Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least I got 9000 miles off my first set of F1s. After getting quotes at the $3000 range for a new set of tires, I found a good deal from the TireRack for about $1200. Now I've got 4 new tires at my house, ready for mounting.

When talking with the folks at the TireRack, they recommending that I mount them at a place that has a Hunter 9700. (See http://www.gsp9700.com/ for details.) After reading about this marvelous device, it seems this is mandatory equipment for new tires.

Question for you: Is this really important, especially when you've had your tires shipped on a truck to your house?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I bought a set of wheels and tires from http://www.afswheels.com/ for my 85 Corvette, w/315-35s in back. They were balanced on that Hunter machine with stick on weights, it does an awesome job.

I think it's always very important to find a good shop to do the balance job, especially on a wide high perf tire. Don't even think about taking your car to Sam's Club or Costco to have some 18 year old kid do it on the cheap ;) .

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Chevy dealers won't even touch them unless they have the right equipment. I can vouch for that. I had a flat and sent the car to a friend of mines (parts manager) dealership. His service manager wouldn't even take the tire off the rim! He Sent it out to a tire dealer who had the right equipment. :guiness:

·
Registered
837 Posts
pmontelo said:
I bought a set of wheels and tires...They were balanced on that Hunter machine with stick on weights, it does an awesome job.

I think it's always very important to find a good shop to do the balance job, especially on a wide high perf tire....
I concur with pmontelo.

I've used the Hunter 9700 for my '98 and '01 and it's definitely the machine to use. I'd normally say it will yield more tire life, but that seems like a low priority for C5David (9000 miles). So let's say, the perfect balance the Hunter will produce will enhance your driving pleasure. :)

Ranger

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I have some HRE wheels coming and will need my tires moved from the stock rims to the HREs. Is the Hunter 9700 custom wheel friendly, aka no scratches? :-?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Alway need a meticulous Tech

MUFFLERBEARING said:
I have some HRE wheels coming and will need my tires moved from the stock rims to the HREs. Is the Hunter 9700 custom wheel friendly, aka no scratches? :-?
Hunter 9700 was run by three different meticulous techs at my local Goodyear dealer. All did balancing and tire/wheel matching on my 98 and Z06 rims and the Z06 of a friend; 16 total wheels/tires touched, no mars of any kind. I would suggest taking your own lift pucks, however. Not all dealers have them.

I should add that for four HRE wheels, I'd tip the tech $40-50. Half in advance and the rest on completion. Good insurance.

Ranger

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Any new rim clamp machine will work with these wheels or any aftermarket wheel, Hunter makes a good machine. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts