Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Took the fronts off after 2,000 miles and trashed them due to heavy brake dust. Use ceramics for the street, and Carbotech XP's for road courses. Stock pads suck! Too much dust and they squeak. :puke:

Bob :D

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
rpallas said:
Took the fronts off after 2,000 miles and trashed them due to heavy brake dust. Use ceramics for the street, and Carbotech XP's for road courses. Stock pads suck! Too much dust and they squeak. :puke:

Bob :D

I agree, but Im hanging to my stock til they're done, 20k miles so far.

Ceramics how much? and whats the diffrence between then and the Carboteck XPs? Why not use the same on the street, is that they are more expensive so you safe for the track?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this is my 2nd z and both of them have excellent braking power but the dust and squealing sucks ! do the ceramics stop and perform as well as the stock pads ? are they noisy?

·
Registered
844 Posts
When I switched over to ceramics with about 22K miles, the mechanic estimated I had 80% of my front pads REMAINING!! My Z is my daily driver and I also don't do events. :mug:

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
34 k/35K miles and still going strong..

Unless the tech changed them out and I don't remember..

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
ZO6VETE said:
this is my 2nd z and both of them have excellent braking power but the dust and squealing sucks ! do the ceramics stop and perform as well as the stock pads ? are they noisy?
I put GM Durastop ceramics on at 2,000 miles. No noise now and I can't tell the difference in stopping ability, but I have never had to use the brakes hard. If you track the car or try to stop quickly from high speeds the stock pads are better. I would bet that even with ceramics the car will stop better than 95% of the street cars on the road. Brake dust is much less with the ceramics. ;)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
FRC Tom said:
72,000 and still have 50% left.
Tom: I have a friend who gets brake life like that on his daily driver. He told me he uses the horn instead of the brakes. :jawdrop:

Is that your secret? :)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
2002Z06Yellow said:
I have 19K miles and i am on the original pad and rotors. I dont do any kind of events. When should we change them?
When they get close to the wear indicators. ;) New pads have about 3/8" of lining. The wear indicators will touch the rotors with about 3/32" of pad left. You should change them when you have 1/8" or no less that 3/32" left. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
terry schulze said:
Tom: I have a friend who gets brake life like that on his daily driver. He told me he uses the horn instead of the brakes. :jawdrop:

Is that your secret? :)
I hate horns I took mine out, my exhaust is my horn.
Most of my miles are hwy and I use the transmission to slow down.

·
Registered
184 Posts
24K on my original pads and still going. One track event and a season of autocrosses. The track takes more out of them than anything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts