Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which mounting position and detection strategy has worked best for you?

Pics would be great /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Thanks,

·
Registered
217 Posts
I used the suction cups and mounted it just to the left of the mirror and below the tinted part of the w/s. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
837 Posts

On 2001-08-19 11:31, NickS wrote:
Which mounting position and detection strategy has worked best for you?
Here is the link to the famous hardwire how-to:

http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/hobbies/corvette/options/valentine_install.html

Mine is mounted in the extreme upper left of the windshield, using the suction cup device. I run the "big L" mode.

The arrows provide valuable intel.

Ranger

Just one day at the drags: best run 12.47 @ 117.4 mph with 60 ft. time of 2.05 on stock tires
Current dyno results (SAE) 345hp 349tq

·
Registered
837 Posts

On 2001-08-19 13:10, NetJunkie wrote:
When you mount it make sure it has a direct line of sight out the front and rear windshield. Be careful not to put it behind the tinting on the windshield.
I understand the sentiment behind NetJunkie's comments. With that said, I find the V1 gives plenty of warning when mounted deep in the tint in the extreme upper left of the windshield. I am more concerned with the detector not being visible from outside the car, than gaining a few hundred feet of additional warning.

Where I mount mine, it's invisible except to the driver. Had a trooper standing outside my window last month and he never saw saw the V1 even when he bent down checking out the dash. We were discussing the fact that I appeared to be substantially exceeding the limit when he shot me with instant -on at 500', but his radar read two mph UNDER the speed limit. BTW, no ticket. Had he seen the V1, might not have turned out that way.

Ranger

·
Registered
837 Posts

On 2001-08-19 14:27, VPRKLLR wrote:
Ranger,

Can you post a pic of where you mounted it?
Here goes VPRKLLR, my first time posting pics.

V1 is mounted in the extreme upper left hand side of the windshield using the standard suction-cup device. I like this position because it makes the V1 all but invisible from outside the car.

Mirror mounts and positioning left or right of the mirror will be visible.

Even where detectors are legal, in a traffic stop, if the trooper sees yours or the suction ring marks after you've crammed the V1 under the seat before he gets to your car, I think it changes the nature of the dialog you'll have.

Ranger

Here is the view from driver's eye level:

The view from behind the driver's head

The view that pesky trooper would have while bending outside the driver's window

The view from the rear

The view from the front

Just one day at the drags: best run 12.47 @ 117.4 mph with 60 ft. time of 2.05 on stock tires
Current dyno results (SAE) 345hp 349tq

·
Registered
619 Posts
Ranger,

Thanks, as they say "a picture is worth a thousand words."

I now know where to mount my V1. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Another queston, How did you route the wiring? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

·
Registered
138 Posts

On 2001-08-19 14:26, mrdatalife spewed forth this drivel:
funny...i JUST finished hard wiring my V1 using the greatlakes mirror mount. *i* think it's pretty good.
Jason:

I thought the mirror mounts didn't work with the electrochromatic mirrors. Does yours? If so where did you get it?

Mike

·
Registered
837 Posts

On 2001-08-19 18:25, VPRKLLR wrote:

How did you route the wiring?
The wire hides in the molding along the top of the windshield all the way over to and down through the A pillar molding.

Check out the link to the famous How-to posted elsewhere in this thread.

I used some black phone cord with premounted RJ11 jacks I bought at Radio Shack. This was after I tried to find a good arrangement for the remote, thereby consuming the cord that came with the V1.

Using this position for the V1 obviates need for the V1-remote. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Ranger

·
Registered
340 Posts
Woah, hold on what does this V-1 thing do, is it a jammer? A radar detector? or does it send a lower speed to the gun??? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

·
Registered
837 Posts

On 2001-08-19 18:50, Vetteless wrote:
Woah, hold on what does this V-1 thing do, is it a jammer? A radar detector? or does it send a lower speed to the gun??? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif
Valentine1 is a detector. Here is a link to their site:
http://www.valentineone.com/

In my personal experience, even when hit with instant-on radar, if you brake very quickly you can shed enough speed before the radar locks on. I was ambushed by instant-on four times on a recent trip. I reacted quickly. No tickets and only one traffic stop.

Ranger

·
Registered
327 Posts
I hope this isn't an ignorant question, but what is the Great Lakes Mirror Mount and where can I get more info, pricing and ordering info on it? Looks like a good setup. But it looks as if the mirror will block the rear facing radar and laser pickups. How does that work? Thanks for any info...

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Ranger,
I like the location of you valentine, but I wanted to ask if it still had an adequate view out the rear??
I had considered putting mine on top of the rear mirror, but this might be a better way to go. I just want to make sure that I know when someone "bad" is sneaking up behind me.
chris

·
Registered
837 Posts

On 2001-08-20 11:55, chrisj wrote:

I like the location of you valentine, but I wanted to ask if it still had an adequate view out the rear?? ...I just want to make sure that I know when someone "bad" is sneaking up behind me.
The testing I've done against known signals in my area tells me the V1 is sensitive enough that any loss in range I experience is not significant in real situations.

I haven't tested against laser shots from the rear; rear shots are not common police tactics around here. I have been hit by a MD trooper firing laser from the front and the V1 alerted like crazy, despite its vantage deep in the tint.

Hope this helps.

Ranger

1 - 20 of 22 Posts