt got into my intake or something, and messed up something...something? The code also shows it was "H" so there was a previous fault on this.

any thoughts anyone?

thanks

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Things that can cause P1416.......
Defective AIR checkvalve (very common)
Defective O2 sensor
Defective PCM
Leak in AIR tubing
Blocked AIR tubing or blocked port.
Gasket Leak, either missing gasket or loose manifold/header.
Misrouted AIR line
Disconnected AIR line.

As for damage to the system or your vehicle, the AIR system only runs during cold start, and then for about 1 minute. Its used to pump fresh air into the exhaust path. This quickly heats the catalytic converters to proper operating temperature. A malfunctioning system will cause increased emissions during start. The only damage it could do, would be if the checkvalve sticks in the open position. This causes exhaust gases to damage the rubber AIR tubes, and possibly the AIR pump. Its usually okay to drive the car for a short period of time, but long term its not good, especially if the system is stuck open.
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75408&highlight=P1416

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is it difficult to replace the air check valve? i did a search, and couldn't find any pictures of an air check valve. I cleared the computer, and the check engine has not come back.

I guess i could start by changing the air check valve myself, as long as it is not too complicated. But first, i have to know what this air check valve looks like, and its location.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
The rightside check valve (which code 1416 is) requires removal of the intake manifold to gain access to, unlike the easy to get to left side check valve.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
remove the intake manifold? yikes, sounds complicated. I never removed an intake manifold before. I am pretty handy, i could probably do it if i had step my step instructions with photo.

otherwise, i will just wait and see if i get the code again, and just take it to the dealer, they will probably rape me.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
mannygmt2 said:
remove the intake manifold? yikes, sounds complicated. I never removed an intake manifold before. I am pretty handy, i could probably do it if i had step my step instructions with photo.

otherwise, i will just wait and see if i get the code again, and just take it to the dealer, they will probably rape me.
Intake Manifold
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=5

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, I *attempted* to remove the rubber tubing from the spliter, but i was not able. I have difficulty getting my big hands in that lower area, and i was not even able to loosen the rubber line from the air pump side of the metal splitter, so I gave up.

anyway, i checked my codes, and i still get the P1416C (but no check engine yet) So I guess any day soon, i will get another same code and the check engine will light up.

So, I guess i will have to bring it to the dealer, with no warranty! I am kind of scared that the dealer is going to rape me, most of the chevy dealers rarely even service Z06's. I almost feel like telling the mechanic where to check for the problem since this forum is just a tremendous source of information.

so any tips of what to tell the dealer about this check code? Cause i rather have them change a simple air check valve, than the O2 sensor.

thanks again for all the help

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
emission warranty? how long is that? My Z was purchased in Jan 2002 (i have no idea how someone could buy a Z06 in January 2002, there is like 3 feet of snow here in january) I was told that the warranty was 3 years, 60 000km and that my warranty was over in Jan. 05

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have the same code on my car.. I called the dealer the other day, the service manager told me that it'd still be under warranty. I checked in the owner's manual and it says 7 years on some components (emission). I'll call another dealer to verify.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I just called around to verify, and the only two things that is warranty for 7 years or 80,000 miles are the catylic converter and the computer.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've gotten this code on my 02 Z06 a couple of times in 2.5 months.
One thing I've noticed, and I don't know if any of you here has, is that a symbol of a catalityc converter lights up on my speedometer, by the Z06 tag, and between the 30-40mph harsh marks

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'll tell you what I did. I unscrewed the metal line from the passenger side where it enters the manifold. Then I unhooked the rubber hose where it goes into the driver's side valve and pulled it up so a liquid would flow downhill. There is also a junction on the drivers inner fender that I unhooked so I could blow thru it. I ran PB Blaster thru the hose that attached to the drivers valve and blew thru the other hose while holding my finger over the same end I put the blaster in. I even tapped the valve behind the manifold with a long screw driver. Needless to say, when I started I couldn't even blow thru it. When I was done it seemed pretty free. We'll see how long it lasts. I just wasn't ready to pull the manifold yet. Hope that may help.
John

·
Registered
528 Posts
That sounded like a good quick fix. I may try that instead. Thanks for the great idea. BTW, does anybody know the GM part number for the check valve?

Thanks,
ddle

·
Registered
520 Posts
I've had that code for more than 2 years.. until I recently had headers installed. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it more of a benign problem than anything else.

I would just reset the code when it popped up and the car drove perfectly fine - inspection included.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Had it done last week, didn't have time to do it myself. Here is what they did.

1 12561494 pipe $70
1 12561495 F-pipe $60
2 12553617 gasket $3
2 22048212 valve asm $55
1 12533587 gasket kit $76
work 4138 CHTC 4.5 hrs $441
all for rusted pipes and check valves for code PP1416,
to replace bank one and two check valves and pipes.

i have an extended warranty, but found out it is only the
basic and it did not cover this. now i know about warranties.
hopw this helps.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hey Manny, this code has been going on with me for 2 years. I cleared the code and the computer went into "not ready" mode and I couldn't pass emission inspection.
I ordered the part from Gene Culley for $23 including shipping. I wasn't about to let a dealer take my car apart, I did the job myself. After, some cuts and scrapes I did it without removing the intake. You have to have patience and be careful of the wire harnesses that are back of the manifold, but definitely doable. $23 is definitedly cheaper than 3.5 hours of labor and anything negative a dealer would end up doing to your car.
Just thought i'd give my .02 worth.
Good luck,
Bob:z:

·
10,998 Posts
I had my dealer fix this but they did not remove the air intake.

·
AKA Jack Clark
851 Posts
i just got a p1415hc code (is this similiar to 1416). i called 21cmc (prepared my engine) and was told it was an air problem. i checked for kinks in hoses and found nothing so i cleared the check engine code. according to 21cmc the effect of the code is not going to harm the engine. i will have the engine checked the next time i am in dallas. the code has not returned. whatever happen to spark plugs, points, condensers and timing lights. damn, i am getting old:( :D

jack

1 - 18 of 18 Posts