Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

as the topic says, how long do the "bearings" on this car last, or should last?

I just got off the phone with one of my friends that has a regular C5 1999, with only 17k miles, and he had to have the front and a rear bearings replaced. total cost, was around $1200US or so (i'm in canada, prices are more expensive i guess)

My Z06 is a 02, with 21k miles on it. (no warranty) Should i start being concerning about having a bearing problem in my near future?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I take it you are talking about wheel bearings?

Maybe he crossed a few flooded roads? :eek:

·
Registered
332 Posts
How do you replace the rear bearings?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Most SCCA T1 cars get their wheel bearings replaced annually. My rears have about 10 races on them now and I can feel play in them which means its time for them to go.

But, they won't fall off, so you shouldn't lose too much sleep over this. Next time you have the car off the ground with the wheels on it (or you can jack up one tire at a time to check), with the lug nuts fully torqued, put your hands on the front and rear of the tire and tire to move it. If you can feel play, the bearings have worn. I can't remember the spec, but it is very small. 5 thousandths maybe?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
AJRZ06 said:
How do you replace the rear bearings?
Short story:
- Take of the shaft lug
- Disconnect the parking brake
- Take off the caliper, rotor
- Split the tie rod and disconnect
- Split the upper and lower spindle bearings on the a-arms and pull the whole spindle off
- Then you can get to the three bolts that hold the wheel bearing assembly to the spindle.

Here's a pic of the backside of the spindle. The lower bolt which the wrench is on is the hard one. You can't get to it on the car as the lower a-arm bolt is in the way:

·
Registered
182 Posts
WOW, talk about an extremely timely thread... I'm planning on replacing the front bearings on my buddy's '98 this weekend.

Subdriver, thanks for the picture.

That's a 55-Torx bit, right? What's the torque spec on thoses three torx head bolts anyway?

·
Registered
270 Posts
To answer the question, for a street-driven car they should last a very long time. At least 100k+.

I'd find it VERY hard to believe that you'd need front and rears replaced at such low miles unless they were all somehow defective (doubt it) or subjected to insane abuse.

Dope

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
My front brgs had to be replaced at 18,000. I have never tracked it but did bang it good one time sideways against a bridge wall during a hydo plane spin

·
Registered
412 Posts
ack.Z06 said:
That's a 55-Torx bit, right? What's the torque spec on thoses three torx head bolts anyway?
If I remember correctly, they are 118 ft/lbs.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Thanks! :usa:

Subdriver said:
Short story:
- Take of the shaft lug
- Disconnect the parking brake
- Take off the caliper, rotor
- Split the tie rod and disconnect
- Split the upper and lower spindle bearings on the a-arms and pull the whole spindle off
- Then you can get to the three bolts that hold the wheel bearing assembly to the spindle.

Here's a pic of the backside of the spindle. The lower bolt which the wrench is on is the hard one. You can't get to it on the car as the lower a-arm bolt is in the way:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
ack.Z06 said:
WOW, talk about an extremely timely thread... I'm planning on replacing the front bearings on my buddy's '98 this weekend.

Subdriver, thanks for the picture.

That is a rear spindle, but the front is essentially the same. On the front though, all I had to do was split the lower a-arm, but not the top, to get to the torx bolt behind the lower a-arm nut.

My shop manual and car are both in Norfolk so I don't have the exact info on the size and torque and I don't want to mislead you with misinformation by going on memory. Sorry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts