Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Like it's on rails:D :D I like the way the stock suspension feels and handles so I'll leave it alone for now:cheers:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Depends what you mean by good handling...

I've got Koni SAs and run them almost full stiff all the time. Handling is very responsive and body motion well controlled, with much less brake dive as well.

Some folks would argue that the ride is not comfortable, but to me, a well controlled ride is comfortable - an uncontrolled ride, now that's uncomfortable!

That combined with a sports oriented alignment does wonders for non-straight line performance.

·
Registered
638 Posts
The 02 is avery stable comfortable car with plenty of feedback (good) it is a little high, but I think leaving well enough alone is the way here.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I agree, that for street driving the stock Z suspension is spot-on. I think GM did a hell of a job making it ride as well as it does and still handle like its on rails.

I suppose if you were into heavy track use you could certainly make it handle even better, but it would turn into an unconfotable ride on the street.

IMO, GM basically had its cake and ate it too in the suspension department :D.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I am satisfied with the stock performance, I might consider dropping her a little though.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I just went from a 99A4 with a hefty upgraded suspension, and my new Z is very surprising to me, as it would run circles around my 99... :cheers:

·
Registered
231 Posts
GM hit a home run with the way the stock ZO6 handles on the street..like its on rails:cheers:

·
Registered
129 Posts
You don't say whether you have an 01 or 02.
I have an 01 so my comments apply to it, haven't driven an 02 which has the same swaybars, but modified shocks. I use it on the street as a daily driver and for long trips.
Stock there was way more body roll than I like in hard cornering and there was a strong tendency to side step the rear when hitting a bump or uneven spot in a corner. The overall feel in a corner seemed relatively loose and didn't feel to me like I could really tell where the limits were.
Went to a GM T1 front swaybar and now it corners flat under any conditions. Got single adjustable Penske shocks from Guy Ankey Racing, his choice of the valving for my street use. Stopped the side stepping under even the most severe provocation. The combination makes the handling feel much more solid and secure.
As to ride quality, the T1 makes it a little more sensitive to expansion joints and the solid metal links make some noise. The Penskes are hard to describe, but they are not exactly firmer than stock and less harsh. They just follow the road surface exactly with no overshoot at all. Not as harsh as Konis that I have had on a previous Porsche.
Costly modification, but if you really like a tight, sweet handling machine its worth it IMHO.
Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts