Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or any car for that matter. Should you wait longer in the winter?

I was told to wait no more than a minute or two and then drive easy until the car comes up to temperature. I was also told that if you idle the car for too long, you're just wasting gas, polluting and causing more harm to your car than good.

Sal

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
I wait until my coolent temp hits 115...why...I don't know but that's just me and then I drive easy until the OIL temp is up to operating temps.

·
Registered
117 Posts
salvador said:
Or any car for that matter. Should you wait longer in the winter?

I was told to wait no more than a minute or two and then drive easy until the car comes up to temperature. I was also told that if you idle the car for too long, you're just wasting gas, polluting and causing more harm to your car than good.

Sal
GM says with todays oils you get just get in and go...no winter warm up required...old wives tail...

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I let the water temp get to ~120, then I go. I don't push it until the oil gets above 150 or so. You'll notice that at "low" oil temps, if you are in low gears, your oil pressure will be higher. Once the oil temp come up, the oil pressure tends to "normalize."

Don

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
I drive off immediately. I drive slowly until temp is about 150 or so. What's the point of warming up the engine if all the other parts are still stone cold. (tranny trans-axle etc) :cheers:

·
Registered
125 Posts
My 2 cents

I think the best indicator of when a car is fuly warmed up is the oil temp... I would say wait until 175 degrees in oil temp before doing anything harsh... this should take 3 - 6 miles of normal driving.. about 30 to 40mph

flash32

·
Registered
632 Posts
I don't push above 3,000 until after the oil temp hits 100. After that- Warp 9.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I agree. I've heard from several reputable sources that you don't need to wait more than a few seconds after startup - but it's a good idea to drive gently (stay below about 3000 RPM) for the first several minutes.

I used to let the car "warm up" for 5 minutes before I learned that it's better to just let it warm up gradually while taking it easy the first 5 mins. of driving. Like others have said, that allows all parts to warm up and get properly lubricated.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Before the Vortech, I was a get in and go kind of guy. With the Vortech, I try to let the oil get at least to 70ºF (I figure this is what it'd be on average for a cold start during the summer). The Vortech sprays oil on the gearhead through a nozzle fed off the engine oil supply. While I'm sure the Mobil 1 flows just fine at 10ºF, I have my doubts about it's ability to spray.

I have to wonder, though, if the issue isn't really the oil. I think I'd be more concerned about the mechanical tolerances when the Block is cold, than about oil flow.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Depends if you're talking stock or modified. Modified cars usually depend more on a little oil temp for reliability, especially cammed cars.

Regardless, I let the oil temp get to about 100, and then I keep the rpms under 3k until it's over 150. My mods (blower with cam) do not like sub 100 oil temps. The programming is kind of wacky at startup, probably that whole open/closed loop thing the car does. I don't frequent 6k very often, but if I did, I would want full operating oil temp to do so.

:cheers:

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
I make sure the oil pressure is up before driving out of the garage (about 10-12 seconds), then take it easy until the oil temp is at least 180 F. It will take a bit longer before the trans oil is up to max operating temp.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
salvador said:

Sal
You already have the answer. Take your time taking it out of the garage (should be about one minute). Once on the road, take it easy until the oil temp hits 150 - after that, let the fun begin. :sneaky:

Alex

·
Registered
407 Posts
Like many here, i start her, wait a few seconds for oil pressure to get up and slowly drive away. I've read some where, not to push the car above 3K until oil is 150-155 temp(the rest of the car needs to warm up also- 4-6 mins). Not until the temp is a min of 170 do a get on her...

·
Banned
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies. The reason why I asked is because I got in a dispute over it recently. He thinks that he's right and I think that I'm right. You know how it goes.

He thinks that you should let the car idle and get up to temp before driving it. I think that you should get your oil pressure up and then drive it carefully until the car is warm. I usually don't let the car idle more than a couple of minutes after starting it before I take off. He lets the car idle for at least 5 minutes before taking off. I've seen him let his car idle for close to 10 minutes when it's really cold out.

Sal

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
To let the car idle for 5-10 mins is waayyy too much! :jawdrop:

You can start a car and go, just keep the RPMs low until you get it warmed up.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Zippy said:
I make sure the oil pressure is up before driving out of the garage (about 10-12 seconds), then take it easy until the oil temp is at least 180 F. It will take a bit longer before the trans oil is up to max operating temp.
That's exactly what I do! :yeadog:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I wait until pressure is at 40 PSI before moving it out of the garage (just a few seconds), and then I go easy on it until oil temperature reaches 176F.

GB.

EDIT - Same thing as Zippy...

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Zippy said:
If your oil pressure is taking 10 to 12 seconds to come up, IMO you have something wrong with you car. Mine is well under 5 seconds for all my cars. I just changed the oil on the Zee with a new oil filter and it was less than 10 seconds for the oil pressure to come up. :z:

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
With synthetic engine oil - essentially you have constant viscosity and -near instant oil pressure.

However, when it is bitter cold - like MINUS temps - metal parts can actually get brittle (door latch hardware, brackets, etc - other "pot metal" or white metal parts).

I will usually let the car warm up long enough to see the temp needle move into the normal range and then drive conservatively.

If temps are above freezing, just start it, look for oil pressure, and drive off! :guiness:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts