Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to cut the front bushings but i cant get them out. Do you have to take the lower control arm off?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yes, you will need to remove the arms first. After that it seems that the I used a combination of the portaband and a big vice in lieu of an arbor press to get them out. It was a most definite PITA.

I clearly recall thinking that after that fight was over, it might have been worth it to settle for the T-1 arms with a harder durameter rubber bushing rather than go to the trouble of installing the polys. Went that way the next time in fact.

In case you don't already know, you will feel every crack in the road after you install polys. Definitely nice for the track, not so for the street. Mine were going on a dedicated track car ('02 Z). They'll squeak too much for a street car as well.

Good luck.

:mug:

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I think he means he wants to cut the bushings to lower the car, not install poly bushings. Maybe?

·
Registered
128 Posts
ZO6supra said:
I want to cut the front bushings but i cant get them out. Do you have to take the lower control arm off?

once you jack up the car, set it down on jack stands...move the hydraulic jack over and raise it to put pressure on the control arm

you can then unscrew it all the way to remove it, cut the bushing, and put it back in

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PB24daGRK said:
once you jack up the car, set it down on jack stands...move the hydraulic jack over and raise it to put pressure on the control arm

you can then unscrew it all the way to remove it, cut the bushing, and put it back in

I did that and unscrewed the lowering bolt all the way up and it stops. And I cant get the bushing from between the control arm and the leaf spring.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Check out this link
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63199

Read the thread posted by Dennis Wilson:
Mine is down all the way on the stock bolts in back NO threads showing, I cut 2/3rd s off the front bushings in front with bolts all the way up. I used a keyhole saw to cut them It was hard but not as hard as taking everything apart . My wheel wells are 26&1/8 " from ground in front & 27&1/8" in back & the air dam is 2&1/4" from ground. bottom of car is 3 3/4" from ground behind front wheel & 4&1/4" from ground in front of rear wheel. Hope this helps.
Here is another quote by Dennis:
I did mine without taking everything apart. Jack the front up, take off the wheels, use small hydraulic jack to lift end of spring to relieve tension on the bushings turn them down about half way & from under the middle of car you can see the bushings I used a keyhole drywall saw to cut the bushings its kind of hard, took about 20 minutes per side. I did it twice cut 1/3rd first It wasn`t low enough so I cut the 2nd 3rd off now its perfect! I recomend cutting 2/3rds the 1st time so you don`t have to do it twice!

He said he used a keyhole saw...hope this helps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts