Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boxsters have these little trailers that mount in place of the bumper guards.

S2000s have these weird (and hard to get) things that sweep under the bumper to two those little trailers.

How do Z06s get 4 fairly big tires, jack, air, tools, etc to the track?

Thanks,

David

P.S.
I know no one is driving to the track on Hoosiers!

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
most of the drivers I see tow their vette or have a small trailer hitch/trailer with the tires/jack etc in back.

some of the drivers that live close enough DO actually drive their hoosiers to the track

I am still running street tires so I drive to the track

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I take my wheels, tires, tools and other assorted junk in a 28 foot trailer; the car goes in there also. But I am not sure that is the answer you are looking for! :)

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
It helps to have some assistance... :lol:

I don't quite have the rig David does, but use a really big pickup truck with two tires in the bed along with all my other stuff, 4 on the Vette on a trailer, and six on a tire rack on the trailer. Normally bring two sets of drys, one old, one new, and a set of rains. :cheers:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got a 28' enclosed trailer and Yukon XL 2500. However, towing is what I am trying to get away from! Any way, the trailer is a 6'6", and my tire rack is barely low enough to get the tires in below the ceiling and high enough to clear the roof of a 48" tall stock car.

Who makes the hidden hitch?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Here’s how it starts:

Here’s where we are now:

Here’s to what we aspire: (minus the Viper)

Can you believe all this started because we wanted to get 4 tires to the track?? :eek: :screwy:

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Options:

1. If you live very close to the track you can chance it and drive there with the race tires on. Don't hit any debri or potholes or utility access covers on the way and pray for NO rain.

2. Install a hitch on the Vette and use:
A. A game carrier attatched to the hitch, a Miata race firm calls them "Tiretails".
B. A small utility or race wheel trailer.

3. Open trailer & Tow vehicle. Exsiss or Trailer World Aluminum
www.trailerworld.com

4. Enclosed trailer + tow vehicle such as a Pace, Haulmark etc.

5. Car hauler/camper such as a Toterhome or 18 wheeler

6. Drive the Vette and have someone follow (in say a pickup) with the tires.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't enjoy trailering with the enclosed trailer. It is great at the track though. You have an lit (oval racing is mostly at night), indoor place to hang out. And stay out of the rain. It also carries lots of tools, tires, compressor, nitrogen, etc.

And it is a lot less abusive to the car than an open trailer. Especially after a race when parts may be loose or when it is raining. Late model stock cars aren't really designed for the rain.

The tracks (Pocono, Lime Rock, Watkins Glen, Summit Point) are mostly 3-6 hours away (Pocono is just under 2). My current oval track (since Flemington closed) is a half hour past Pocono. The Englishtown drag strip built a non-racing road course, 1 hour away. However it hasn't opened and the future of the track is uncertain because of noise issues.

Many tracks from my youth are gone. Thompson no longer uses the road course. Bridgehampton is a housing development. And what ever happened to Marlboro?

So what I am looking for is the little trailer. Go to the track, unhitch, and change 4 tires. And it looks like the Vette has a hitch.

Who makes the hitch?

David

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
I would love to be running hoosiers at the track!

Most everyone in my run group is on them, think I am the last to bite the bullet-for now it's very convenient to drive there and drive home.

Good part about trailoring the vette though is if something happens-god forbid-you just trailer your car home

·
Registered
74 Posts
DavidNJ said:
However, that one looks like it is always visible. Which is the one that stays hidden?
I dunno. Mine was this Draw-Tite type and it wasn't noticable at all. The insert is removed when it's not in use.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts