Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have changed my rotors and pads in the past, but I do not have a good place to do this (i.e. no garage, no lift). I have been getting quotes ranging between $250 -$375. The guy who quoted $375 said that he would have to turn the rotors and cross cut them to avoid run out?? Whatever!

Can you please give me some idea of what this should cost and what work really needs to be done. I will supply the Carbotech pads and OEM smooth rotors. The brakes have recently been bled using ATE fluid.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I think most dealerships will charge you about $100-$120 per side, so I would say your quotes are pretty high. I actually have a guy that does mine for $100. Of course this is a BUDDY deal, but I would say somewhere around 2 bills is what should pay, at most.

·
Registered
692 Posts
sorry i couldn't get to your car yesterday.it is almost impossible for me to do wait jobs without notice,especially on friday of a holiday weekend.don't resurface your new rotors.if you read this early enough sat.morning give me a call at the station.

·
Premium Member
4,333 Posts
The consensus in the under-car industry is that you shouldn't turn new rotors. It is important to burnish the new rotors and pads.
I have yet to have a return using this process. If I couldn't do the work myself, I would look more for a reputable shop than price.
It only takes a minute for a Monkey Wrench to screw up your car.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
First figure out the cost of parts:

Rotors 100.00
stock pads 150.00 (guessing here, since I don't use them)
fluid 12.00

So the difference in price is going to be the quality of pads plus the labor. I would define the parts to be used and then discuss the installed price.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gasboy said:
sorry i couldn't get to your car yesterday.it is almost impossible for me to do wait jobs without notice,especially on friday of a holiday weekend.don't resurface your new rotors.if you read this early enough sat.morning give me a call at the station.
Jim:

No need to apologize. I understand. Just thought I would check around to see if I could get them done somewhere else on Friday. The quotes seemed to be high, and some included some B.S. I will give you a call when I have some time.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Backlash said:
First figure out the cost of parts:

Rotors 100.00
stock pads 150.00 (guessing here, since I don't use them)
fluid 12.00

So the difference in price is going to be the quality of pads plus the labor. I would define the parts to be used and then discuss the installed price.

Good Luck.
Already have the pads rotors and fluid. I am really interested in labor and any other suggestions on how to do it right.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Bob said:
Already have the pads rotors and fluid. I am really interested in labor and any other suggestions on how to do it right.
In that case, I would say what Leslie is paying is in the right ballpark. It really doesn't take more than 2-3 hours to do the whole job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts