Corvette Z06 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Although I do not own a Z06, I have tracked two and rode as in instructor in a couple other as well as several C5s. The current Z06 is a quick car and can get a little risky at speed but so do tons of other refined sports cars. That being said, if any normal person off the street buys these cars and tries to duplicate the intensity we drive them at on the track they deserve to lose their license and crash their car. If the cars are made to be track cars then by all means street drive them but not aggressively, take that to the track.

All in all I think the new Z06 will be a monster. I am sure it will be a handful for 90% of track junkies that do not have enough DEs under their belts but want to show up and try to be the "big swingin d*ck." That group of guys will probably end up crashing several of these awesome machines which sucks. As for the more advanced drivers I am sure this car will still be a handful but with discpline they are going to be very very very hard to catch with most street cars.

BTW you want unstable, try to track an early Dodge Viper, that is unstable! :thumb:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Building a car like this is a compromise. Yes, they could have made the suspension stiffer, but how many people want a car that rides like a GT2/3 or Elise for daily driving. Yes, they could put a big wing on the back, but they have to be careful, it doesn't add a lot of drag.

It is my understanding that a many cars get air at that point in the track, and that's why the photographers are there. To make any real assessment, we would have to see how bent out of shape other street cars are at that point.

As for it being "unrefined", I don't think you could pull a 7:43 without quite a bit of refinement. The real test of refinement will come out when people start driving the car, and realizing, it is quite comfortable to drive everyday AND it pulled a 7:43 at Nring. You are running at race car speeds with street equipment, which to me says a lot about that street equipment.

Let's wait and see what the car is like before passing judgement.

Michael

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't think anyone is arguing you shouldn't get some air there at flugplaz; that wasn't the point that raised the questions. No car I am aware of has taken a double bounce, and there a lots of pictures of race cars and porsches and bmw's looking much more composed at that spot--maybe it was a bad lap or a bad picture but it does not look like other well sorted cars at that point to me. In addition Jan was quoted as saying "I couldn´t have driven one single lap more. I wouldn´t have liked to drive a single meter (3 feet) more with myself at the wheel at that speed", not exactly words of reassurance for repeatability and composure--sounds more like a scary at the limit lap put down by an unusually skilled driver. In another forum a vette fan mentions that on a high speed run with his modified corvette down the autobann he envied a porsche tt's stability--saying he had hands he was sure were more sweaty than his rivals.

I hope that GM does everything right--but for me that will mean dimensions of performance beyond a hot lap by Magnusson.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
English is a second language to Jan, and I therefore think trying to understand exactly what he meant may be difficult. I think we can say from his comments that the Z is not as stable at 200 as his racer, nor should anyone expect it to be. A new 911S is not as stable as a Cup car, either.

GM will come out with some speed sensitive spoilers for this car, I feel confident. Frankly, GM should add as options automatic front and rear spoilers and an active suspension that on the push of a button lowers and rakes the car for track use (which will also increase camber). This entire package could be done for 5K.

As for all of the Eurotrash on that website bashing the new Z car, I'll just say I run lots of DEs and very few street P-cars have anything for my C5 Z.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Jay2002WS6 said:
I think the fact that Jan Magnussen said he would not have wanted to drive another single lap in the car at those speeds speaks volumes in regards to level of refinement - or lack thereof. Some people will love the raw nature of the Z06, but for others, the fact that the car is so close to the cusp of out of control is going to be a major turnoff. So I can see why people would say what they're saying...
I agree, don't buy this car at any price. BTW - Do you have a good spot on the list and :blush: can I have it?

·
Registered
581 Posts
GM has been working aggressively to improve their handling package. The question is about how successful they have been.

Again, a great car is one you can run flat out continously...both fast and stable. While a good driver can drive a ragged fast car quickly for a couple of laps, that doesn't win a race.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The double bounce and Magneson's comments are interesting. It does bring to mind that perhaps any of today's street cars pushed to those speeds is going to be hard to drive, and lack composure. I'm guessing the Carrera GT was probably pretty well composed, but it's a $500,000 mid-engine car with a moveable wing. A better comparison would be the Porsche 911 Turbo, with another 60 hp added. It may not look so composed pushing it down the track at those speeds either.

I'm sure they will continue to improve the Z06's track performance, while making it as good or better as a daily driver.

Michael

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
What other 66 grand stock sports car runs 7.43's at the "ring" ?

Got to be well composed to accomplish this time. Thats the facination with the "RING" ......

there are so many variations of surfaces, elevations and radius in turns that if a car is well developed it will be able to set a fast lap time. Since the C6 Z06 turns a 7.43 lap time....THE CORVETTE is all about composure...

Its not a hp track because look at the fine time set by the 500 hp viper...

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don't get it. Both Road and Track, Autoweek (Aug 8) and Corvette magazine are claiming that the vette that raced at the Ring was either the blue devil or similar highly tweaked vette. They say GM had a weeks time to tweak the cars tires, suspension and tune to exact the best performance.

Quote "A spy shooter has put Chevy's continuing denials of a super vette in doubt. Photog Bernd Rauh recently captured this machine undergoing testing at the Ring with Jan Magnussen at the wheel. Code named Blue Devil, it is rumored o have extensive carbon-fiber bodywork to lower the weight under 3000 lbs and 600 or more horses from a blown LS7 spinoff. The test car just looked like a blue Z06, BUT THE LAP TIMES TOLD A DIFFERENT STORY. If the program were to see production, a low six figure MSRP would seem likely."

I could care less and have no dog in this fight, but what the heck? Did that vette at the ring have any reseblance to the vette that will be in the showrooms, or was the fix in for some phony free publicity with a tweaked super car used to promote the stock version?

·
Registered
296 Posts
PDCjonny said:
I don't get it. Both Road and Track, Autoweek (Aug 8) and Corvette magazine are claiming that the vette that raced at the Ring was either the blue devil or similar highly tweaked vette. They say GM had a weeks time to tweak the cars tires, suspension and tune to exact the best performance.

Quote "A spy shooter has put Chevy's continuing denials of a super vette in doubt. Photog Bernd Rauh recently captured this machine undergoing testing at the Ring with Jan Magnussen at the wheel. Code named Blue Devil, it is rumored o have extensive carbon-fiber bodywork to lower the weight under 3000 lbs and 600 or more horses from a blown LS7 spinoff. The test car just looked like a blue Z06, BUT THE LAP TIMES TOLD A DIFFERENT STORY. If the program were to see production, a low six figure MSRP would seem likely."

I could care less and have no dog in this fight, but what the heck? Did that vette at the ring have any reseblance to the vette that will be in the showrooms, or was the fix in for some phony free publicity with a tweaked super car used to promote the stock version?
Let me ask you? Why would you tweak a car that only goes 13 seconds faster than your older version Z to promote the new version Z?

Stupid is as stupid says!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
TetraU said:
Let me ask you? Why would you tweak a car that only goes 13 seconds faster than your older version Z to promote the new version Z?

Why do you constantly call people names and personally attack members of this board.

:bmad: YEAH. I AM TALKING TO YOU TETRAU . :bmad:

Its a shame because you make some good comments but they are most often followed by attacking someone personally.

If you are not aware of how things work around here try reading this sticky:
http://z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84177

I am really getting sick of either your bad attitude or your inability to think before you type.

See how to do it. I call you every name in the book when I see you post something disrespectful. But I don't type it in.

Kingpin

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
I heard a rumour from a cousin of a friend of the dog catcher to the king whose uncle is the gas station attendant at the ring....

Well... he said look out for a new all-out street legal car lap record to be confirmed in the next couple days.

And it is fast, the car light, and the run unstable and almost ended in tragedy.

The bottom line is that any time a vehicle is pushed to it's limits on that track it is as dangerous and crazy as pushing a car to it's limits aorund the Isle of Man - or though your own neighbourhood - there is zero room for error and any weakness in the car will be highlighted.

BTW - the new fastest car is a German, for which there is no substitute... and I will leave it at that until the official word gets out :p

·
Registered
162 Posts
TetraU said:

My question to you is do you realize how much 13 seconds is????????? In ANY venue, racers work and tweak to gain tenths of seconds. 13 seconds may as well be an hour. I won't quote your last sentence. But it is ironic.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
I look forward to the day of ownership even though ;) its such an "unstable at speed vehicle" :lol:

This C6 Z06 kicks @ss and takes no prisnors! (sp)

World class American sports car for 66 grand takes on the worlds best and does a pretty dam good job knocking them all off their high horse!

America Rules!!!!!!!! (j/k but true)

JMO

JB

·
Registered
55 Posts
RC45 said:
I heard a rumour from a cousin of a friend of the dog catcher to the king whose uncle is the gas station attendant at the ring....

Well... he said look out for a new all-out street legal car lap record to be confirmed in the next couple days.

And it is fast, the car light, and the run unstable and almost ended in tragedy.

The bottom line is that any time a vehicle is pushed to it's limits on that track it is as dangerous and crazy as pushing a car to it's limits aorund the Isle of Man - or though your own neighbourhood - there is zero room for error and any weakness in the car will be highlighted.

BTW - the new fastest car is a German, for which there is no substitute... and I will leave it at that until the official word gets out :p

Yet another low time for the CGT? That car continues to fascinate me.

·
Registered
561 Posts
KINGPIN said:
Why do you constantly call people names and personally attack members of this board.

:bmad: YEAH. I AM TALKING TO YOU TETRAU . :bmad:

Its a shame because you make some good comments but they are most often followed by attacking someone personally.

If you are not aware of how things work around here try reading this sticky:
http://z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84177

I am really getting sick of either your bad attitude or your inability to think before you type.

See how to do it. I call you every name in the book when I see you post something disrespectful. But I don't type it in.

Kingpin

Kingpin - Maybe TetraU was calling the jounalists that appear to be misinformed "stupid". Just giving the benefit of the doubt.

And 13 seconds on the ring is a major improvement. Imagine being almost 2 seconds per lap quicker around Spa. Turn a Minardi into a McLaren.

·
Registered
469 Posts
PDCjonny said:

Just more proof that magazines are for entertainment purposes only and not a good source of information if you ask me. :puke:

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
gradenko said:
Yet another low time for the CGT? That car continues to fascinate me.
Surprisingly it's not the CGT - but a 911-based car - and it blew the CGT away to the tune of over 10 seconds :sneaky:

oooppss... I already said too much :p

·
Registered
55 Posts
RC45 said:
Surprisingly it's not the CGT - but a 911-based car - and it blew the CGT away to the tune of over 10 seconds :sneaky:

oooppss... I already said too much :p
You must be really plugged in to the source, RC. I can find nothing on the Porsche boards.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts