Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that the clearcoat on my week-old 2002 Z06 is really soft. If a take the back of my finger nail and just barely drag it across the paint, it leaves a mark. When I say "barely" I mean barely! I'm a little surprised that the clear coat is not "harder".

I first discovered this problem when someone with long finger nails ran their hands along my car (right across the hood, from headlight to headlight :flaming: ) and left very fine (but visible under a streetlight at night) scratches in the clear. This was not a malicious act, just the thoughtless act of a neighbor's curious child:-x

That's when I tried the aformentioned fingernail test myself in an inconspicuous location and was shocked at how delicate the clear coat is. Believe it or not, now the scratches are getting harder to see. Can someone clue me in as to what I should expect from the finish and if Zaino will help out?

Also, I think the car has more orange peel that it should. From certain angles the paint looks mirror smooth, but then from some angles, it looks orange peeled. Is this normal for a black car and will Zaino help this too?
Thanks,
Scott
(formerly "Keystone")

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Hmm, the clearcoat on mine was really soft when I got it, then it got much harder. Just give her time and sit her in the sun to help her harden up.

You might try the Z5 to hide the scratch marks, if they're fine enough, it will. Otherwise you'll need to polish it out.

Bout the orange peel, well, its a chevy. If you wanted no orange peel, you should have paid the extra $75k and gotten the 911TT.

Zaino will not help that. The only thing that will is a full blown re-paint by a showcar kinda painter. Maybe you could wet sand it and stuff, but you risk burning through the clearcoat.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Scott,
They will need to catch up to you to see the orange peel!!:D

Multiple coats of Z2 will shine up that Black Bitch, you will never see it!:grin: :grin: :guiness:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
All clear coats on all cars are very soft, this happened years back when they switched to a water born clear coat, all manufacturers use the same type of product, they had to to meet the environmental laws that were forced on them. This is why new car paint chips and scratches so easy, all you can do is keep it polished/waxed and use high quality towels to dry your car (leaf blowers work great as well) and cotton wash mitts will help keep the scratches down as well. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Carl,

If the clearcoat takes a month to cure or "harden" then why is it OK to apply Zaino the day you bring the vette home?

~Paul

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Paul, your clear coat will not get any harder than it is right now. :( It is as hard as it's going to get the day the car leaves the factory, well it may get a few percent harder, but not enough to notice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts