Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again.

Well, I was stuck in traffic for the first time in my Z, for a whole 90mins....it was really slow stop and go ...

at first my engine temp was at 194F....then in traffic, it climbed as high as 227 and would settle to around 225. This was really annoying me.

I turned on the ventilation fan, (with out AC)... set the knob for hot air, and opened the windows... this system really did not help, and my wife wanted to shoot me.

So as I had read from this board, I turned on the AC fan, I even set my inside temp for 69F and so I got nice cool air for the wife (it was also raining and very humid) ... and my engine temp slowly went down back to 194F.... I kept this on for almost 1 hour!!! I couldn't believe how well this worked. In my previous cars, by running the AC, that would normally overheat the engine. I guess the Z has some really big fans that are activated to take account for this type of situation?

this car rocks...

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Sounds normal
The stock factory fans are set to come on at high temps. Around 220 plus. :z:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Anytime your A/C compressor is on both fans are running. :z:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yeah, its normal. From what I understand GM designed these cars to run consistently at higher temps with no ill effects. Might not like the thought of running at 230 deg but it will not hurt anything. I was at the track last night (it was 95 deg outside with a track temp of 125) and I would run the AC to keep the temps under 200 and turn it off in the burnout box. Amazing how both fans running can keep this under control. I need to get them set to come on earlier.

·
Z06 WinterFest Coordinator
2,865 Posts
I believe putting the system in recirculation, the one with the arrows going around, will turn on both fans without pulling in the A/C compressor!!
A drag racers tip! You get the cooling of both fans without the condensation water drips of the A/C condensor!

Ken

·
Registered
844 Posts
You're right. Turn on A/C on Recirc and both fans come on high speed and keep you cool. I first heard about this from my dealer!! :eek:

·
Banned
107 Posts
Kens06 - my understanding is that if the A/C button is lit, your compressor is on even if not being heavily used. Thus the HP loss due to the compressor is still there.

·
Registered
596 Posts
FYI I run 162* F all day long and in traffic I may see 174-176 degrees with my tune. I also use an upgraded radiator with the electric water pump and I'm very happy. Good Luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a 160F Tstat and reprogrammed the fan turn on/off temps. During normal driving my temps are ~178F and in traffic Ive seen it now as high as 200F. I programmed the fan to come on at 180F.

Dixit

1 - 10 of 10 Posts