Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears that the big shows had 200-300. Small shops seem to have only a few. 7000 cars are quite a few, especially around $70k+ out the door.

It is doubtful there are 7000 people on lists. Is it closer to 2000?

Unlike the C5Z06 which was around the same price as a C5 convertible, the C6Z06 requires a significantly bigger finanical commitment.

Will discounting may begin sooner than expected?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,567 Posts
DavidNJ said:
Will discounting may begin sooner than expected?
My prediction is 1-2K under by the 2nd year, and 5-6K under in the 3rd year.

$65.8K is pretty steep for a car expected to sell in any sort of volume.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Interesting that you mention this.

I was number 22 at Kerbeck and when they called for me to place my order, I was away and I wasn't able to complete the order process for about 2 weeks. By the time I did, they were calling people in the 50's to complete their orders. That got me wondering that maybe alot of people on lists were not placing orders. I'm thinking that is the case.

I have always said that if GM got the price of the Z06 into the 70's, the volume would be cut in half and I truely believe that.

If you look at annual Viper volume which is around 1600, then take into consideration that the X06 costs $12,000 less but still $20,000 more than a C6 coupe, I would predict an annual volume for the Z06 of around 3000.

Now if GM starts handing Chevy dealers $5,000 under the table to discount the car, then the volume will certainly pick up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
GlennSullivan said:
Interesting that you mention this.

I was number 22 at Kerbeck and when they called for me to place my order, I was away and I wasn't able to complete the order process for about 2 weeks. By the time I did, they were calling people in the 50's to complete their orders. That got me wondering that maybe alot of people on lists were not placing orders. I'm thinking that is the case.

I have always said that if GM got the price of the Z06 into the 70's, the volume would be cut in half and I truely believe that.

If you look at annual Viper volume which is around 1600, then take into consideration that the X06 costs $12,000 less but still $20,000 more than a C6 coupe, I would predict an annual volume for the Z06 of around 3000.

Now if GM starts handing Chevy dealers $5,000 under the table to discount the car, then the volume will certainly pick up.

Don't forget that Kerbeck is also not the typical Vette dealer - they get a bit more allocation than most of the smaller dealers.

Calling for orders /= placing orders with GM. Calling for orders is good planning on the part of a dealer to better judge his demand levels and manage the orders within constraints.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was told that I would have the car in about 8 weeks after placing the order. I was one of the people in the 50s. However, I wasn't expecting to come up for a few months, after having been able to actual sit in one.

Kerbeck may have high allocations, however we know from other posts they are past #70. I'm sure the other volume dealers are at a similar point. We are talking maybe 600 cars/month. So if total number of people on lists is 2-3000, and 1/3 back out, the list will be gone by New Years.

I was also hoping that the roll bar and tire trailer issues would have been worked out. If I am going to trailer the car, I will take a tube-frame late model stock car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
DavidNJ said:
I was also hoping that the roll bar and tire trailer issues would have been worked out. If I am going to trailer the car, I will take a tube-frame late model stock car.
:-? Please Explain
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
I was #2 at my local dealer and was also on Stanford's list at #24. My local dealer called approx 3 weeks ago and said they could place the order. I called Stanford to let them know because I had been on their list for a LONG time. They told me they had one other cancel before me and they would not place my order for 2 more weeks, so I went with my local dealer. Being as GM didn't take orders last week Stanford should have placed my order this week for #24. I know their were several like me on more than one list. Stanford who is #2 was able to order 4 per week where as my local dealer gets 2 per month. It should end up about a 3 week advantage ordering from my local dealer. I am at event code 3000 and have been for almost 10 days. I wonder how fast the orders progess through each event code.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
Bowling Green is a 4 week lead time plant.

Orders are accepted 4 weeks before the typical vehicle is produced.

Lead-time is established by GM for supplier constraints and lower production volumes than other plants.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
Today at Carlisle Dave Hill made a presentation showing the features and benefits of the new C6-Z06 and indicated he did not expect any discounting at the volumes that Z06 production will be based on.

I don't think C5-Z06's were really discounted till the end of the '04 run!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
875 Posts
People were paying MSRP or MSRP++ for C5 Z06's right up
until the end of production.

Don't mix up the 'deals' we here on Z06Vette.com get from
our dealers with the "general case". We are a special case.

A local dealer wanted MSRP (firm) for a 2003 MY back in
late 2003, and was basically telling me he was doing me a
favor by not charging MSRP + 5k like he usually does.

I got one for A WHOLE BUNCH under MSRP from Jason at
Ross-Downing.

Now I'm buying a C6 Z06 at MSRP, where many people are
getting quotes of 10-30k above MSRP from their local dealers.

I doubt you'll see wholesale discounting of the C6 Z06 over
the normal sales life of the car.

Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,567 Posts
Jim Conforti said:
A local dealer wanted MSRP (firm) for a 2003 MY back in
late 2003, and was basically telling me he was doing me a
favor by not charging MSRP + 5k like he usually does.
Hmm. I got mine from a random dealer (not anyone associated with this site) for very slightly under MSRP in late 2001 (2002 model year). I thought MSRP minus 2 or 3K was becoming pretty common out in the world by 2003.

We'll see I guess. It's also a world of difference between trying to sell a low 50's car and trying to sell a mid 60's car. Lots of demand goes "poof" between those two price points.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Jim Conforti said:
People were paying MSRP or MSRP++ for C5 Z06's right up
until the end of production.

Don't mix up the 'deals' we here on Z06Vette.com get from
our dealers with the "general case". We are a special case.

A local dealer wanted MSRP (firm) for a 2003 MY back in
late 2003, and was basically telling me he was doing me a
favor by not charging MSRP + 5k like he usually does.

I got one for A WHOLE BUNCH under MSRP from Jason at
Ross-Downing.

Now I'm buying a C6 Z06 at MSRP, where many people are
getting quotes of 10-30k above MSRP from their local dealers.

I doubt you'll see wholesale discounting of the C6 Z06 over
the normal sales life of the car.

Jim
Got mt 02 for 5k under.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,957 Posts
I don't believe GM is anticipating moving 7,000 Z06's per year at 66 t0 70 grand.

I am sure GM is aware as they raise the transaction price the sales volume drops....(compared to the C5 Z06)

4500 per year production is my guess and quite a few will go to europe. (thats why the exhaust is quiet ..etc..)

The other great option GM has is just tune the pcm for a few more ponies....I believe there is power easily tapped through the pcm...

Of course changing the cam? Offering different transmissions etc...can increase the potiential market so I don't imagine big discounting...

Wish it were true but wouldn't count on it.

JMO

JB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,081 Posts
I still say the bottom is going to fall out of the market for this car much much quicker than folks (especially dealers) would like for you to believe. Between the cost of the car itself, and the ever rising cost of gas, I predict discounts in 8/9 months and rebates/cheap interest in 18-24 months at most. We are seeing deep discounts now on C6's. The prices WILL come down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
f430 said:
Got mt 02 for 5k under.
I think I was quoted either $2500 under or $3500 under. January '03 I believe.

18-24 months is the end of the LS7 as the LS9 takes over. The Dave Hill comment may have been that they will reduce production rather than flood the market forcing prices down. Still, I would expect at least $2k-4k in the winter of '06-'07. With LS9 rumors rampant.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
561 Posts
snakecharmer said:
I still say the bottom is going to fall out of the market for this car much much quicker than folks (especially dealers) would like for you to believe. Between the cost of the car itself, and the ever rising cost of gas, I predict discounts in 8/9 months and rebates/cheap interest in 18-24 months at most. We are seeing deep discounts now on C6's. The prices WILL come down.

I tend to agree with you. All the great press and site-wide fervor don't matter much. It is sales that the bean counters are looking at. I think GM priced it at a price point that will make it difficult to access for most of the Corvette faithful. So the "gotta have it" guys (Corvette owners and otherwise) will grab theirs quickly, and then the demand will drop significantly. Is it great performance for the money? Without any doubt whatsoever. But I suspect that it is still a bit more money than most current and former Z owners can easily swing. Like most of you guys on this site, I can only hope the price drops to a point that makes it easier for me to justify owning one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
GlennSullivan said:
:-? Please Explain
For a track day in a 2-seater, especially with wide tires, you need a way to get them to the track.They really don't fit in the car. There are little aluminum trailers for this. C5 Corvettes, mufflers on the side, had trailer hitches available. C6s, with the muffler in the center, so far have no hitches.

The car is so fast a roll bar is required for drag racing. And desired for track days. Many (most? all?) C5 roll bars have some piece welded to the chassis. Which you can't do with an aluminium chassis. So how do you mount one?

I've been running a late model stock car at oval track races. I have a Port City, with an engine built to the track rules (around $18k, but should have been around $20k, for the engine). Chassis come both offset (like mine) or perimeter. For ovals, perimeters are used only when the rules require them. However they can be easily road raced (they're symmetric). A full chassis, with body, brakes, fuel cell, quick change, seat, etc. is $12k-16k. An oval track crate motor is $5-7k. Wheels are steel and about $100-110 in 10" width. Race tires are about $125 each. You can see a chassis in the online catalog at LefthanderChassis.com. PRS, Randercar, Howe also have lots of pictures. Occassionally you can find a used chassis for under $10k.

These cars handle well, are rugged, repairable (stuff your Z06 in the guardrail at 100 you have probably totaled it; this probably could be repared for $4-8k).

However I wanted to get away from the production of trailering the car. If I needed to do this in order to track a Z06, it less work to trailer the real think. I already have the trailer and truck.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,961 Posts
Jim Conforti said:
People were paying MSRP or MSRP++ for C5 Z06's right up
until the end of production.

Don't mix up the 'deals' we here on Z06Vette.com get from
our dealers with the "general case". We are a special case.

A local dealer wanted MSRP (firm) for a 2003 MY back in
late 2003, and was basically telling me he was doing me a
favor by not charging MSRP + 5k like he usually does.

I doubt you'll see wholesale discounting of the C6 Z06 over
the normal sales life of the car.

Jim
From what I recall at the time, my deal of $750 over invoice (about $5K off sticker) from my local dealer was not that uncommon for an 02 in the middle of 03. The 2.9% financing was just a bonus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,624 Posts
I've decided that if Zippy doesn't sell me his, I'll look into buying one the winter of 2006. I love the engineering of the car a lot - but the loks though much improved, are still not enough to get me to write a check for MSRP. If I weren't already in a 500 hp Z06 I might feel different, but I doubt it. I don't think I'm alone in waiting it out.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top