Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Halltech T1 option by GM /20 HP more for $300?

• I would select this option if proven and available from GM

Votes: 86 56.2%
  • I would not select this option due to the $300 price tag

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • I would not select this option due to intake loudness

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I would select this option even if it was $400 for 20 HP

Votes: 51 33.3%
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you would spend $300 extra for a carbon fiber intake from GM?

If you were offered an option on the Anniversary Edition C5.5 of a pure carbon fiber induction system, which would increase your HP and torque by 20 on GMs dyno, and lower the Z06 weight by 4 lbs. would you select that option?

Halltech is ramping up, waiting for someone from GM to bite. I guarantee this much HP from the T1.

We have been back to the dyno and have repeated our testing with a small increase over our last dyno. The only other system that will possibly show up the T1 SideWinder is the TRIC T1, which has always made a few more ponies.

Poll above.\

Jim Hall

·
Registered
464 Posts
The problem is GM is too conservative and may not go for anything other than their air box.
It was a big step for them to put a small opening in to the
filter cover.

Regards,

2Charmed

:cheers:

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We'll do whatever it takes

If this certification is required, Halltech will do whatever it takes.

Our dyno numbers are real, and GM is looking for better numbers.

Jim

·
Registered
568 Posts
Doesn't the automotive industry generally refer to these pieces as the snorkle and air box??

Whenever I read intake, I always think of *the intake* as it sits between the valve covers :D

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Twenty hp for 300 dollars as an option..Hell yes!

Twenty hp for twenty grand....now thats another story..

Good luck Jim..if GM has a brain in its head..they'll go for it.

Twenty hp like that is a freebie to them!

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Intake?

The intake is the end of the air pump (that's what an engine is) beginning with the airfilter and ending with the intake valve. It is common to refer to any component of the intake track as the "induction system". What I think you were trying to say was intake "manifold" which is the plastic piece that connects the intake induction system with the combustion chamber.

The exhaust is the opposite end of the cylinder starting with the exhaust valve and ending with the tips of the exhaust mufflers, if applicable.:cheers:

I think this is what is commonly referred to as a snorkle
:roll:

The snorkle is actually a great idea for the TRIC, but it already has one. The 90-degree elbow that goes to the air-pump can actually breath, even if the entire filter is plugged up with sand or dirt or water.

Thanks for the question.

Jim

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Jim, Since the T1 doesen't have any enginered cover from splashing water do you realy think there is any chance GM would take the chance? I guess you do. I don't. Ric

·
Registered
568 Posts
I've also heard them called zip tubes (no offense Zippy ;)).

I agree the 'zip tube' is often an afterthought in the design process. And that's why it is a good opportunity for making more power..

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Poershifter

PowerShifter said:
Jim, Since the T1 doesen't have any enginered cover from splashing water do you realy think there is any chance GM would take the chance? I guess you do. I don't. Ric
Obviously you are not talking about our intake. You have it confused with the bottom breathers. The SideWinder T1 filter is under the hood and completely imune to "water splashing", in fact the top of the filter breathes cool air at four to five inches higher than the stock box.

Thanks.

Jim

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Jim, I am not confused at all. There is a reason GM puts a cover on the air box and it's not looks it's water. If you had ever driven a C5 in the winter you can see exactly were all the water and sand goes. Any system, factory with a cut cover, donaldson, or yours can and does get splashed. Now I know with the extencive testing you have done you already knew all about that diden't you? I bet water on the west coast is just as wet, but harder to see than the sandy winter wetness, it can still possibly lock up a motor don't you think???Or are YOU confused? Ric

·
Registered
878 Posts
Halltech said:
Re: How many of you would spend $300 extra for a carbon fiber intake from GM?
I'd rather win one. :roll: Oh yeah.. I did... :D

Thanks Jim, thanks JC. TPW now confirmed at 10/8/01..

I should be able to get that installed by Thanksgiving.

You can bet I'll let everyone know where I got it and how it works. :D

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hood closed

Those have already been posted.:eek: The delta between stock and our system was 14 RWHP. 16.8 RWHP with the hood up. If you had been paying attention, you would have seen those posts. Being a 'Junior' member however, gives you instant forgiveness.

Easy to criticize, hard to compare.

If you want cold air, the TRIC is the ticket.

Jim:) :) :cheers:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I agree with Powershifter, GM will never go for it, for a number of reasons: conservative, concerns about any type of water ingestion, and the "not invented here" (NIH) syndrome. Hell that is one of the reasons the ZR-1 was dropped, lack of internal support for an engine that was basically developed by Lotus under GM powertrain "oversight". :roll:

·
Registered
528 Posts
Jim,

Now, if you'd give your system to us at $300, I bet you most of us will get one. You won't have to try to get GM to bite and go through the hassle of certification and all that BS. What do you think????

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
At that price

It would take only seven years to recover our mold costs.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I see all the references to carbon fiber this and that with no reference to how much the weight savings it! I thought the reason to use carbon over "S" or "E" fiberglass, and kevlar is the weight savings. At least that is what we do on experimental aircraft.

Since the hardest part for maufacturing is the design and construction of the mold is it that carbon just looks faster?

Joe

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Get ready for 100,000 mile test requirements, CARB certs ($50,000?), etc...

SLP went through this hell to get an airbox on the Firehawk and SS's recently...finally got it though, so it can be done, just meet their requirements...

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Stock smokes Halltech

I know most of you will not believe me, especially Jim Hall, but my STOCK Z06 smoked a Halltech equipped Z06 at the drags on Saturday. Call it a fluke, call it the driver, call it a bad day for Halltech, but I smoked 'em by 1/2 second in the 1/4 mile. I have a dozen witnesses.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts