Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just picked up a 02 z06 that has a cosra ti race exhaust, varamam?? intake... and a shift light which i find very helpfull....i got it at a dealership so they wouldn't know. it idles like a old muscle car.... and loves the wide open throttle....it looks like the alternator has been off and the pastic corvette covers are all dirty like they were handled. man this cars moves... but i have nothing to compare it to come from dirving a honda s2000..... thanks for helping out a newbie

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
A car with a cam will idle a little funny. The stock cam will rock the car back and forth every once in a while when it's hot out but, a car with an aftermarket cam will really get moving at times. If it sounds like and rocks like a 60's muscle car....it probably has a cam. Does the car try to die on you sometimes when you first start it? Does it idle a little different when the ac is on? What RPM does the car idle at? When you drive the car...do you notice a really big increase in acceleration at about three thousand RPM's? :cheers:

BTW...Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it rocks back and forth pretty good.... doesn't like to idle...it idles at about 1K rpm...and sounds like it wants to die at idle... but when you step on the gas it really really goes...i'll have to do some more extensive testing....thanks for the wel come!!!

·
Premium Member
21,412 Posts
It would be a good idea if you could make contact with the previous owner and find out what kind of cam and valve springs are installed. Reason being, large (specifically high lift) cams require changing the valve springs at regular intervals.

·
Registered
413 Posts
sounds like you have a cam...when you start car wait for 15 to 30 seconds for car to find idle and stabilize...then put in gear and drive...it will make a lot of difference if you let idle stabilize before driving...also when initially starting have AC turned off, you can turn on after starting, waiting 15-20 seconds for idle to settle-in then you can turn on AC...car has probably had after market tuning such as LS1-edit ... probably good idea to go to a good speedshop and have them check-out the tune, make adjustments and have your new edit on record for any additional tuning you may require...and yes find out who previous owner was and get all the info you can...i am sure previous owner will be happy to tell you all about the car...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you... yeah the other day my friend turn on the a/c as soon as i started the car and it didn't like that to much..... the check engine light can on almost right away to..... i scanned it and just what i thought... o2 sensor... anyone have a reason as to why though? i cleared the code and the light is off now.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Sounds like you will have a lot of fun with it. How long did you have your H S2000? You don't know what kind of trouble you will get into now. :D :thumb:

And welcome to the site.

Alex

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i had the s2000 for over a year.. did a lot of mods and power adders.... had it at many shows and stuff.... it was just time to get out of the import crowd and on to something else...i got pulled over only a hour after buying the car!!1 no ticket the cop was just laughing at me and told me how much trouble this car was gonna get me in... good stuff

·
Registered
373 Posts
Like previously suggested find the previous owner and/or shop that did the work. Would be good to know what cam it has, have the pushrods/valvesprings/etc been upgraded?

Plus 1K rpm is high for most aftermarket cams to be idling at...once you find the cam specs you can get a nice tune dialed in and have it idling at 800-900rpm just fine. And you can set the rev-limiter accordingly and get it running a lot better...

Also, running with a cammed car you will likely throw "random misfire" codes and running the AC will trigger these more often.

Good luck

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah it idles at about 800-900 now... i thought it was a 1000rpm when i was posting before but i checked it out... i finally got it up and the air and found that it def. has headers with a x pipe w/o cats and a corsa exhaust w/ mufflers....also i'm 100% sure of the cam...it sureges forward when you are just crusing along at lower rpms....and the way it rocks back and forth when its idling.. also the crackle at idle to seems to me it has a cam... not a huge agressive one, but something.. now i just want to know what kind of cam... the only thing i can tell is it has corsa exhaust... anything else i don't know what brand it is or anything.... it has msd spark plug wires too.... anyone ever hear of "pheonix motorsport" in Pa? i was told they only do c5's and the are good...

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
luv4vettes said:
.... anyone ever hear of "pheonix motorsport" in Pa? i was told they only do c5's and the are good...

Look to left..Phoenix is a supporting tuner/vendor at Z06vette.com. They have put together some very fine race cars and seem to be the preeminent shop in the N.E. for guys who want their cars set up to take their cars thru the "twisties." :yeadog:

Don

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.