Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone this is just a "driving a manual 101" question

I was just curious to know how you all slow down in your car's. I have been told that you should downshift and brake, so that you dont strain the brake system. Other people have told me they just put it in neutral and brake. On occasion I just push the clutch in all the way and leave it in gear till I stop and put it in first when i am ready to go again.

Is there a right or wrong? Is one safer then the other? Is one better for the car then the other?

Opinions.....

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
i heal and toe downshift, down to 2nd as im slowing to a stop, then when 2nd gets to around 1100rpm, i clutch in and put it in neutral. its not safe to just put her in neutral and press the brakes, and just the same with clutch in and brake. you dont have any control and itll take longer to put it into gear if you need to do some evasive maneuver. :yeadog:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
msukazman said:
Hey everyone this is just a "driving a manual 101" question

I was just curious to know how you all slow down in your car's. I have been told that you should downshift and brake, so that you dont strain the brake system. Other people have told me they just put it in neutral and brake. On occasion I just push the clutch in all the way and leave it in gear till I stop and put it in first when i am ready to go again.

Is there a right or wrong? Is one safer then the other? Is one better for the car then the other?

Opinions.....
The proper way to decelerate involves using the brakes and then rev matching for lower gears. Shifting into neutral and coasting is dangerous becuase you do not have power if you need it in a hurry. In England, its illegal to coast. You have to downshift and rev match. I downshift and rev match for saftey.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
the brakes are for braking, the motor is for making the car move, so in answer to your question, I leave it in gear, brake and then shift to the proper gear if i don't come to a complete stop. If I stop completely at a stop sign or red light, I hold the clutch to the floor, leave it in first and keep my right foot on the brake, just in case I need to avoid some dope who is about to hit me.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I aim for a wall.

Okay seriously, for daily driving, I brake all the way. I downshift only in time for renewed acceleration.

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
Very lite deceleration: Just let the engine pull it down.
lite to moderate deceleration: Downshift
moderate to heavy deceleration: Downshift and brake
:eek: deceleration: Brake pedal buried to the floor and :eek: on my face.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I usually donwshift and rev match plus some braking. Sometimes I only break when I was already moving slowly. Plus I read in a SCC magazine that you shouldn't leave your foot on the clutch while at a stoplight. That causes premature wear one the clutch bearing. Just a thought for you guys!!! :jammin:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Liquid Snake said:
I usually donwshift and rev match plus some braking. Sometimes I only break when I was already moving slowly. Plus I read in a SCC magazine that you shouldn't leave your foot on the clutch while at a stoplight. That causes premature wear one the clutch bearing. Just a thought for you guys!!! :jammin:

So if you dont push the clutch in when you are at a stop you are in neutral and when it turns green you start from neutral and push the clutch and get the gear over to first?

Doesn't downshifting put undue strain on the engine?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
naw, i like to rev match at around 2500-3000 for normal driving... much higher if im feelin frisky :)

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
If you are coming to a complete stop, use your brakes - don't downshift. I would rather wear down my break pads faster than I wear down my clutch (which one is more expensive to replace?). This may not seem like a big deal, but after years of downshifting, it’ll add up.

Now that being said, if you still like downshifting to a stop, do whatever makes you happy.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
if you rev-match properly (i even double clutch) you arent really wearing the clutch material at all. the only thing you could say im wearing would be the pressure plate springs, but hell... i love heal and toe wayyy too much. :rofl:

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Rev match, downshift, brake, heel n' toe... it just soooo much fun!

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Liquid Snake said:
You shoud alos not sit with your foot on the brake (more so after spirited driving) as you can get pad materrial patches on the rotor.

I could never get myself to ever coats in nuetral or coats with my foor on the clutch - or even just stay in 5th or 4th and slow to a stop.

Years and years of motorcycle riding have ingrained in me the behaviour to ALWAYS be in the most appropriate gear to allow for escaping any given situation.

This has the added benefit of being "race ready" at the drop of the gas pedal.. :p

Your consumption may sometimes take a nose dive though... ;)

Other than cruising on the freeway/open road, I feel naked if the car/bike cannot be instantly controlledby applicaiotn of power.

Maybe this is also some old Navy training coming thourgh - you can only maintian control of your vessel and be able to stear if underway and under power. (from what I recall of the sessions at Naval Warfare school in the sqradron simulators.. :p)

·
Registered
476 Posts
I downshift and use the brake to come to a complete stop!
Never coast in neutral!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Double clutch (rev-match) to lower gear then brake to a stop. If right on red (and clear of traffic), double clutch (grab desired gear) and drive off apex.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
For daily driving I simply use brakes to slow down and down shift as the speed requires incase I need to get back into the gas for an evasive maneuver or something. Brakes are a lot cheaper than a cluthc or engine parts.
For having fun, spirited driving and the like, the heel-to-toe rev-matching is the way to go as mentioned above. Personally I have not excelled in this arena yet so its fun to practice.
I never coast and never have my car out of gear.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
wallyman424 said:
i heal and toe downshift, down to 2nd as im slowing to a stop, then when 2nd gets to around 1100rpm, i clutch in and put it in neutral. its not safe to just put her in neutral and press the brakes, and just the same with clutch in and brake. you dont have any control and itll take longer to put it into gear if you need to do some evasive maneuver. :yeadog:

exactly what i do. plus it's more more fun. my car makes crazy noises and popping upon deceleration. :jammin:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Gah. Thats because you have no cats. Lucky sob. I miss that popping and backfiring upon decel SO badly, now that the stupid cats are back on.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts