Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
some of the talk that is going around on different forums is driving me nuts. :cen:

Quote"Looks more like proof of Jan Magnussens abilities and the cars unstable nature than proof of how fast and poised it is."

The Z has run world class times whether or not it got air or not doesn't make a difference. People that are making fun should be counting themselves lucky it did get air or it may have been even faster.

link:http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=121316&an=0&page=0#121316

Kingpin

·
Registered
296 Posts
The simple fact that the new Z got air indicates to me that this car has got some serious muscle. It's a production everyday driver and for that simple reason you can't put all the ground effects or aerodynamic trimmings on it without looking rediculous. GM is not selling us a track car. It is selling us a sportscar that is every bit track-able. You want stability diven at its extreme edge, then go put some body kits on it. A large down force rear spoiler would sufficiently cure most of its ills. Again, GM is smart enough to know that you can't sell this car with a [email protected] wing in the back to a bunch of 50-year-olds, who happen to make up the majority of the buyers. (Sorry old farts, no disrespect here ;) ).

Let's be honest, only 2 or 3 production vehicle have done better times at the Ring and they all cost 5 times more. Call it what you want. I will take my unstable Z06 than your stable GT2 anyday of the year and whip your @ss all around.

·
Registered
603 Posts
The main limiting factor on the new Z is the rubber, which is good, but not on par w/ the likes of Michelin PS2s which the Carrera GT rides on. Getting air only means the car has alot of poke.

Too bad they couldn't slap on some DOT race rubber to see what the car could have done w/ those... :thumb:

·
Registered
48 Posts
People will find what ever excuse they can to take shots at the Corvette if they want to retain the bragging rights they think they paid for in some other car. I really don't care what non-Corvette owners want to say. There are many great cars in the world. However, I have no doubt that the Corvette is by far the best for the money and in many cases the best at any price.
Mike
7:42.9 speaks volumes by itself.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I think the fact that Jan Magnussen said he would not have wanted to drive another single lap in the car at those speeds speaks volumes in regards to level of refinement - or lack thereof. Some people will love the raw nature of the Z06, but for others, the fact that the car is so close to the cusp of out of control is going to be a major turnoff. So I can see why people would say what they're saying...

·
Registered
101 Posts
That course is very rough and many cars break from hitting too hard.

Place a camera at the know hills where cars catch air and any fast car will look wild.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Many different driving styles exist. One of which could get the car airborn and still make a fast time.

No wrong way to go as long as the drivers in control.

Cool photo op! (maybe this was just a photo op and not the fastest lap time.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Cool photo op! (maybe this was just a photo op and not the fastest lap time"

This is what I have been thinking. It may have been one of the warm up laps(Mag' said he did 2 2x2laps). If so all as it is is just a picture and thats all.

Can somebody still tell me if the timed lap at the Ring is from a standing start or a flying start?

Kingpin

·
Registered
221 Posts
I dont' think Jan said the car was unstable, but the new Z06 is NOT a race car, but it has race car power. I am sure without all the areo it's a pretty interesting ride at those speeds. So compared to a real race car it is unstable, but as far as road cars go...I"m sure it's just fine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Jay2002WS6 said:
I think the fact that Jan Magnussen said he would not have wanted to drive another single lap in the car at those speeds speaks volumes in regards to level of refinement - or lack thereof. Some people will love the raw nature of the Z06, but for others, the fact that the car is so close to the cusp of out of control is going to be a major turnoff. So I can see why people would say what they're saying...
I agree. The quote raises the question of overall balance (especially if the car really took two hops at that point) and he is not alone. For the current generation of z06's I have had more than one driving instructor say they were surprised such a car is made available to the "public" given its behaviour at the limit. They found no such problems on the same courses with some other high performance sports cars running the same times or better. Additionally a recent set of laps where the c6 vette did very well had to be done even at the hands of a professional driver with the traction control on to obtain the best lap time because of the amount of oversteer on corner exit. Fast does not necessarily mean well behaved and fast.

I love the vette (and my former z06 was an absolute blast at all speeds under the limit) but I would like to have the car balanced so that it could driven multiple laps smoothly at or near the limit. In fact Heinricy himself in testing the cadilac at the 'ring mentions how the design goal should include balance, precision, integration and driver feedback as well as just speed.

I am sure with the talent available at GM they will be working on optimizing all of these things. I think it is fair to measure success in these other dimensions of performance against the competition as well as absolute times obtained by professional drivers.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Ditto Robbins columns. A 21st century street sports car should be like endurance racing car: a car that can do fast laps endlessly without tiring the driver.

What is surprising, given the aggressive power and tires with modest weight and relatively high price (@$65-70k $2-300 more for shocks is not the same as at $20k or $45k), you would have thought this car would have been easy to drive fast.

Really, which would you add to your car: $3500 aftermarket price connecting rods or $3500 aftermarket price shocks absorbers? Since Penske shocks are advertised and Ti LS1 rods are scarce (custom only), the question has been answered.

·
Registered
380 Posts
i would compare it to an F16... w/o electronics its totally unstable, but it will simply excel in manuverability because of it....

Anyways.... its all envy of what an american car should be and it is.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
KINGPIN said:
Can somebody still tell me if the timed lap at the Ring is from a standing start or a flying start?

Kingpin
Flying lap - and I think they use the start finish at T13.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
To me it's very clear what he is expressing is that a car with that much capability, without downforce as produced by wings on race cars, is downright scary to drive. Meaning, anything that fast should have wings. (Reversed wings, of course). I take it as a compliment.

I might be wrong in the interpretation, but don't think I am.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
TetraU said:
Again, GM is smart enough to know that you can't sell this car with a [email protected] wing in the back to a bunch of 50-year-olds, who happen to make up the majority of the buyers. (Sorry old farts, no disrespect here ;) ).

you can't sell it to a bunch of 30 year olds either with a big wing on the back... :z:

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
What's wrong with a [email protected] wing? I agree it's stupid if it doesn't _do_ anything, but if it's functional, and gives you more downforce, what's the problem? There's a reason they put them on F1 and Indy cars, ya know!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Z06Dad said:
you can't sell it to a bunch of 30 year olds either with a big wing on the back... :z:
Come to think of it, you are right. I wouldn't want one with the big wing either.

I think J. M. meant it to be a compliment, saying that a car with that kind of potential to go so fast should have more race car assessories. Read his statement about this car having nearly as much power as his LeMan car. That was very telling!

I believe if they put on the tires and the wings, the new Z could easily dip into the low 30's or even high 20's. :guiness:

·
Registered
380 Posts
TetraU said:
Come to think of it, you are right. I wouldn't want one with the big wing either.

I think J. M. meant it to be a compliment, saying that a car with that kind of potential to go so fast should have more race car assessories. Read his statement about this car having nearly as much power as his LeMan car. That was very telling!

I believe if they put on the tires and the wings, the new Z could easily dip into the low 30's or even high 20's. :guiness:
high 20s low 30s doubt it... high 30s ... yes...

Too much wing will hurt your top end.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have not posted here in a while, but this thread caught my attention due to a discussion I had last night with some guy in Switzerland.
I took my supercharged Z in Germany when I moved from Boston. It was a blast to drive on the Autobahn (I never drove it either at Hockenheim or on the Nurburgring). One thing I can say for sure is that anyone that was doing some serious racing at Hockenheim with their Z had a wing on the back.
I can vouch for the fact that running against Porsche turbos at high sped on the highway (somewhat over 160mph), the car felt unstable in the curves. I loved my Z (it was destroyed by a garage), but I am sure the guy in the Porsche does not have sweaty hands at the end of the run we had like I did!
My car was dynoed at 498rwhp, and I got a lot of respect for its power, but many times I wished I was driving the Porsche...
No matter what, I will probably buy the new Z in Switzerland if I can put my hands on one.

:cheers:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts