Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know with each subsequent coat of Zaino, the shine is deeper, glossier, etc... but I was wondering when do you guys stop and start over? Literally, either strip it all off with clay or something else and start over from coat 1?

Okay, one other question since I'm here... :)

I do not apply multiple coats at a single session so I haven't used ZFX since the initial application (over 15 coats ago...), but I think Sal claims a benefit to using it with every 3 or so applications, correct? :guiness:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,357 Posts
I've been told you never start over. There isn't supposed to be much of a build up since it is like 99.9% optically clear. I have never stripped mine. Matter of fact, I only Zaino it once or twice a year. Other than than, I just use Z6 every time I wash it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,744 Posts
Norman's right, you never start over. Even if you clay and wash you car with Dawn, Zaino it will still be there. I believe denatured alcohol is the only way to completely remove it. Good stuff. :coo:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
I hear all the good things said on this forum regarding the Zaino products. However, it seems to be a rather involved lengthy process. I just wonder if the results on a Quick Silver car will be worth the effort. I've seen pictures of dark colored cars done with Zanio and they are quite impressive. I just wonder about the benefit of the product on Quick Silver? All informed opinions will be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,744 Posts
corvetteracer said:
I hear all the good things said on this forum regarding the Zaino products. However, it seems to be a rather involved lengthy process. I just wonder if the results on a Quick Silver car will be worth the effort. I've seen pictures of dark colored cars done with Zanio and they are quite impressive. I just wonder about the benefit of the product on Quick Silver? All informed opinions will be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark
I here the same stuff. It's completely false.
The same process of prepare the finish should be used on all cars, regardless of the polish or wax used. It a one time process. The other rumor is cost. A bottle of Zaino will last for 15 to 20 applications. It take me 20 minutes to polish my Zee:cheers:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,534 Posts
corvetteracer said:
I hear all the good things said on this forum regarding the Zaino products. However, it seems to be a rather involved lengthy process. I just wonder if the results on a Quick Silver car will be worth the effort. I've seen pictures of dark colored cars done with Zanio and they are quite impressive. I just wonder about the benefit of the product on Quick Silver? All informed opinions will be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark
Well Worth the effort, which by the way is much effort at all...
Goes on easy and comes off easy...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
736 Posts
You only start over if you have some swirls or scratches that need to be removed, it that case the swirl remover wil romove the Zaino in the spot you are working on. Otherwise Zaino away. I have so many coats on mine I am starting to have problems fitting it in the garage. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
874 Posts
PerforminNorman said:
I've been told you never start over. There isn't supposed to be much of a build up since it is like 99.9% optically clear. I have never stripped mine. Matter of fact, I only Zaino it once or twice a year. Other than than, I just use Z6 every time I wash it.

:yeadog:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
corvetteracer said:
I hear all the good things said on this forum regarding the Zaino products. However, it seems to be a rather involved lengthy process. I just wonder if the results on a Quick Silver car will be worth the effort. I've seen pictures of dark colored cars done with Zanio and they are quite impressive. I just wonder about the benefit of the product on Quick Silver? All informed opinions will be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark
I think that's a MAJOR misconception. You'll end up doing pretty much the same steps regardless of the product line you opt to go with. Like others have said, Zaino is easy on, easy off. I used to apply and remove carnuba based wax on my cars and what a PITA it was. Messy, got in all the cracks, on the trim, etc... all of those problems go away with Zaino. I'd highly recommend you consider it. I am surprised how quickly I can apply and remove a coat of Z2.

I don't have firsthand experience with QS but I am guessing it will be worth the effort. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,484 Posts
IT L GO said:
I here the same stuff. It's completely false.
The same process of prepare the finish should be used on all cars, regardless of the polish or wax used. It a one time process. The other rumor is cost. A bottle of Zaino will last for 15 to 20 applications. It take me 20 minutes to polish my Zee:cheers:
Nuff Said :ity: :thumb:

Jack
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,334 Posts
Here is an e-mail I got straight from Sal on the same subject. I hope it helps!
____________________________________________________

You never have to strip Zaino and start over again... And you never have to use Dawn again... Z-1or the new ZFX accelerator is to be applied twice a year on an everyday car and once a year on a show car. Also, please reapply Z-1 or ZFX after every ten coats of Zaino
polish(Z-2 Or Z-5 or both). Z-1or ZFX will never remove Zaino. It will tighten up and strengthen the polish system and increase the gloss.

NOTE: ZFX is an incredible product and I found the more often you use it the better your paint will look.. I use it all the time... but it's up to you...


Thank You,
Sal Zaino
(732)833-8800
http://www.zainobros.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I recently bought a quicksilver ZOB so of course the 1st thing I did was Zaino. I've been using it on my dark blue Mustang GT and it is amazing........but it just doesn't seem to give the same gloss, shine, or depth on the QS. Of course dark colors will shine better but I'm thinking about trying someother brands for the QS. Just My opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,580 Posts
atmz06 said:
I recently bought a quicksilver ZOB so of course the 1st thing I did was Zaino. I've been using it on my dark blue Mustang GT and it is amazing........but it just doesn't seem to give the same gloss, shine, or depth on the QS. Of course dark colors will shine better but I'm thinking about trying someother brands for the QS. Just My opinion.
true, silver/light colors do not have as much "pop" as darker colors, but have you tried the Z2 Pro?....it provides a good wet look, even without the Z6 gloss enhancer

:z:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
atmz06 said:
I recently bought a quicksilver ZOB so of course the 1st thing I did was Zaino. I've been using it on my dark blue Mustang GT and it is amazing........but it just doesn't seem to give the same gloss, shine, or depth on the QS. Of course dark colors will shine better but I'm thinking about trying someother brands for the QS. Just My opinion.
Top a coat of Z2Pro off with Z8 Grand Finale seal. That's what I have used on my '04 MS. My hood now looks like a pool of water.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
I've been using nothing but Zaino for the past 5 years. I've used it on red, black, and dark blue.

The initial prep makes ALL the difference in the world. Make sure to prep by washing thoroughly, clay bar, etc to get the surface as close to perfect as possible. Make sure swirls, scrataches are dealt with also.
The very very coat of Zaino will be the most difficult to remove, and that isn't bad at all. I can throw a coat of Zaino on my C4 in 20 minutes. Just make sure to let it dry fully before wiping it off.
I am finishing up my Z2 and then will order some Z2 pro. I've heard great things about it.
Like others said, it is easy to remove and there is no extensive detailing to get wax out of the cracks, etc. It also works great on black trim.
I have shown some of my friends how well it works and how easy it is....they are all now using it.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top