Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to where should one look for weight reduction on the new Z. Can you get it to loose 300lb? A couple things I could think of:

1. Run-flat tires
2. Change the hood to CF
3. Drive shaft
4. Exhausts
5. Floor mats
6. Lighter bolts, fasteners
7. Seats
8. Rotors (real expensive for very little weight saving)

and lastly, go on a diet myself :blush:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,747 Posts
PerforminNorman said:
The easiest for me would be to lose some "driver's weight". :rofl: :p

:rofl: That might be the cheapest, but I am not sure if it is the easiest. I think my next major mod should be ME! :z:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,744 Posts
PerforminNorman said:
The easiest for me would be to lose some "driver's weight". :rofl: :p
Ditto :blush:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,744 Posts
TetraU said:
Just curious as to where should one look for weight reduction on the new Z. Can you get it to loose 300lb? A couple things I could think of:

1. Run-flat tires
2. Change the hood to CF
3. Drive shaft
4. Exhausts
5. Floor mats
6. Lighter bolts, fasteners
7. Seats
8. Rotors (real expensive for very little weight saving)

and lastly, go on a diet myself :blush:
Probably not more than a 125 lbs in everything listed. They say for every 100 lbs of weight decease you pick up 1/10 in the quarter. It would be more economical to increase HP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
968 Posts
TetraU said:
Just curious as to where should one look for weight reduction on the new Z. Can you get it to loose 300lb? A couple things I could think of:

1. Run-flat tires
2. Change the hood to CF
3. Drive shaft
4. Exhausts
5. Floor mats
6. Lighter bolts, fasteners
7. Seats
8. Rotors (real expensive for very little weight saving)

and lastly, go on a diet myself :blush:
WHY?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
IT L GO said:
Probably not more than a 125 lbs in everything listed. They say for every 100 lbs of weight decease you pick up 1/10 in the quarter. It would be more economical to increase HP.
It's helpful when you need to stop or go round a corner though. :)

I think the new Z06 is a bit too nice to strip out though (unless you do a really professional job). A much better idea would be to get a dedicated track car if you want something lighter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,174 Posts
GM should take some lessons from the Germans on how to reduce weight in cars. Take (for two examples) the Porsche 911 GT3RS and the F360CS. The 360 CS doesn't even have carpeting! The GT3RS has a read window of plexiglas and the badges aren't even badges...they are stickers! Talk about being anal with the weight reduction. Of course, those are track cars and I'm sure they did some of this with the C6R, but I'm sure there's lots of weight to be trimmed from the C6Z.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,276 Posts
Chevy has already gone crazy reducing weight in the Z06. Do you think there's any easy weight savings, when they went to extremes like magnesium and aluminum frame components, and carbon fiber? To make it any lighter is going to convert it from a street car to a race car. Yank out the air conditioning, emissions stuff, carpeting, insulation, etc. Take a close look at the C5-R, and you'll get the idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,567 Posts
I dunno, TVR seems to make some pretty lightweight stuff. TVR's tend to weigh around around 2300 lbs, even in the 440 HP models. 440HP in a 2300 lb car is crazy fast.

Of course, they're only available in right hand drive, but the point is, they are significantly lighter than we are. The higher end models like that 440 HP one are more $$, although not _that_ much more. But the T350 is in the same price range as a Z, if I remember right. It also weighs about 2320 lbs, so it's 350 HP are roughly equivalent to 480-490 HP in our cars.

I think at some point, weight reduction makes more sense than power increases, since it can improve more than just acceleration.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
fastchevyII said:
Just add more HP. There is alot of HP that can be gained via computer mods/chips.
yeah & buy bigger size pants! :ity:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,276 Posts
Are those TVRs street legal in the US? It's my understanding that getting cars to pass the crash tests in the US requires much heavy stuff to be added. Keep in mind the Enzo weighs 3000 lbs. Considering it's 10x the cost of the new Z06, 3100 lbs is pretty remarkable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,567 Posts
Yeah, good point, they're not. I think they're supposed to be making US legal versions of them soon though. Be interesting to see how much weight that adds. I think the European crash standards are pretty comparable to ours these days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
ChuckChurch said:
Are those TVRs street legal in the US? It's my understanding that getting cars to pass the crash tests in the US requires much heavy stuff to be added.
If the Elise can pass safety tests so can a TVR, emissions might be a problem but getting around that wouldn't be difficult (detuning the cars). I think the two main reasons TVRs are not sold in the US are:

1. Harsher build regulations
2. Liability insurance

TVRs are not historically very well built and I believe the US 'lemon' laws nearly put TVR out of business in 1984. In fact Peter Wheeler said when TVR pulled out of the US "It was the 4th time that TVR had been involved in the States and every time it had nearly ruined the company. I said never again."

Now TVR has a new Russian owner who knows. The new TVRs are suppose to be a lot better in terms of build quality, although I suspect Porsche would still laugh at some of the problems owners have.

The new TVR Typhoon might generate a bit of interest (when they eventually get around to building it). Rumored to have 585 bhp with a sub 1100 kg (2420 lbs) weight for £85K (~ $150K). Although the price of the "Ultra high performance track day gearbox" might scare a few people off at £34K ($61K)!! It makes the "Ultra high performance track day differential" seem a bargain at only £15K ($27K) ... :eek:o:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,533 Posts
luke1 said:
If the Elise can pass safety tests so can a TVR, emissions might be a problem but getting around that wouldn't be difficult (detuning the cars). I think the two main reasons TVRs are not sold in the US are:

1. Harsher build regulations
2. Liability insurance

TVRs are not historically very well built and I believe the US 'lemon' laws nearly put TVR out of business in 1984. In fact Peter Wheeler said when TVR pulled out of the US "It was the 4th time that TVR had been involved in the States and every time it had nearly ruined the company. I said never again."

Now TVR has a new Russian owner who knows. The new TVRs are suppose to be a lot better in terms of build quality, although I suspect Porsche would still laugh at some of the problems owners have.

The new TVR Typhoon might generate a bit of interest (when they eventually get around to building it). Rumored to have 585 bhp with a sub 1100 kg (2420 lbs) weight for £85K (~ $150K). Although the price of the "Ultra high performance track day gearbox" might scare a few people off at £34K ($61K)!! It makes the "Ultra high performance track day differential" seem a bargain at only £15K ($27K) ... :eek:o:
Hmmm... don't look to Porsche for quality... owned 4 of them... three late model (996 C2 cab, 996 C4 coupe, 996 Turbo) Every last one had warrantee problems... either lots of little things (the rag top that got stuck down and wouldn't go up), or the transmission in the turbo that wouldn't stay in gear (new tranny... cost as much as engine, trans, diff in our cars all together).

Porsches are nice... really nice... jewelery on wheels, with an excellent interior and panel fitment... but they aren't perfect (and they are heavy... really damn heavy unless they are a dedicated race car)...

The TVR is a nice little car.... great curves, great power, AWESOME SOUND... not sure about the reliability, but they sure look like fun and the owners seem to drive the poo out of them.... did I mention they sound great?

Zed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
GM could produce a track Z that still had AC and a radio. But it would have super thin doors no padding anywhere, plex windows and some other stuff. Probably weigh around 2900 pounds. I'de love one, it would be noisy and raucaus.

I'm still wondering if the factory has made roll bar attachment pads in the production Z.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,852 Posts
TetraU said:
Just curious as to where should one look for weight reduction on the new Z. Can you get it to loose 300lb? A couple things I could think of:

1. Run-flat tires
2. Change the hood to CF
3. Drive shaft
4. Exhausts
5. Floor mats
6. Lighter bolts, fasteners
7. Seats
8. Rotors (real expensive for very little weight saving)

and lastly, go on a diet myself :blush:

1. I didnt think run flats were lighter then F1s

4. I thought our TI was the lightest, or do you mean have no exhaust? :NoNo:
5. floor mats, you mean just take them off, arent they only like a few pounds


I dont complain about 31xx lbs, my bros //M weighs 34xxlbs with a 6 cylinder and no spare, a 360 modena weighs 34xx lbs I believe and you pay $150k, and a more rediculous one is the 2000 Cobra R has no radio, no AC ect. and still weights 36xx lbs :lol:
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top