Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking ahead to this summer, how much HP/TQ can a stock drivetrain take with DRAG SLICKS on the car? I have read about a number of things that go clunk in the night :puke: , from shafts to transmission cases....so, what is everyone's experience?

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
I haven't run slicks. But we ran 400 plus passes with ET streets with 375 rwhp without a problem. We didn't start breaking chit until we hit 440 rwhp and installed the Exedy dual clutch.

Now we have have a Getreg 3.73 diff with an RPM brace and Rockland trans with a hardend output trans shaft. Our trans was fine but since it was the second trans output shaft we broke my hubby got me the whole trans for Christmas. We also pulled the Dual Exedy and went the the Spec stage 3 since we felt the Exedy was hitting to hard for our car.

So far about 25 passes on current set-up. So far so good

Your results may vary :yeadog:

:cheers:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my concern is the amount of hook up that slicks will provide and its direct beating to the drive train......

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Slicks, alone, are NOT the problem...
Rev-limiter launches, aggressive clutches, and ham-fisted shifting ALL take their toll as well... :eek::

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
PowerPro01 said:
Slicks, alone, are NOT the problem...
Rev-limiter launches, aggressive clutches, and ham-fisted shifting ALL take their toll as well... :eek::
True, but I broke BADLY on a 5000rpm Drag Radial launch & I'm pretty much stock except the Vararam & tuning. If you dead hook, bad things are possible..I now have hardened parts & a DTE brace.. I've got close to 20 passes under my belt (knocking wood HARD).
Ron

·
Registered
971 Posts
I have seen big cube cars running nos(800 rwt.) not break anything. JoeFiveO's car being one example. Launching at 5,000-7,500 rpm can get ugly. I prefer 3,200.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Dead hooking is what causes breaking. Drag radials are Worse than E/T streets, because they don't have much sidewall flex, which can absord some of the impact. I would go with what most guys with higher HP cars are doing....Most add at least a hardend left side (long side) Output shaft, and a DTE strut brace. Many people on the Corvette Forum are running this way and having good luck. I haven't heard of anyone breaking a hardened outputshaft, or grenaded a trans or differential with the DTE Brace. I hope that helps. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
ForceFedZ06 said:
Dead hooking is what causes breaking. Drag radials are Worse than E/T streets, because they don't have much sidewall flex, which can absord some of the impact. I would go with what most guys with higher HP cars are doing....Most add at least a hardend left side (long side) Output shaft, and a DTE strut brace. Many people on the Corvette Forum are running this way and having good luck. I haven't heard of anyone breaking a hardened outputshaft, or grenaded a trans or differential with the DTE Brace. I hope that helps. Good Luck!
Yup, that's what i ended up doing.
Ron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts