Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Just returned from a weekend DE. My car is one year old with about 17K miles.

I'm in the process of putting my ceramic street pads back on. I jack up the rear left, slide under to place the jack stand, and BOOM, I see fluid on the black leaf spring(?) and clinging to the underside of the tranny. So I assume I have a gasket leak of some sort?

The car shifted just fine on my way home from the event.

So, looking for an opinion. Should I yank out everything in the car that would give a clue that I DE the car? This would be the BK harness bar, pull the seats to remove the quick connect belt posts, thoroughly clean the rocker panels and wheel wells of all track clag streaks, bleed the brakes and put DOT3 back in(I have DOT 4 in now, BUT it is amber, same as DOT3's color :p )

anyone ever run into this situation, and what did you do????

Also, should I have the car flat-bedded to the dealer for service, or would it be safe to drive it over?

thanks!!

·
Registered
722 Posts
L/S final drive seal seepage is pretty common and unless I actually saw drops of ATF on the garage floor I'd just drive it to my dealer. A dealer won't deny coverage just for DE laps.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Is it possible that the overflow valve is the source. By your description that the spring was covered with fluid, I am assuming you probably have a leaky axle seal which may have been caused by the DE or not. Maybe it just surfaced and you happened to notice it. Was it like this when you changed to your track pads?

If not, the extra stress due to the DE may have pushed it over the edge. If this is the case, you must pay if you are going to play. It's part of racing / DE's. Unfortunately, most of us do not have sponsors to pick up the tabs when something goes wrong!!!

Let us know what it is.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zeaux6 said:
Is it possible that the overflow valve is the source. By your description that the spring was covered with fluid, I am assuming you probably have a leaky axle seal which may have been caused by the DE or not. Maybe it just surfaced and you happened to notice it. Was it like this when you changed to your track pads?

If not, the extra stress due to the DE may have pushed it over the edge. If this is the case, you must pay if you are going to play. It's part of racing / DE's. Unfortunately, most of us do not have sponsors to pick up the tabs when something goes wrong!!!

Let us know what it is.
Thanks guys. Zeaux6. I do pay to play......rotors, pads, dot4, tires, and entry fees. :jammin:

this car came from the factory ready for the track(otherwise, why would it have a COMPETITIVE driving mode? :) and should easily be able to handle the stresses of DE's(about 6 per year), at least for the 36k miles of the warranty period......before springing a leak......

I can't get mad as I told my wife when I bought it that yes it's a Corvette, but it's also built by GM, so I am going to enjoy it and hopefully it will be in my garage more than their's..

This puppy is getting repaired under warranty, and I will work for the next week to remove any evidence possible that it has been tracked......especially when you say it might be an axle seal........ouch....

thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts