Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

The Connecticut Autocross & Rally Team (CART) is holding several HPDE with time trials at Pocono Raceway on 8/1 (south course) and 9/2 (north course) and an event at Lime Rock Park on 9/16. While the earlier events this year have been well attended the Corvette turnouts have been disappointing. What does the club need to do attract more Corvettes to these events? The club offers plenty of uncrowded track time (just ask the few Corvette drivers who did attend) some people getting 200+ miles of open track time. We have a time trial with awards at the end of the day. We even have a new event called a "team relay" at the Pocono events to finish off the day (this was a big hit with all that participated earlier this year). A discription of this event can be found on the web site (www.cartct.com). We limit entrants to a max of 70 cars so it's not a "parking lot" out on the course and the entry fee is $190 per event at Pocono or $170 if you sign up for two events. Lime Rock is $240 because of the extremely high track rental fee this year. Heck we even throw in a free CART T-shirt. Any suggestions? Why not sign up for an event?

Brian

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Brian,

You have my interest, especially for the 8/1 date. Would you be "OK" with a full-on T1 Corvette race car on the track?

I am running Pocono later that week at the SCCA double National race weekend. Some time on the track prior to the race would help me a bunch.

Do you know if I can keep my trailer at the track until Thursday of that week?

Thanks for your response.

DMP

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Brian:
It's not for lack of interest ... I had my first DE at Pocono in April 2004 and it was great ... tho it rained some. This was on the short course, where you come off the bowl and turn right into the infield. It's just that I have to pick my events against time and money, and it's a 250 mile hike for me. But I want to get up to do the long course as soon as I can.
Cheers, :jammin:

ALL: Excellent venue ... I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
David Pintaric,

No problem running with us. We'd be glad to have you. As far as leaving your car at the track I'm not sure, you'd have to ask the track personal. Hope to see you there.

Brian

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
same here, my heart is at Pocono, it was my first DE 2 yrs ago:) for those that havn't been to "the Pocono's" it's a very beautiful area (a lot of people honeymoon there), great place to take someone with you:) and the track is awsome too-good location for PA/NJ/DC folks .

I will try to make one of the dates, would love to get back up there-it's a hike for me (8+hrs) so that has kept me fm running there this yr

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello All,

Leslie has pointed out to me that there may be some confusion regarding the type of event we run.

The early part of the day is basically a HPDE. We have instructors available for those who need them. We have open practice sessions until about mid afternoon (don't worry we limit the number of cars to no more than 60 so everyone has plenty of open track time) than we hold a time trial for those who would like to take part (you don't have to if you don't want to). During the time trial portion of the event cars are put on the track in groups of three spaced apart enough so that they won't catch each other. Each car takes one warm up lap than two ("hot") timed laps and than a cool down lap. The best lap counting for trophies in your class. This part of the day moves along quickly and than the track is opened back up for lapping again. Some of our entrants last year did over 200 miles of track time. It's important to remember that you only need to drive as fast as your comfortable doing. There are designated passing zones and no wheel to wheel racing in the corners. We want you to drive home with a car in the same shape it was when you arrived, just with a big smile on your face.

Brian

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have yet to figure out why more vette guys don't do anything with their cars...other than to bring them out of the garage once a month, wash and wax them, then stick them back in the garage. Every time I hear of somebody saying they have a vette with just 'X' amount of miles on it, I want to knock the crap out of them.

Why in the world would you pay $50K for a car and not drive it??? And OBTW, the car just happens to be one of the fastest and finest sports cars on the planet.

I've taught for Porsche clubs, Mazda, BMW, Audi and on and on and most of these guys get their cars out and really work them. The vette guys???? - few and far between. I wish I knew the answer to that question.

I applaud every driver that gets their machinery out on a consistent basis, drives it the way it's supposed to be driven, and actually learns about the car and how to drive it. God luv 'em/us!!!!! :jammin: :z: :ity:

·
Registered
891 Posts
In the Midwest we get a pretty good turnout of vettes at MCSCC events. Not as many as the Mustang classes, but then again the Mustangs cost less.

At the CAROC event at RA last fall there were more Z06's than Alfa's... but maybe that isn't saying much.

Stranger at CAROC event: "What kid of car are you driving?"

Me: "A blue corvette"

Stranger: "A Z06?"

Me: "Yes"

Stranger: "Which one?"

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
ok ok you guys are starting to interest me in this :) My friends up here have been pushing me to go to an event like this for some time now. I'll have to keep this in mind...
Brian

·
Registered
224 Posts
Well Brian, I did my part. I attended the LRP event with CART a few weeks ago and it was a blast. :) We had great weather and it is a nice track to run. It was a little differant set up then I am used to running at SCDA event but it is still VERY safe and I would do it again.
We only had a few other Corvettes so I do agree with what he is saying, we need more Corvettes.

Brian, you picked the correct color for your car, and thanks for the ride in it. :thumb:

John

·
Registered
61 Posts
MA Z06,

I'm glad you had a good time and I enjoyed meeting you and riding with you. The weather was great for a change and everybody seemed to have a good time. Have you ever run at Pocono? If not you should give it a try. I happen to know of a club running a few events there :idea:
Do you have any suggestions on how to make the events better or more attractive to people now that you've tried one of our events?

John thanks for the good words and I hope to see you at another event.

Brian

·
Registered
224 Posts
I will not make the Pocono event as it is to far of a ride for me. Limerock was a 2.5 hour drive and as I don't have a trailer I like to stay " close " to home if I have a problem. If I could get a group of guys to go and someone had a trailer it would make it a little easier because if I had a problem I could always use thier trailer. ( or I need to buy one )

I am not sure how to get more interest in the event for the Corvette guys. They main thing is to post it on as many boards as you can to get maximun exposure. When I got my car two years ago we had a big group of guys who would running thier Corvette's at NHIS. Now we are lucky to get a few guy's running thier Corvette's with me. :( Most people with Corvette's do not use them for what they were designed for as they are afraid to get them dirty. :screwy:

John

·
Registered
892 Posts
I plan to attend at least one of these. Probably the September Pocono one. I've done two DE's before in California, and they are a blast! :yeadog:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts