Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

just the subj. Auto-shop specializes on f-bodys and vettes.
How much time would it take to replace 4 shocks.

Thanks

·
Registered
744 Posts
I went to a friend's auto shop and the two of us took about an 1.5 hours including wheels off/on, etc. with the car on a good lift.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RobSan said:
I went to a friend's auto shop and the two of us took about an 1.5 hours including wheels off/on, etc. with the car on a good lift.
so that should be about a 100 bucks job...

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
I'd say 100.00 is on the low side. More like 150.00. Let us know what they charge you. :cheers:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IT L GO said:
I'd say 100.00 is on the low side. More like 150.00. Let us know what they charge you. :cheers:

ok,i will

i am jsut trying to udnerstand what takes the most time, since the rear shocks are so easy, that they should take like 5 mins to drop the old ones and another 10 mins to put the new ones. i don't know about the front ones.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
atoyf said:
ok,i will

i am jsut trying to udnerstand what takes the most time, since the rear shocks are so easy, that they should take like 5 mins to drop the old ones and another 10 mins to put the new ones. i don't know about the front ones.
Shops make there money not by how long it takes them, but what the Flat Rate manual says it takes. Any Mechanic worth his salt can beat the the manual time in half, In other-words, If the Book says 2 hours to R&R shocks as an example a good Mechanic will do it in 1 hour or less. The exception is factory warranty repairs. A lot of Mechanic's hate to do Warranty work. General Motors for instance cuts it real close. :z:

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
I did mine myself, the rears was easy but the fronts was a different story. I used the McRat method on the fronts, which consisted of compressing the shock and the zip tying it tight and then taking it out. Just make sure your zip ties hold. It was really not that hard after I figered out what I was doing. :crazy:

·
Registered
744 Posts
We didn't even use the zips; we just put them in, compressed them by hand, and bolted everything in place. Of course, we are "manly men".

·
Registered
830 Posts
My buddy and I did it on the floor in his garage in about 2-2.5 hours all four.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts