Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I build my own engine from the bare block and install it by myself, I change out my torque tube in the middle of the NCM parking lot, tune PCMs, etc.
For the life of me I can't get the bloody air out of my brake lines. :crazy:
I was told to gravity bleed them so I have all the bleeders open with tubes on them inserted into cups with fluid in them and the cap off the master cylinder. Seven hours later and I still have no brake pedal. :cen:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
:lol: :lol: I don't mean to laugh, but I find that Hilarious.
Time to bring the Wifey in for the pedal pumper

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sabot said:
Is it a new master cylinder?
No, while I had the engine out I pulled the calipers and painted them Electron Blue plus I had to remove a line off the ABS block when I droped the sub-frame to remove the engine.

I guess I will have to buy a bleeder kit 2morrow, just didn't want to spend 50 bucks for something I'll use just once.

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Sorry to hear you came this far Bro and bleeding the brakes is the prob.:(

Jack

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gsjack said:
Sorry to hear you came this far Bro and bleeding the brakes is the prob.:(

Jack
At least the engine fired right up Jack. I find it quite funny myself that I have come this far and I'm stuck at one of the basics of car mechanics. Autoshop 101. :)

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
FRC Tom said:
At least the engine fired right up Jack. I find it quite funny myself that I have come this far and I'm stuck at one of the basics of car mechanics. Autoshop 101. :)
These things can sure humble you in flash Tom. If i could have done what you have to the beast and bleeding the brakes were my only prob, i'd be on my knees kissing the Z.
Your the one of the best i have seen at turning wrenches, i salute you.:thumb: :z:

Jack

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Tom, If you broke into the ABS you may have to bleed it or get it bleed with a tech II. I believe the GM manual says thats when the tech II is to be used if the ABS system is opened.

·
Registered
891 Posts
You probably have air in the master cylinder. Crack the lines at the MC to purge the air out. You need a friend to push on brake pedal and bleed MC. If you can't catch all the fluid in rags, just hose the area off when you are done to neutralize the brake fluid so it doesn't ruin paint. A windex bottle with water works nicely.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Did you release the pressure from the brake booster? Pull the vacuaam hose off to release the presure, this will alow the master cylinder piston to retract.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I know how you feel. I am not nearly as good a wrench turner, but I always have more trouble bleeding brakes than I expect. I am just no good at it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
FRC Tom said:
For the life of me I can't get the bloody air out of my brake lines. :crazy: . . . Seven hours later and I still have no brake pedal. :cen:
Tom, you're a good man to tackle all that great work on your car. :)
If it's any consolation, I "did brakes" for the Greenwood endurance racing Vettes in the '70's. My hangover from the Sebring win with Dickie Smothers was "all-time best".

One time at Daytona during practice we could NOT get the pedal to firm up cause of an airlock on one of the ZL1's. Had the back or the front of the car jacked up about three feet, etc., etc. Finally just had to "open" EVERYTHING and totally start over. NOTHING is worse than a ego-freaking road-racer driver who has "bad brakes" as an excuse for his lap times. :bang:
(no, that was not Greenwood. Names blacked-out to protect the guilty).
I feel your pain. :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
As said before, if you removed a line from the ABS block you probably have air in there. No amount of bleeding at the caliper will fix this.

GM dealership with a Tech II can purge it, then you have to re-flush the system to get the air out.

I've also heard that you can drive around, engage ABS a few times, drive back, leave car running and re-bleed. *shrug*

Dope

·
Registered
110 Posts
Dope said:
As said before, if you removed a line from the ABS block you probably have air in there. No amount of bleeding at the caliper will fix this.

GM dealership with a Tech II can purge it, then you have to re-flush the system to get the air out.

I've also heard that you can drive around, engage ABS a few times, drive back, leave car running and re-bleed. *shrug*

Dope
I agree with this assessment.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tuned a TT T/A for AntiVenom yesterday. He brought his pressure bleeder with him when he took me home last night.
Now to finish my White Diamond Pearl paint job. Still have the hood and facia to shoot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts