Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you are aware, we lost Joey's Dad two days before Thanksgiving. If you have lost a loved one like that you know what I mean when I say that there are good days and bad days. Well, we've been weathering those with lots of work and projects.

This morning, 4:30 a.m., I walked out in the garage. It was cold and frosty out here in the boonies on Farmer Mountain, and really, really dark! I fired up my FRC. It never ceases to amaze me how something that would, otherwise be considered an inanimate object can bring a smile on so quickly and with such a small thing like simply starting.

I sat there five minutes or so just letting it warm up and listening to 103, the oldies station doing their Beatles tribute. The rumble of the engine combined with those sweet memories of yesterday ... The parties, the more than "several" loves-of-my-life ... Finally getting out on my own with all the joys and pains that move entails ... You know, just the really cool way that music can take you to places and faces that you never thought you'd see again.

Well, I sat there letting all this flow through me, being happy at being alive. I lit a cigarette, rolled down the window, put her in reverse and went through all the contortions required to get out of there. And as I rolled down the road I felt the power surge. It felt like a longing, a powerful capability to be soaring with the eagles. And we had an uneventful ride to work, her and I. A happy space of time shared by one man and one machine.

I just had to laugh at the joy that one, "inanimate" object, a beautiful Torch Red Fixed Roof Coupe, could bring to a human being.

Just wanted to share...

Now. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Great post!

Thanks for sharing. I intend to share this with a couple of pals at work who should get a real smile from your post. I know I did.

I have had similar experiences myself.

Here's my hope there will be more good days for you than bad.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Thanks for sharing Dan!!

Great day in St. Louis!! Beautiful weather!! I'm taking my Z out for a cruise today....no place to go, I just love driving it!! :cool:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thank You

What an eloquent post. I am so glad you shared it with us. It is real easy to get stuck in a rut due to a loss but to gain a positive perspective afterwards is a wonderful feeling. I have felt the same feelings but sometimes find it hard to understand or describe them fully. This was not the case with your post, I completely went through the experience with you while reading it.

It is real easy to take things for granted. This is true about the big things like heath, family, happiness and freedom. But, it is equally true when it comes to all of the smaller things in life like that inanimate object that can give you joy, the type of happiness that comes from the proper perspective that brings a greater understanding of life and it's blessings and times of hardship.

:cheers:

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Cemo,

Thanks for your kind words. Well ... Then ... to top it off, I got to drive Frank's Silver Bullit!

:eek2: <---This is as close as I can get to:

YEEEEHAAAAAWWWW!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

A truly wonderful day!

Take care,

Saintly Uncle :sneaky: Dan

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Dan

A great post, yes I do know what you are going through, The up's and downs do get better. May they become better for you.

Thanks for sharing.....

It's easy to understand when you lose somone when they get old, but it's very hard to lose somone when they were only 6 months old...

ERnie

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Dan, sometimes you just got to make those blues go far, far, away. :)

·
Registered
803 Posts
I know what you mean. I spent this past week at Washington Hospital Center (DC) with my sig other. They did figure out what was wrong with her and fixed it. She's fine so I'm fine.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ernie King said:
Dan

A great post, yes I do know what you are going through, The up's and downs do get better. May they become better for you.

Thanks for sharing.....

It's easy to understand when you lose somone when they get old, but it's very hard to lose somone when they were only 6 months old...

ERnie
I really feel your pain Ernie... Many years ago I was a combat medic. did some intern on pediatrics ward in a military hospital.

That is, without a doubt, the toughest time I've ever had.

But you have to go on. It's tough sometimes. More than once I said, "Take me instead." It didn't work that way, but I wished it more than once.

Be strong my friend. I really believe there's a plan for all of this.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Roger Ramjet said:
I know what you mean. I spent this past week at Washington Hospital Center (DC) with my sig other. They did figure out what was wrong with her and fixed it. She's fine so I'm fine.
Roger! Congratulations... But you better get that straight. She's not your signifigant other. Joey indicates to me that women prefer to be called our Owner/Operators! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
sigung86 said:

She's not your signifigant other. Joey indicates to me that women prefer to be called our Owner/Operators! :lol: :lol: :lol:
My wife uses 'She who must be obeyed' :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts