Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past saturday I attended the Crystal Cove meet up in Laguna beach and there were a few Carrera GT's and a Ford GT, and I just started pondering some things in my head. These car's are basically street legal race cars, the Saleen S7, Enzo, Carrera GT, Ford GT and possibly the SLR Mclaren. All of the cars are amazing on the track and in pretty much everything else. In touring cars though you see the C5R's able to compete with the Saleen's. That got me thinking, is it possible to mod a c5 or c6 z06 to be on par with the balance and performance of a super car like an S7 or carrera GT? Im not talking about getting a twin turbo kit slapped onto the car and beating it on the freeway or from a dig in a drag race. Im talking all around performance, gearing for 200+mph, responsive powerband with 500+whp, handling and braking that is superior. I'm interested to see everyones thoughts on this :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,957 Posts
The 400 or 500 thousand dollar cars you are speaking of really are impressive and hard to compare a 40 or 50 grand corvette too..

The new Z06 C6 stock should run right with them...but still its a 60 ro 70 grand car which today is not that high...considering what premium luxury sedans and suv's sell for....

Can a C6 Z06 or a C5 Z06 run with those cars with a few mods on it..yes...

Total package? Yes the C6 Z06 will run dead even with them on the track in my opinion..maybe faster...

Will it ever be in the league of a Porsche Carrera Gt? worth 400 or 500 grand..

Not really...

I saw one on the road a few weeks back and it was a little over the edge for my taste..

Don't get me wrong ...a great sports car...

Just a little too over the top even to just take out on weekends and park it at a movie or dinner....

A half a million dollars for a car is too rich for my blood even if I won the lottery...:lol:

Its still a car ...but pretty close to 1/2 the price of the normal home...

Its a little too rich ...a little too much for me...

Nice car and great seeing them being driven on the road for those that can easily afford them..

God bless america!

Must be nice!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
As the above post states you cant compare a 50k corvette to a car that costs 10 times that much.You can modify just about any vehicle to go fast,handle well and stop quick but its still not going to be a CGT,Enzo or Murci.Whole other league,makes more of a statement about the owner than it does about the cars ability.Just my opinion. :yeadog:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,852 Posts
The Dodge Viper is mentioned as American supercar, Im sure the Z06 will outhandle the viper and outaccelerate the viper by a tad, I dont see why not...

But since its only $65k and its a chevy noone will want to admit :mah: it will be a supercar although it will even beat half the supercars in performance :yeadog:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
806 Posts
I can't wait to get my C6ZO6!! The wife has me on a pretty long waiting, about 8 or 10 years!!!! :( It may be 2015 but I will have a 2006 C6 ZO6!!!!! :jammin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,888 Posts
Grim Reaper said:
My buddy just beat up a new Carrera GT with lightly modified Z06. He has it on video.

http://imageevent.com/crazyducati916/mountainvids

They are still clipping the video on the parts where he is laying waste to it and the driver.

He is trying snag my I/O Port camera mount, so his co-driver does not get sea sick. lol

which vid best shows it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,888 Posts
JBsZ06 said:
Total package? Yes the C6 Z06 will run dead even with them on the track in my opinion..maybe faster...

Not a chance of that one. You're not serious are you? Maybe Maybe the ford and maybe the merc. But the Enzo and CGT will destroy it at the track...any track. I don't know the track figures of the S7 though. Thing looks like crap anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
IMO, the C6 Z06 will indeed run with any supercar on even a twisty track IF we're talking about the owners of those cars driving, simply because AH makes it relatively easy to go 9/10th's in a Vette. If you take the same cars and pro's drive it to 10/10ths each, the Z06 loses every time.

As a relative comparison on the Nurburgring:

'04 SRT-10 ran it in 8:13
'03 C5 ran it in 8:13
'04 Z06 ran it in 7:56
'05 C6 ran it in 7:56
'04 Carrera GT ran it in 7:28 :eek2:

http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?viewThread=y&gID=3&fID=0&tID=10073&bottom=0
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
Top Gear Power Laps:

Radical SR3 - 1.15.x
Maserati MC12 - 1.18.9
Ferrari Enzo - 1.19.0
Ariel Atom - 1.19.5
Porsche Carerra GT - 1.19.8
Mercedes McLaren SLR - 1.20.9
Ford GT - 1.21.9
Ferrari 360 CS - 1.22.3
Porsche GT3 RS - 1.22.3
Murcielago - 1.23.7
C6 Corvette - 1.26.8
Dodge Viper SRT-10 - 1.28.5
Mitsubishi Evo VIII - 1.28.9
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,888 Posts
luke1 said:
Top Gear Power Laps:

Radical SR3 - 1.15.x
Maserati MC12 - 1.18.9
Ferrari Enzo - 1.19.0
Ariel Atom - 1.19.5
Porsche Carerra GT - 1.19.8
Mercedes McLaren SLR - 1.20.9
Ford GT - 1.21.9
Ferrari 360 CS - 1.22.3
Porsche GT3 RS - 1.22.3
Murcielago - 1.23.7
C6 Corvette - 1.26.8
Dodge Viper SRT-10 - 1.28.5
Mitsubishi Evo VIII - 1.28.9
FYI i question manny of their times. for example the GT3 RS should crush the 360 CS. Also the Enzo is faster no question than the MC12 even around a track. It's either 'cause they're track is so small or the Stig is a drunk...i dunno. I'd stick to the Ring times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
phantasms said:
FYI i question manny of their times. for example the GT3 RS should crush the 360 CS. Also the Enzo is faster no question than the MC12 even around a track. It's either 'cause they're track is so small or the Stig is a drunk...i dunno. I'd stick to the Ring times.
Yeah you're right, especially since some of their lap times are done in the wet and others in the dry. But to be fair ring times can be a bit dodgy as well...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Grim Reaper said:
My buddy just beat up a new Carrera GT with lightly modified Z06. He has it on video.

http://imageevent.com/crazyducati916/mountainvids

They are still clipping the video on the parts where he is laying waste to it and the driver.

He is trying snag my I/O Port camera mount, so his co-driver does not get sea sick. lol
I don't see any videos of the z06 beating the carrera GT, all I see are pictures of the carrera gt right behind him. To be clear about the thread, I know that a stock z06 wont be able to hang with a carrera GT, but you can unlock alot of potential from c5 z06's, so of course the vette's would be modded, big brakes, suspension, wheels & tires, engine mods.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
I know a lot drivers in a stock Z06, myself included that would waste most high dollar cars like the Enzo, Carrera GT, Ford GT, etc. on the track.

Most of those cars,

1) The drivers have no idea what they are doing. This goes for a lot Corvette drivers as well. If you haven't raced on the track for years, do not even try to keep with someone that has.

2) They are afraid to drive them

3) The performance is relatively close

4) They have no seat time in the car and cars generally have very little miles on them. So zero practice in the car.

Take a closer look at the videos, the GT driver waves him on, after being on his tail. In my car, I would ablsolutely smoke him like he was standing still.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
I think it bodes well for GM to design and build a real production car that is even close to competing against supercars. This takes a lot of solid engineering to build a daily driver that can competitive on the weekends as well. The cost to purchase a Z06 is down right cheap compared to the supercars.

For 65K I can put up with a little plactic and cheap leather to get very close to thrill and fun of a supercar. This leaves $$$ left over to keep the misses happy too.

A whole cheaper to maintain and repair as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,888 Posts
Grim Reaper said:
I know a lot drivers in a stock Z06, myself included that would waste most high dollar cars like the Enzo, Carrera GT, Ford GT, etc. on the track.

Most of those cars,

1) The drivers have no idea what they are doing. This goes for a lot Corvette drivers as well. If you haven't raced on the track for years, do not even try to keep with someone that has.

2) They are afraid to drive them

3) The performance is relatively close

4) They have no seat time in the car and cars generally have very little miles on them. So zero practice in the car.

Take a closer look at the videos, the GT driver waves him on, after being on his tail. In my car, I would ablsolutely smoke him like he was standing still.

that's not the point. if you sat my grandmother in an F1 car you would beat her around a track. does that make the vette better somehow? a car with such great potential needs a driver of great skill. i really think that's how it should be. everyone else how doesn't think so needs to go to driving school. driven properly an Enzo or CGT would rape a C6Z06 driven by even dale JR. The same goes with the 1/4. I bet you that the average driver takes the C5 Z06 down the 1/4 faster than the C6Z06 down the 1/4.....because honestly most of the people that will get this car have no clue what they're doing just as it was with the C5Z06...this time even more traction problems. A Z06 should never ever run high 12's or even 13's yet I've seen it many times...even people on this site.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
Sorry an Enzo or CGT would not rape a C6Z06. I think that you find the results are surprisingly close. With a very little work, Cam, headers the C6Z06 will be pushing 600 h.p. and have a super flat long torque curve. In the addition, the C6Z06 will do lap after lap and will always work. The others are 1-5,000 mile premadonna's. I have owned several very high dollar Ferrari's and Porsches.

For the price, the C5 & C6 Z06 are amazing and can made very fast for the roadcourse and mountains. I would have no problem wasting either car on the road or the track. It may not be any faster in straight line than the Enzo (about the same), but it does out-handle it easy and brakes from 60-0 in 82 feet, over and over and over. As far the Porsche, I would rather have Renntech Stage III TT(650 h.p.) four wheel drive+the cash over the CGT. This is what won, Road America in 04. The four wheel drive, lets you get on the gas much earlier on the exit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
Grim Reaper said:
Sorry an Enzo or CGT would not rape a C6Z06. I think that you find the results are surprisingly close. With a very little work, Cam, headers the C6Z06 will be pushing 600 h.p. and have a super flat long torque curve. In the addition, the C6Z06 will do lap after lap and will always work. The others are 1-5,000 mile premadonna's. I have owned several very high dollar Ferrari's and Porsches.

For the price, the C5 & C6 Z06 are amazing and can made very fast for the roadcourse and mountains. I would have no problem wasting either car on the road or the track. It may not be any faster in straight line than the Enzo (about the same), but it does out-handle it easy and brakes from 60-0 in 82 feet, over and over and over. As far the Porsche, I would rather have Renntech Stage III TT(650 h.p.) four wheel drive+the cash over the CGT. This is what won, Road America in 04. The four wheel drive, lets you get on the gas much earlier on the exit.
You can't be serious. C6 Z06 vs Enzo or CGT will not be surprisingly close at all. A decent driver in an Enzo or CGT would destroy your car or a C6 Z06 on the track. Look at the lap times posted in this thread, especially the CGT Nurburgring time - 7:28. Think you can beat that? BS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
andym said:
You can't be serious. C6 Z06 vs Enzo or CGT will not be surprisingly close at all. A decent driver in an Enzo or CGT would destroy your car or a C6 Z06 on the track. Look at the lap times posted in this thread, especially the CGT Nurburgring time - 7:28. Think you can beat that? BS.
with mods like suspension,engine, and bigger brakes, yes, stock,no.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top