Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed the donaldson and wanted to do a relearn to accomadate the extra air flow. On my 98 Z28 LS1 you just pulled the ignition and the pcm fuse for about 10 minutes and that was it. I've heard i need to disconnect the battery for for while like overnight-is this true or is there a simpler way? Thanks

·
Registered
0 Posts
Relearn

I know there is some techie way of doing it, but really all you need to do is drive it about 30 miles and the computer will relearn itself.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Unhook the battery negative cable for a couple minutes.

Rehook, start car, let idle for 5 mins, turn engine off.

Restart and drive for 20-30 minutes.

JC

H

·
0 Posts
vortech said:
Just installed the donaldson and wanted to do a relearn to accomadate the extra air flow. On my 98 Z28 LS1 you just pulled the ignition and the pcm fuse for about 10 minutes and that was it. I've heard i need to disconnect the battery for for while like overnight-is this true or is there a simpler way? Thanks
Do nothing. The PCM will automatically adjust the air fuel ratios in all 17 Closed Loop fuel cells. This takes about 100 miles of driving. Pulling the fuses can reset the process, but will not make it happen much faster.

WOT will never reset, since it is OL1 or Open Loop. The A/F ratio is factory preset. There are ways to change the WOT a/f ratio however, they are usually best done by programmers.

One manual learn process is idle. The throttle plate setting for fuel cell 19 and 18 need to be done is this way:

Bring the water temp up to 176 or above. Idle for 5 minutes with A/C off; shut ignition off then for 30 seconds. Fuel cell 19 is set.

Restart and turn A/C on. Same as above: 5 minutes at idle, off for 30 seconds. Fuel Cell 18 is set.

Fuel cells 18 and 19 are closed loop, but will not reset automatically. This same procedure needs to be done if the battery is disconnected or the PCM is reset.

Jim Hall
Halltech

PS If you have any questions, give us a call.;)

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for response Jim. It's just that after the donaldson I got a check engine light. The codes were a maf malfunction and a system lean code( i cannot remeber the number)-i used used my scanner and cleared the codes. I've had it on for 2 weeks now and no codes so hopefully as is well.

H

·
0 Posts
vortech said:
Thanks for response Jim. It's just that after the donaldson I got a check engine light. The codes were a maf malfunction and a system lean code( i cannot remeber the number)-i used used my scanner and cleared the codes. I've had it on for 2 weeks now and no codes so hopefully as is well.
It doesn't take much to get the MIL (malfunction indicator light).

All 17 Closed loop trims will "see" the new air and adjust the fuel accordingly back to 14.6:1 (GMs closed loop setting).

If any cell requires more than 23% more fuel than expected at the MAF (the difference between MAF metering and O2 actual) the code for lean will pop.

This can happen initially with poorly designed filters that create turbulence before the meter wires in the MAF. The closer the filter is to the MAF, the more suseptible the meter is to this turbulence, and subsequent codes. The code is not for real. What is happening is the turbulence causes the MAF to "misread" the actual airflow by missing airmass or measuring it more than once in the case of severe turbulence.

This is where the real world difference in systems can be seen. The driveability of the car throughout the throttle position transistions make some intakes seamless and crisp and others good for WOT only.

Even our T1 responds differently with our experimental filter vs the Wedge. The experimental filter is only good for 2 RWHP over the Wedge on the dyno 369.1 vs 367, but the response and seamless instant response on the street makes it feel like 10 RWHP.

This concept is very hard to sell, since everyone is hung up on BIG numbers. In the real world, torque is more important, and second to torque is throttle response.

Hope this makes sense.

Jim Hall

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
blackwing for sale?

Actually Jim you make perfect sense-the s tube you use on the sidewinder and the T-1 straighten the flow so the meter actually gets a straight airflow of air. Now if maybe i can sell my blackwing I can look into getting the tric set up.

·
Registered
266 Posts
vortech,

I was planning the same thing. Please keep us posted on the Hall guy's stuff. Very interesting. :-?

Very nice numbers!

Good luck on yours,

H

·
0 Posts
Re: what a load

rocknroll said:
yall need to go to school . We have use most of the parts yall talk about. We found out that the donalson and the halltech both throw a code. even with a custom program we still had a problem. Seems we always got a lean code . some of what hall said was true about the air flow, but we have done all the bolt on with headers exhaust and h or y pipe and cut the top out of the stock air box installed a k/n intake on the stock box put in the k/n filter and with help from ron z and we made
379.8 rear wheel with a 78% intake temp . 370ft thats not bad for some old boys. all you guys out west have higher outside temps but it will be cool soon. We have tested a lot of headers and found most of them made hp. I can't tell you who we are but lets just say we really know corvettes. Also one other thing the 01 make 321 to 328 rea wheel stock in our test and thats about
76 deg. not 330 or340 or ____? and the o2 made 336-340
no more. And also close the hood where the hell is the air coming from just take off the hood. How much hp on the air filter
with the hood closed jim? Just had to ask... :puke: :-?
Yall? My posts bring out the best in our competition.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts