Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See sig for current mods. With old toyo ra1 combo (275/40/17 front and 315/35/18 rear) car had mild understeer to neutral.
With new Cup tire combo of 295 front and 315 rear car is now neutral (barely) at turn-in but during track out is oversteer under power pretty badly. Played with tire pressures to even get it there.
Fun but want more neutral with a touch understeer.

Was debating about adding stiffer (larger) front sway bar combo??

What should I do?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention alignment. Went toe in in rear 1/6 total and -1 neg camber each side figuring that might help me plant better.
Front is 1/8 toe out and -1.4 camber.

I know I need more camber but I drive to track so dual car.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
The answer to your question(s) is ^^^^up there^^^^ in the STICKY labeled Basic Suspension Set Up and Trouble Shooting Algorhythm.

Look under corner exit oversteer.

You may need more rear shock rebound or less Rear Toe IN.

However, I think your alignment is not optimium and you are under driving the car; even though you say the car is now more neutral if the alignment was more agressive you would be able to drive at a higher limit. Ie the understeeer would still be there and you might need a little oversteer on corner exit.

You need to learn how to quickly change your settings at the track. There is no compromise setting for track and street.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Before you start making radical suspension mods, you really need to take some tire temps after a hot lap...and see how your tires are performing. Like DJ said, it's hard to find a compromise between track and street, but your numbers don't look too bad.

Your toe out is a bit much for me (which helps your turn in), but I don't think that will solve all your problems. You also have quite a bit of toe in on the rear too. Definitely try reducing your toe out in front and use just a touch of toe in on the rear (1/16th). That much toe in also hurts your straight line power (scrubs speed!).

I don't know what kind of sway bar(s) you have on your car, but if it's a bone stock set up, the T1 front sway bar is cheap and easy to install and would provide you with some more push and balance the car out a bit. The endlinks are a bit clunky and will make your car ride a bit rougher, but will help it out at the track. Compromise, compromise, compromise....

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am always looking for the free lunch.
;)
After years of drag racing and screwing with cars constantly every day I find myself way to damn lazy to work on my car so I usually just try to get it generally right with little effort.
:screwy:
So adding a little more rebound to my sa penske's in the rear should help. The alignment I need to get done again and have them mark with nail polish a serious setting and then a street setting with the camber.

Thanks for the quick help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts