Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious of early is too early to tune a Z06. I am picking up a bone stock 01 at the end of the month (2 weeks) and I will have just a little bit of pocket change left over.

If I only had an intake on the car, would a tune be beneficial at all? I know that it will remove the CAGS, but would it give me any extra power? I believe the shop here will do the tune for $250.00. Dragon Race Engineering in Denver. I have to make sure it is a complete tune, but on their website it states $250. So we'll see.

Thaks for any help!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Im problably the least experienced in the mod department, but I think my opinion will do, just an air intake I dont see a reason to tune if you plan on doing other mods down the road, btw, what air intake are you thinking about? :cheers:

·
Premium Member
10,998 Posts
No not just for air intake the computer program will probably adjust enough on its own. When you add headers with the air intake then you should tune. :D

·
Registered
407 Posts
Getting a tune now with just an intake is not necessary;However you will see abit of an improvement over just keeping it as it...
$250 for a full LS1 edit seem a bit low, but check it out.

My first mod was a Cat back and intake. I did not need a tune, but was having a slight surge at 1K-1.5K. This was an issue with a blackwing with an shroud and the opening. Too much air or too much turbulent was entering the MAF at this low speed (know issue on 04's & 04 GTO's).

Well i only said this, because i should not have got a tune if ever thing was ok.
I got the tune and I did amazingly picked up 10hp and the same torque...

If you tight on cash, save it.. If you're looking for a few more horses, eliminate CAGS and a few other possibilities- Go for the tune, just note, you will have to re tune after some other mod's again...

It's you'll call.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
You can have an inexpensive Tech II (about $50) done to check your A/F, timing and LTFT's to make sure you are not running too rich or lean. Otherwise, wait till you add more mods and previously suggested. A good LS1edit and dyno is in the $400-500 range at most good shops. :thumb:

Bob

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Welcome Aboard the Good Ship Z06 :z: :z:

Agree, with all the above posts. Wait until you do more mods like Headers, before you Dyno tune. Get used to all the power your stock Z06 has, before you Mod. :cheers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts