Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always thought that the jacking system they have on the C5/C6-R was quite fascinating. I guess you just plug in the air hose and they jack the car up automatically.

Does anybody have more info on how this works, where it is located on the car, and specs for it. Maybe even some pics. It doesn't have to be of the vette as I guess it would pretty much similar on other race cars.

Without sounding too stupid, would this not be an easy and cheap mod to a car. It may be a little overkill but so is an expensive show car paintjob, or 800rwhp(o.k. maybe 1000rwhp).

It would seem that this would be a very helpfull tool to have on a car that may be taken to the track or that is always played with by the owner.

Or maybe it is just a lot more complicated than I thought it was.

Just something I have been wondering about for a while.

Kingpin

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Hey, that would be very kewl.....not sure if there's room under our cars for the shaft to go up vertically. The shaft would have to be about a foot long I would imagine. From it's mounting point to the ground would need to be about 6" and then it would need to push the car up maybe 6".....and then the hydraulics would take up some room too.

When you design and build a race car from the ground up, you can design these lifts into the car, so that's gotta be easier.

Maybe DJ Worm would know!?

Great Idea :yeadog:

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
This could be done with a few linear actuators, but weight would be an issue. Hydraulic?? I doubt it. Those are probably pneumatic cylinders that they use are very light and VERY expensive and I doubt (knowing pratt & miller) that you could not even buy them off the shelf.

It would be a neat security feature, though. Drag this onto a flatbed, you idiot.

I would prefer electric as you don't need an outboard compressor or the 140 or so psi to mantain the pressure to hold up the car. I say this because I doubt they have load checks on those lines. No pressure......no lift. Seems more failsafe!?

-Tony

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have not seen a system for the C5 yet but I know they are out there for the Viper. If my recall serves me at all I think it was around $2000. The system I saw used nitrogen as opposed to air.
Tony #54

1 - 8 of 8 Posts