Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Z. I agree it sits too high. I don't want to cut bushings. The owner video talks about tightening down the suspension before racing. How do you do that? Do I need to take into a shop?

thanks

·
Registered
1,811 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Todd Willcox said:
I have a 2001 Z. I agree it sits too high. I don't want to cut bushings. The owner video talks about tightening down the suspension before racing. How do you do that? Do I need to take into a shop?

thanks
Follow the tech tips... No need to cut anything (unless you want it lower than it comes down initially). You may wish to replace the rear bolts with longer ones -- but again, no cutting needed.

You'll need a good, low (to the ground) jack and some jackstands, and a few wrenches. You'll need to pull the front wheels off when doing the front, and just jack up the rear a bit when doing the rear. You can do this in your driveway in an afternoon.

Go for it!

-Kirk

PS -- I had a fraternity brother named Todd Willcox... How about that. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Search either Vette or Corvette fever mags or their websites.
There was a great article that explained how to, do's and don't to the process. Even told you what to buy and where.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
ZO6's Too High??????

Fella's................HOW much lower you want em'?????
Mine drags on everything NOW...........the front air dam, is less than 4"s OFF the ground......I can't go UP any incline with a greater angle than approx 15-25%.........without D_R_A_G........
Other than for the track, I dunno why you want it lower........:-?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
TAMUz

TAMUz......................being from Texas(me)..........and you being an Ag.......well, I expected this from YOU!!!!!!!:lol:
Seriously, how do you keep from damaging the deflector......??
Every bump over the size of Bevo's Excrement (well, a 1/3 the size!!!:D ).......I scrape that dude..........I don't LIKE scraping NEW stuff........
How do you keep from tearing stuff up........:-?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I learned how to drive...miss that class at t.u.?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:guiness: <---- Really Shiner..not that Guiness crap :p

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Re: ZO6's Too High??????

ZO6LS6 said:
Fella's................HOW much lower you want em'?????
Mine drags on everything NOW...........the front air dam, is less than 4"s OFF the ground......I can't go UP any incline with a greater angle than approx 15-25%.........without D_R_A_G........
Other than for the track, I dunno why you want it lower........:-?
4" off the ground?! Holy cow! That's just not right! You don't have nerf bars and Super Swampers on there too, do you?! ;)

Seriously though, I'd like (and have) my car as low as it can go with out scraping the rockers and NOSE on things. T'hell with the air dam -- it's just a flimsy piece of rubber/plastic, and is made to bend on anything it might encounter. Not a problem at all with that thing scraping. In fact, I kind of LIKE the fact that it scrapes on some things -- it reminds me that my car is nice and low (how it ought to be).

The car simply LOOKS a million times better lowered (whatever amount you lower it), and it handles better, too.

Oh, and lowering it is a NO-COST, REVERSIBLE mod! You just can't lose!

-Kirk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Z06's look so good lowered but.....?

I had to chime in here....

I totally agree that the Z06 looks even more amazing when lowered but I'm the type that if it doesnt get done right the first time I seem to notice only the screw-ups from that point on.

But my concern is, is this a mod that "can" be done in your own driveway but "should" be done by someone you would pay that knows that they're doing??? I really want my Z lowered by I'm reluctant to do it myself cause I dont know the first thing about it and I dont want to screw up something and then have to pay even more to get it fixed. I hope I make sense here..... I just want what everyone wants and thats an even more awesome looking car but not at the cost of screwing up something.

Ideas??? :-? :-? :-?

Anyone have lowered amounts that dont scrape on stock wheels???:-? :-? :-?

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Saint, I would recommend lowering it the 10-15mm as suggested by GM.....This is probably what you're looking for and the car is made to be lowered at least this much so no worries.

I for one am not cutting my bushings and such but many many people have done so with *no* ill effects.....

Get it aligned afterwards too :)

JC

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks N4C5S, your advice is much appreciated.

I'm not one of the extremists of the forum and all I wanted was a cleaner look without 1) spending too much and 2) having to cut anything. I dont want to compromise the stability or ride of the car for looks in any case. So lowering minimally, 0.5-1inch ideally, is more appropriate for my case with upgrading the wheels in the future kept in mind. Is there an easy 'less than 1inch' drop that's available to do or suggestions of where to take it to???

Thanks again for info..... :cheers:

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
If you don't feel comfortable doing your own work, then by all means, get someone else to. You are in Dallas, I would highly recommend LG Motorsports to lower it for you. They charge around $100 for the job, maybe a little more or maybe a little less. If you call up there you'll talk to Justin, ask him to get Louis (LG's son) to do the work, he's great - and LG as a whole are VERY helpful!

www.lgmotorsports.com

:cheers:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Welcome to the forum Todd!!

Lots of good posts here!! Thanks guys!! :cool:

I had my Z lowered to the max without cutting bushings or using extended bolts. Sure, the front spoiler is going to scrap a little more, but it's flexible. You are only going to get it to lower 3/4" - 1" max. It will also take some time for the suspension to settle after lowering, so don't expect immediate results

This is what mine looks like just using the stock adjustments:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Lowering God's.....

Thanks for all the help on this guys..... lots of good advice here. I've dealt with LG recently (got my Ripper from them) they seem like a bunch of good guys. I may have to have them lower it for me. We'll see.....

Thanks again... :cool:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Re: Z06's look so good lowered but.....?

Saint said:

But my concern is, is this a mod that "can" be done in your own driveway but "should" be done by someone you would pay that knows that they're doing???
It CAN be done in your driveway, and if you can turn a wrench and whatnot (I'm not being sarcastic here), then you probably SHOULD do it yourself, especially if you're not interested in paying someone to do it.

All it takes is a jack, jackstands, a few wrenches/sockets, and a measuring tape -- and you CAN do it yourself.

We're only talking about BOLT adjustments here -- screwing or unscrewing them. There are no electronics or anything like that to screw up. The measuring tape should be used just to be sure that you have done each side of the car the same amount. (The good thing about the front bolts is that when you tighten them to the point where you can't tighten then anymore, the cars turns out to be level in the front.)

I'm the FIRST one to admit that I don't want to screw up my car. That being said, even I could do this mod by myself -- and so I did.

This is NOT one of those things (like welded exhaust work, or gear work) that "should" be left to the professionals. It's really not.

-Kirk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Tech Tips

Perhaps it would be made clear once under the car but when I read the tech tips I can understand the reluctance to make the mod according to the tips.

Are there any tech tips about lowering the C5 via factory bolts that don't even mention the cutting of bushings? I'd feel more confident if there were instructions oriented in that matter and then perhaps had an "alternatively" you could cut the bushing for even further lower. I'd think the sans cutting would be the prefered method for most people...

thanks,

Jay.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Jay K, I completely understand where you're coming from on that. I thought the EXACT same thing... "Why can't they just write the directions without the cutting part for us guys who don't want to cut anything?" GMTA!

Anyway, even though it doesn't read quite the same way, you CAN pretty much strike through that part of the directions. Just follow the advice of getting the front wheels off, then locate the bolt head mentioned, and tighten it on down (without removing the bolt or any other part of the suspension). It really does work fine that way.

Go for it!

-Kirk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts