Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to find out the average prices for new and used bare blocks with Darton MID sleeves fitted?

Is there any concerns with buying a used block?

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Or you could buy the private-seller 422ci MTI Camaro on the flyer stuck to the message board in their lobby, for $16,000.

Buy a crate LS1 for $3000 - swap the engine out and sell the 2000 SS for $12,000 - and have an MTI 422 for $7,000.

:)

There are many engines-in car deals going one. Just keep your eyes open.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
FRC Tom said:

I agree with FRC Tom - in fact I have been talking to Steve D. about just such an approach for my car. He is one of the VERY FEW that I would trust to sleeve an engine correctly. Figure about $2,800 for him to obtain a new LS2 block, stress relieve it, bore it, and sleeve it for you. Keep in mind that this is just the first step towards your 427 build. Step 2, talk with Tony Mamo about a 225 AFR head configuration. I have just finished specs with him on my "overkill" 225s complete with Ferrea Competition Plus hollow stem valves, Comp 921 valve springs... To maximize your intake, you will probably want to get a FAST intake and 90mm TB. Some other choices to consider: crank (I will probably go Callies), rods ( probably Lunati Pro Mod), Pistons ( not sure yet, maybe JE or Diamond). It goes on - don't forget important items like upgrading the water pump - the LS2 pump is pretty crappy and you need more than the LS1/LS6 pump - think Evans.

Bottom line for me if I do this is a bullet proof, emissions legal 427 making approximately 575 at the crank, and ready to kick the snot out of any LS7 in my "old fashioned" IMHO much more attractive FRC.

:cheers:

·
Registered
624 Posts
I know you asked for a 427 ci, but take a look at the 402 ci motors. The short blocks are fairly cheap. (<4K). Then add a set of AFR 225s and you prob will have a stout motor. I'm considering going this route in the future.

Check out ls1tech.com in the motor sects. a lot of posts.

·
Registered
687 Posts
We have a take out Darton sleeved complete engine in stock for a resonable price.

We built the customer a complete C5R engine with the GM C5R block and took it in on trade.

Call me tomorrow at 972-429-1963

Ask for Lou

Thanks
Lou Gigliotti LGM

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, I was looking at the LS2 also but thought that the Darton MID wet sleeves were better for cooling the combustion area??

Does anyone know if GM will be selling LS7 bare blocks?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
If it is pure cubes you are looking for, meaning you have to have a 427, than it is going to cost a bit. If you can live with a 402 or 408, there are a lot of "crate" type LS2 short blocks out there for under $5000.00. These have forged internals and will handle quite a bit of power.

So I guess it depends on how much those extra 25 cubes are worth to you.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I agree with Ninja. Also, I think you can go as big as 415 ci on an LS2. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not sure of rwhp and rwtq, but I think 500 rwtq can be made with a 402.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
NinjaZ06 said:
If you can live with a 402 or 408, there are a lot of "crate" type LS2 short blocks out there for under $5000.00. These have forged internals and will handle quite a bit of power.
What would be the maximum shot of Nitrous on one of these bottom ends? Could they handle a 200shot?

·
Registered
971 Posts
I would only shoot 100-150 shot on these motors. Whether it is a Darton, LS2, C5R...They eventually ALL go boom.

Wet Block, Steve only, about $3,000.

Total build on these motors 20-30k.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts