Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at a brand spankin new 04 Z i found about 600 miles away. Im thinking it would be a bad idea to drive it from the dealership home without breaking it in first. This means 70-80 on the highway.

Any thoughts?
What did you do to break in the engine when you first bought it?

thanks

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Check owner's manual.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Follow the manual, up and down the rpm range smoothly. Then fine the nearest road couse and run two days back to back shifting at redline. I broke mine in this way driving from So. Cal. to Laguna Seca for a track event. Brought her home and dynoed at 361rwhp bone stock.

·
Registered
968 Posts
As soon as you pick it up, try to max the out the 200mph speedo! When new corvettes are tested they dont break them in, they test em to the max! :jammin:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Unless the car has 0.0 miles on the Odometer when you pick it up, it doesn't matter. Here's how you have to think about it....if the car is brand new, yet it has 5-6 miles from test drives on it, it's not really "brand new" anymore. At least as far as break in is concerned. Granted, 5-6 miles is miniscule...but what kind of miles were they? Do you think the people that test drove (but didn't buy it) followed the owners manual break-in recommendations? When you've test driven cars in the past, were YOU concerned w/ proper break in? Of course not!! You hammered it as soon as you got out of sight of the dealership. The first 10 miles of a cars life is some of the hardest it will see, simply because Tire kicking test drivers (like myself and thousands of others), put the car through it's paces before we agree to buy. Most cars cherries have been "popped" long before you're ever handed the keys to it.

So IMO, why worry about something that doesn't really matter anymore. Drive the car home just the way you intend to drive it in the future.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Try some of the back roads, vary the speed from 45 to 65. Just don't keep it at the same speed very long. Have fun, enjoy it and "save the wave"

·
Registered
39 Posts
When I bought my '03 it had 10 miles on it. I drove it reasonable for the first 5 miles or so, until I got a feel for it, then I jumped on it and never stopped. When my wife got off work she drove it, and had it up to 120 in the first 2 minutes. :lol: When we got home we popped in the video and it said: "while the Z06 doesn't need to be broken in, we suggest that you don't go WOT or do any hard braking for the first 500 miles." We looked at each other and laughed... TOO LATE! :jammin:

Even after 60K miles it still get's 30 mpg on the highway, never has burnt oil and runs 12.2's all day at the strip. So I don't think we hurt anything. :cool: Drive it like you stole it. :jammin:

·
Registered
971 Posts
It takes about 500-1,500 miles for a motor to seat properly. Take a piece of white paper, put it below the exhaust. If it gets black spots on it, your motor is not seated and has blowby. When it seats, it will run much cleaner and stronger.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ebbsnflows said:
Unless the car has 0.0 miles on the Odometer when you pick it up, it doesn't matter. Here's how you have to think about it....if the car is brand new, yet it has 5-6 miles from test drives on it, it's not really "brand new" anymore. At least as far as break in is concerned. Granted, 5-6 miles is miniscule...but what kind of miles were they? Do you think the people that test drove (but didn't buy it) followed the owners manual break-in recommendations? When you've test driven cars in the past, were YOU concerned w/ proper break in? Of course not!! You hammered it as soon as you got out of sight of the dealership. The first 10 miles of a cars life is some of the hardest it will see, simply because Tire kicking test drivers (like myself and thousands of others), put the car through it's paces before we agree to buy. Most cars cherries have been "popped" long before you're ever handed the keys to it.

So IMO, why worry about something that doesn't really matter anymore. Drive the car home just the way you intend to drive it in the future.
Amen to that :thumb:

I read the manual when I got mine, but it had about 70 miles on it when I took delivery of it, so someone must of test drove it a couple times. When I got it I stayed below 5k rpms for the first 300 or so miles, never broke hard either. Now that I have about 900 miles on it I drive it however I want. Never hit redline yet, but have come close. Mine is a toy and not a daily driver so it does not see many miles. With all this damn rain in FL and more headed our way it is not going to see many miles in the near future either. :cen:

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Why can't they break in the engine at the factory? Not just for Corvettes, but for any car, or boat, or lawnmower, etc.

It seems like they could. Especially if breaking in the engine is as critical as they claim. :bang:

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
I took it easy the first 500 miles (especially on the brakes) and only brought it up to near redline once or twice (just had to do it to feel the power). After that, drive it like you stole it. :usa: :usa: :usa:

·
Registered
968 Posts
Grim Reaper said:
It takes about 500-1,500 miles for a motor to seat properly. Take a piece of white paper, put it below the exhaust. If it gets black spots on it, your motor is not seated and has blowby. When it seats, it will run much cleaner and stronger.
Wet black spots? Any dark black spots? Thx

·
Registered
39 Posts
vant said:
Why can't they break in the engine at the factory? Not just for Corvettes, but for any car, or boat, or lawnmower, etc.

It seems like they could. Especially if breaking in the engine is as critical as they claim. :bang:
I've heard they break the engine in on the dyno at the factory, but that could be BS.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I figure the motors are ready to go from the factory. What I think they mean to take it easy for 500 miles is on the gears in the rear end. Don't want them whining on you 20k miles down the road.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts