Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of the sudden my 2nd gear started grinding. It shifts ok while shifting easy but when you shift a little quick or downshift, it grinds real bad. Im almost positive it needs a new synchro. How much does it cost to replace this?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
All the 02s and 1/2 of the 03s and back had an issue with that.
You need to get the steel shift fork mod done. Do a search on steel fork and you see MANY. With only 16k miles I would talk to a dealer BUT get all your info ready for the fight.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone? Im sure someone has had this done.

·
Registered
299 Posts
We just last week had our trans rebuilt buy Rockland Standard Gear. The cost was close to $2000.00. The gearbox had a syncro problem and needed to have some of the updates done. Carbon ring and steel shifting forks.
Tony #54

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ELF Z06 said:
We just last week had our trans rebuilt buy Rockland Standard Gear. The cost was close to $2000.00. The gearbox had a syncro problem and needed to have some of the updates done. Carbon ring and steel shifting forks.
Tony #54

ouch.. thats more than i wanted to hear. thanks!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mine has a little catch it right now. I'm sure before too long, I'll be yanking the tranny out for repairs. It sucks, only 18k on mine. You'd think they'd get things right, but what can I expect for a first year model car.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My first gear syncro has gone out. I dont know how i dont down shift to first. So now i have to put it in second then first at a stoplight. This happend at 25,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
The "composite" (cardboard like) covering comes of the blocker rings in sections which needs to be there. Oil film covers the blocker ring and slows the gear down for engagement. When this covering comes off it doesn't slow the gear down and causes the grinding. Aftermarket companies are making a carbon coated ring that holds together better.
BUT you still need the the 2/3 steel shift fork modification or it will still over extend the shift movement (you have no control of it) and the little retaining keys try to come out and that is what causes the gear to get stuck in 3rd. If you get GM to repair under warranty, you supply the blocker rings (syncros) and get them to install the steel fork and do the work. If they say they will not warranty it with those blocker rings, Ask them WHAT warranty are they going to give you if they use GM rings? AND get it it in writing.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had to get mine replaced after I had the car about 2 weeks. I bought my 02' with only 8K miles on it and drove it like I stole it for 2 weeks before 2nd gear wouldn't work. It would only grind! My chevrolet dealer here fixed it in a week. Said it has also messed up some other stuff in the transmission!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am having the same "grinding" issue with the 3-4 shift. I only have about 5K miles on my 03 MY, and replaced the stock shifter at about 1K miles. No problems up until now. QUESTION: Do you think the dealer (Les Stanford) will give me a hard time considering I have an aftermarket shifter? Should I reinstall the stock shifter before taking it in? Any help is appreicated....thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
bad synchros

I have a 04 same problem this is the second car I've had with the same problem the first car gm bought back after the dealer crowley chevrolet in west hartford connecticut had my car for over 45 days got car back all scratched and tranny still wasn't right had to get lawyer and fight with gm finally gm bought car back then i bought another one dummy me same problem again if i was you i would take out tranny and get it fixed right i would recommend rockland standard gear

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Syncros are sold in pairs only 1st & 2nd, 3rd & 4th, and 5th and 6th.
Last I looked they were 350.00 wholesale from GM for a pair.
If you look around you can find them for half that.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I had mine done at 20,000 miles and I also had the 3-4 shift forkl replaced. I needed a new synchro and they installed a new shift fork for me all under warranty for free. No problems or issues at all after that. They changed out all my fluids and really took good care of the car. I have not had a problem since. I now have 29,000. mile s on it as I drive it everyday rain or shine. I love my z06. Dr.Bigg

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had the same problem with 3rd gear in my z06. From what I heard and like previously stated the blocker rings were the problem. I had my transmission rebuilt at a local shop called Futral Motorsports here in Louisiana. It cost me about 1300 for the trans work and I hand them put a steel shift fork in as well. They used some better blocker rings with carbon friction material and the car seems alot better now. I am waiting for cooler weather to get to the track and see how it works under hard conditions.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a '03 Z. How do I know I have a steel shift fork or not?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
atz06 said:
I have a '03 Z. How do I know I have a steel shift fork or not?
Feburary 2003 was the change over to steel shift forks :cheers:

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
When I treid to explain the dealer that my car most times had to be put into 2nd to engage 1st at a stoplight, they just told me "that's how it is - live with it".

At the time I had bigger issues to address and the factory warranty ran out before they ever acknowlegded thsi was an issue - and if it was I was told it was not warranty repairable.

I am pretty sure the extended service plan wouldn't cover this even if it is a well doucmented failure for these cars.

60,000 miles and it is just the same it was 3 years ago. 1st is olnly reachable via 2nd at stand still. I guess one day it's just gonna give up the ghost.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts