Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My microfiber polishing towels, drying towel, and applicators all need to be cleaned, however, can I just throw them all into the washing machine and use liquid detergent that I use on my clothes? Also, I have some dirty terry cloth towels, that I use on other things such as tires and under the hood stuff that are pretty dirty. Can I throw them in there as well, or should I do them seperate as they are much dirtier. Please let me know, as I dont want to ruin my microfiber supplies and then put more scratches into my car. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Wash the microfiber stuff by itself. The microfiber towels will get covered with lint from the cotton stuff.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I believe its best not to use fabric softener on microfiber fabrics. I'm not sure exactly what this causes, clumping of the fiber ends I think, and loss of absorbency.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Do you have a power washer? Sounds crazy, but when I'm done detailing, I lay all my microfiber cloths right on the drive way and nail em with a high power setting, you'd be amazed at how easily they come clean this way, then, once they 'look' clean, I throw em in the wash.

I agree you should wash microfiber separately from cotton etc., they will collect lint. Also, when drying microfiber, don't use dryer sheets/fabric softener, it will make the microfiber less effective.

I'm not sure if cotton/terry could handle the force of the power washer, but try it on the microfiber, it works amazingly well, mine even gets out the 'black' stuff after heavy cleaning of tires, wheels, wheel wells, exhaust etc.

Another thing I do is separate my microfiber towels by color, yellow/green for 'detailing' and blue for 'cleaning', that way if there are any hidden harsh contaminants or abrasives stuck in the fiber from, say, engine compartments cleaning or brake dust, I'm not later dragging that stuff across my paint :thumb:

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
yeh I do the same thing

wash all microfiber towels together, Tide liquid, NO BLEACH or softeners, then dry
I color code-blue m.towels for body, yellow for engine compartment.

I keep a bag of OLD towels for tire wells, tires, wheels, etc. When I am done, they are TRASHED if really bad, the others I throw in a big bucket of DAWN and water, presoak, then wash in the machine:thumb:

·
Registered
212 Posts
How about the porter cable buffing pads?

blkZ06 said:
yeh I do the same thing

wash all microfiber towels together, Tide liquid, NO BLEACH or softeners, then dry
I color code-blue m.towels for body, yellow for engine compartment.

I keep a bag of OLD towels for tire wells, tires, wheels, etc. When I am done, they are TRASHED if really bad, the others I throw in a big bucket of DAWN and water, presoak, then wash in the machine:thumb:

What is the best way to take care of the foam polishing and waxing applicator pads for an orbital buffer. My adams revive polish and butter wax made a nice home on the initial application.. By the way, I was way too generous on my reapply of the butter wax.. Using the ultra fine foam pad that stuff would go a long way.. by the time I was finished (after reapplying too often) my pad was full of wax.. I sure wasted my supply.. oh well, I'm a rook, so I'm learning as I go..ha

Thats my story for the scabs across my knuckles from installing the vararam too.. You have to love a Judge asking you during a pre-trial conference, "did you get in a fight or something?".. No your honor, just trying to install a cold air intake!ha :z:

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
cleaning orbital pads? haha

yeh now THAT dilemma is still under review

my first set I had to toss, they were GONE beyond cleaning.

the second set (from Griots) cleaned up easily

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Wits-Z said:
What is the best way to take care of the foam polishing and waxing applicator pads for an orbital buffer.
Foam pads clean up real nice. The trick is to do them IMMEDIATELY upon finishing. I wash them by hand in lukewarm water using a liquid clothes detergent (Cheer Free). The Cheer works well removing the polish and glaze from the foam pads. Rinse them THOROUGHLY and allow them to air dry. Remember not to place them in a position that will distort them when they dry. I have used the same pads time and time again as they come out looking like new after washing.

Charlie

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
I have washed my foam pads in the washer for forever... just throw 'em in with my microfibers, they come out fine

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Alot of good techniques in here. I machine was all MF towels and applicators with hot water and no fabric softener. When they get real gummed up, I toss them in a pot of boiling water. I do the same with my chamois, which I use for the engine compartment and door jambs.

·
Z06 Master
6,137 Posts
I have a separate washer and dryer in my garage because I got tired of getting yelled at for washing my shop rags in the home washer.

Fabric Softener: Very bad, after continuous use it causes your towels to be water repellent!!

I never had a problem washing towels and microfiber towels

Whatever you do never wash your red shop rags with your towels.

I have a batch of PINK towels. :roll:

·
Registered
212 Posts
though I weaseled my way into this thread..

Thanks a lot for the replies. I guess I'll just try throwing the microfiber towels and foam pads in the washing machine without any fabric softener. Any idea if the remnants from prior wash cycles using fabric softener will create a problem?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I wouldn't ever even consider washing my microfiber towels (i throw them out when they're spent). Washing them will tend to make the fibers turn rigid especially if you have hard water (like me) and they will put tiny scratches in the paint when you use them. Thus completely defeating the point of having microfiber towels to begin with. Fabric softener would help with the rigidness, but as others have said, it will make the towel water resistant (which isn't really a big deal as most microfiber towels are somewhat water resistant to begin with, and aren't used for drying anyway).

Your best bet if you want to keep things scratch free is to use a chamois for the drying, a cotton applicator for putting on the wax, a microfiber pad on a buffer to remove the wax and microfiber cloths for quick detailing. The foam buffing pad should only be used for scratch/swirl removal (3M swirl mark remover). This is how I use my materials anyhow and other than the rock chips, my cars paint is defect free.

If you do wash the cloths, you definately should check/clean your washing machine after the cycle is finished. That way you don't accidentily ruin your next load of laundry.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I wash the M/F towels by themselves and let them air dry. I dried a set of them once and it stiffened them up and left a small amount of fuzz buildup in the area of the dryer that the heat comes in. I had to use steel wool to remove it. I'll never do that again. I would hand wash the foam buffing pads right after use and air dry them also on a flat surface.

D.J.

·
Registered
251 Posts
To clean the foam pads of my orbital polisher / buffer I spray them with Castrol all purpose "purple" cleaner, rinse, then spray with Simple Green and rinse throughly. For my micro fiber pads and towels I spray then with Simple Green and rinse.

I've been doing this for about 5 years and it works very well.

Bob :usa:

·
Registered
288 Posts
I know this is an old post, but maybe some will benifit.....

I clean my buffing pads with dish soap and rinse them with warm water. My rational; dish soap is used to strip wax and is often the first step when using the zaino process.

As for the terry cloth m microfiber towels. I wash them in the washing machine with a mixture of bleach and laudry soap. As long as you put the damp towels in the dryer the will remain soft. Also, I only use 100% cotton towels.

·
Banned
10 Posts
To wash microfibers, wash them together (unless a couple are contiminated with silicone or grease, wash those together but seperate from your normal load). To remove fabric softner from the washing machine, dry wash it (no clothing) with alittle dawn. Run it through a cycle....

Next place your microfibers in the washing machine, set the temp to hot and use either TIDE FREE or WOOLITE as they contain no additives or softners. Use a two cycle rinsie and add a couple of caps of DISTILLED WHITE VINAGER in the first rinse cycle. Hang up and let air dry or run through the dryer using a gentle cycle.

For foam pads (those used on a PC) I fill the sink with dawn and hot water and let the pads soak in the sink for about fifteen minutes. Then I hand wash each pad and place it to the side. When I am done with each pad, I drain the sink, and rinse each pad until the water runs clear through it.

When I am done with each pad, I lay a clean cotton towel on them surface and tightly wrap the pad/towel. As your wrap it tighter, whateever is remaining in the pad is squeezed into the towel. Then I let air dry over night and they are good to go.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
The MF towels are so inexpensive I just toss them and buy new ones.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts