Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an 03 Z with Procharger and their single fan set up.The car still carries its factory thermostat.
This is the second summer with the set up. It just got hot in the NYC area this past week and the temp has gone as high as 246 with an ambient temp above 92.
The car seems to stay around 220-230 and then climbs as I get on it. It went to to 246 and after I shut down it climbed to 250 with the coolant warning on the display.
When I am in 4th & 5th gears the coolant temp is around 220 on the highway. I am running 3.90 final drive ratio as well.
The question is How hot Is Too hot for this set up and what are you all running out there with similar situations?
The radiator is free from debris and the car has 9000 miles.
Last summer I don't think it ran this hot and It was not this hot outside.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Cruising at 60 mph in filth gear A/C off ambient temp 90 = 192-194.
Traffic 0-30 mph A/C off ambient temp 90 = 192-225.
Sounds too hot to me!
Coolant is full?
I dont think its the fan because "220 on the highway" seems excessive.
Double check the radiator for blockage, possible belt slippage or bad thermostat.
Sabot

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 03 Z06 with a Mag I/C S/C on it and live in Houston. I have had the car for about 4 months, so this is my first summer with the car. In 95 degree weather with 90% humidity I never got above 207 except for in traffic and then I would get to 213-217.

This was to hot for me so I have installed a Fluidyne Radiator with a 160 stat and LS1 edit for the fans and have yet to get to 200 degrees. Most of the time I'm in the 180- 195 range depending on the temp outside. IMO I would say that you should check your stat.

Hope this helps
Daren

·
Registered
267 Posts
You might want to slide under the front of your car and check for debris in the front of your radiator ( use a strong flashlight and look up near the top). When I installed my Vararam I could not believe the amount of debris that was in there and I had very low miles. This would have an abvious negative affect on the radiator' ability to cool properly.

Kurt

·
Registered
853 Posts
Kinda personnal question? he he But, you are running way too hot..As per previous post check for debris in the rad, but something is definatelly wrong...

·
Registered
22 Posts
:jammin: :jammin: I have the Pro Charger setup on my 03 with headers but I went with
the 160 thermostat as recommended. My temperature is 194 down
the interstate and maybe 220 in traffic. It's gets pretty hot here
in Louisiana.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Stock radiator?

I've driven a few pro-charged vettes and noticed ALL temps rise dramatically when you push 'em.....coolant, engine, transmission, cockpit. Compressing air makes a lot of heat.

The thermostat will not make any difference. Once you hit 160, 178-180, 190-195(depending on temp of stat)it's gonna be wide open. Thermostats are designed to get the block up to operating temp when the engine is cold....once they open it doesn't make a difference which one you have.

The stock radiator is VERY SMALL.

Evans coolant products are the best way to go. Boilover point is well above 300 degrees at very low system pressures.

HTH

·
Registered
64 Posts
New air cleaner assembly

I live in Las Vegas and just today finished my new air cleaner assembly. I have completely removed the ATI procharger kits air cleaner (which blocks 1/3 of the radiator and feeds the engine hot air that just came out of the radiator), modified the cooling fan mount and installed a air filter with 30% more flow. It now pulls air from behind the bumper which the intercoolers will do a much better job. After test driving the car it runs 30 deg cooler with the air temp of 106 deg outside. I have aprox 40 hrs in the modification but after driving would do it again. Andy's A&A has a radiator remount kit and different intake pipes but I didn't want to hack my car up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Running hot update

First I got a 3000 cfm fan from spol to replace the 2200 cfm unit that came with the Procharger kit. I also fit a 160 degree thrmo. STILL RUNNING TOO HOT!
Tonight in NYC the ambient was still 90 degrees. The first drive of the night and the temp on the highway stays at about 220. In NYC traffic it climbs steadily to 255(takes about 15 minutes) then the coolant over temp comes on. I had gotten to my destination and came back an hour latter. The coolant temp was at 230. In traffic it climbed to 247 and then I got on the highway. At 50 mph the temp came down and if I go to 5th gear it steadily came down to 220. The car has only 9000 miles. The car has never seen rain.The undercarriage is cleaner then day one. There is NO debris in front of the radiator or in betwwen the rad & condenser.
Could this be a radiator problem? The coolant is as clean as day one. A fresh gallon of dexcool was added when I changed the thermo. PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
1. Bigger radiator with an engine oil cooler.

2. Mazier electric water pump.

3. Evans coolant.....excellant product!! Boil over point is over 300 degrees at 3 psi.....

4. Get the fans to come on at lower temps.....through pcm tuning.

5. Use a restrictor in place of the thermostat.

Superchargers create big heat by compressing air and forcing bigger explosions within the engine. Even with all of the above, you'll notice rapid temp increases when you stomp on the go pedal.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
115 where I live, mine ran at 218-225. Tuned so the fans come on at a lower temp.
Turned the A/C off, the temp actually increased.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Does your coolant try to overflow the coolant reservoir when the thermostat kicks in?

Check that out. You can try it by just having the car idling with the overflow tank cap off. See if the coolant overflows the tank when it gets up to temperature.

Also when the cap is off, check for any bubbling coming from the coolant.

Let me know if you have any of these symptoms. I can then provide you with a few more things to do.

** CAUTION REQUIRED WHEN DEALING WITH HOT COOLANT

Thanks, Perry

·
21,386 Posts
178 on the Interstate and 194 around town and that is today in BG with temps in the 90s. I have a 160 stat and it sure does help to keep my baby cool!

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
My car was overheating. 245º+ with A/C in 90º weather. I have a Vortech S/C. Crawled under the car and pulled a ton of crap out of the radiator. Leaves, cigarette butts, grass clippings. Figured that'd be it. Took the car for a ride, still overheating. Got under the car again, noticed 1" gap between A/C condenser and radiator. Swept that area with a wooden dowel, got a bunch more grass clippings and stuff. Figured that was it, went for a ride, still overheating (a little better, but still NFG). Crawled under the car *again*, with diving mask, used sprayer on garden hose and tried to blow it out. Got even more stuff out, figure for sure *now* I'd have fixed it. It was better, but it still wanted to overheat. Went to Dealer and put on lift. Spend about 10 minutes with high pressure air blowing out everything I could hit. *Finally* the cooling system works correctly. Temps stray into the upper 220s when I'm working it, but stay around 210 in traffic and come right down to 198-ish on the highway.

The car has 47K miles on it. I've never gone to this extreme to clean out the radiator before. My conclusion, the problem is that the C5 cooling system is marginal. The radiator has the capacity to mostly keep up with the engine, but even moderate amounts of accumulated road debris put it over the top, and the design of the radiator airflow virtually assures that over time the system *will* hoover-up plenty of crap.

I bought a DeWitts and a 170º T-Stat. Going in on Monday. With the added cooling capacity and the cooler T-Stat, I shouldn't ever have to deal with it again.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I have A&A's procharger kit on my forged motor. I also have Andy's aluminum radiator and a 180 degree thermostat. These 90+ degree days with the A/C on I see 200-220 in stop and go. 198 in crusing traffic. About 194-196 with the A/C off. I also have water wetter.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i just bought my 03' back in oct. 07' this past week was the first time i really took it out.i only had a 20 day temp. when i drove home from NH. at idle the temp creeps right up to 230 or so. man that aint cool!! (no pun intended)turned the heat high and waited for it to get below a deuce, then shut it down.i have an appointment at the dealer on weds. also have a problem with the rear axle seals leaking, sounds like a lemon? worst part is i thought i was doing good when o bought it, theres only 2,300miles on it.WTF?????

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
The radiators on C5s are notorious for vacuuming up grass, hay, tumbleweeds, bird nests and cigarrete butts. They need periodic cleaning or the car will gradually run hotter and hotter. That being said, an 03 with 2300 miles on it hasn't seen much road time. Odds are better than you would benefit from a coolant system flush. And *that* being said, the second stage fan doesn't come on until 230ºF, so seeing temperatures creep up to that level in S&G traffic isn't particularly unusual.

Axle seals are a common problem. There is a TSB for this issue. I doubt you'll get the Dealer to fix it for free, but you could ask...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts