Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Sunny Suthern California(Actually, it's raining right now:eek:), so you guys in the cold States and Canada might not be too interested in lowering your coolant temps. until Summertime.

I had my ace Coevette mechanic at Valencia Chevrolet drain the radiator of the standard 50/50 mix of water and coolant.

Replaced with:

9 quarts of distilled water
3 quartes of Dex-Cool antifreeze
16 oz. of Redline's Water Wetter
16 oz. of "Roison" Corrosion Protector

It's amazing:) I'm now running 20 degrees cooler than stock.

The LS1/LS6 is suppose to make max power at 180-185 degrees coolant temp. GM likes our engines to run hotter for better emissions.

Also, Redline's Water Wetter works better with more water in the mix. With a 50/50 mix, it drops coolant temp only 5 degrees.

I calculate my boilover at 252 degrees, and my freeze protection to 12 degrees.

Since the lowest recorded temperature in Newhall is 19 degrees(that was rare, as it seldom gets below freezing), and because my garage is well insulated and heated and seldom goes below 70 degrees, and because my Z is a Garage Queen when the weather is bad(not often here), and because I don't do any long trips during the winter months, I can't imagine having a problem.

Anyway, I thought I'd share my experience with you guys!!

:cheers:
Barrie

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMA Z06,

Thanks Bro:) I'm running a 160 now, and have the Throttle Body Hot Water Bypass. Fans come on at 199 degrees, as set by the computer. I'm rigging up a manual override so I may turn on the fans early on a real hot day or when I'm at the track.

Next step is to replace the stock radiator with a DRM unit. I'll see how my little changes work first :)

01ZEE06

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After a ride in that 480rwhp Supercharged '01 Z, I can hardly wait:D

Put a hell of a grin on my face and literally thru me back into the seat and pinned me there.

I can hardly wait:D

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Would someone PLEASE explain why we are trying to lower the coolant temp? I suspect that there is hidden power to be had. Is there a trade off? 160 degrees seems a bit low so are there any new concerns raised by this simple thermostat mod? Can someone give us a full explaination? Thanks in advance. Bill :-?

·
Registered
803 Posts
01ZEE06 said:

I had my ace Coevette mechanic at Valencia Chevrolet drain the radiator of the standard 50/50 mix of water and coolant.

Replaced with:

9 quarts of distilled water
3 quartes of Dex-Cool antifreeze
16 oz. of Redline's Water Wetter
16 oz. of "Roison" Corrosion Protector

It's amazing:) I'm now running 20 degrees cooler than stock.
I don't understand how changing the fluid lowers the temp. Did you also change the thermostat?

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Some recommend ....

.....only a 15% Coolant to Water ratio for racing.

You are at a 33% mixture, possibly 25-30% when you account for the additives. That is a good start. Better than the 50/50 factory mix.

You might also want to look at the MotorMax additive

www.firefreezemotormax.com

Tell us more about the roison corrosion protector your mechanic added.

·
Registered
803 Posts
70boss302 said:
Would someone PLEASE explain why we are trying to lower the coolant temp? I suspect that there is hidden power to be had. Is there a trade off? 160 degrees seems a bit low so are there any new concerns raised by this simple thermostat mod?
The reason to lower the engine operating temp is to increase the intake air charge density. Engine heat reduces that density. Increasing the charge density increases HP. The down side is poorer fuel mileage.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
:) Thanks Roger Ramjet. I knew someone would step up and enlighten me. I would think that there would be a better way to extract a few (what can we gain here??? Maybe 2 hp?) extra HP than run the motor at what I feel is a "cold engine" condition which I think will cause more long term problems than HP gains or performance benefits. Just applying some sidewalk mechanic logic that might not be worth a wodden nickel! :p Bill

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
Hi,

Actually its not amazing, its been a known fact for as long as I can remember. Water alone, or with water wetter will always give you a lower temp. However, not everyone in the country has the luxury to do this year round. Hell, I've had nothing but distilled water in my 10 sec Grand National since 1989. (Stored inside warehouse in the winter) I see approx 15 -18 degree drop with water alone.

Joe

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Answers.....

70boss302,

Our engines make maximum power when the cylinder heads are in the 180-185 degree range. I've seen 230 deg. stuck in traffic on a hot day with A/C on. Only trade offs with lower temps are slightly higher emissions and a little less gas mileage, but not that much. Unless you live in the Colder parts of our Country or Canada.

With my 160 thermostat, it just opens sooner than the stock 190. Same tradeoffs as above. Living in upstate New York, I don't think it would be wise to change from a 50/50 water/coolant mix, or to change your Thermostat. Exception would be Track events in hot weather.

Roger Ramjet,

One of the first things I did was to change the Thermostat to a 160. By using more water(went from a 50/50 mix to approx. 70/30 mix) you'll drop your temps. Filling your radiator with 100% water will drop your temp approx 20 degrees. HOWEVER, your boilover point will be reduced, you will freeze at 32 degrees, and you won't have the corrision protection that antifreeze offers in the short haul. Long term, antifreeze creates acid which is very harmful. That's why you should purge your system and put in new stuff at GM recommended intervals(or sooner).

Redlines "Water Wetter" will drop temp of coolant by 20 degrees when used with a 70/30 mix.

DJMworm,

Found "No-Roison" about 5 years ago in a car lover's type mail order catalog. Sounded good, as it neutralizes coolant effect of making acid as it ages. They claimed that by using their product you wouldn't need to drain and redo your coolant for 5 years. It's an Industrial Product used in Boilers and Cooling Towers.

I don't have a website, but it's made by Applied Chemical Specialities, Inc. of Omaha, NE.....(708) 797-1699

MotorMax looks interesting. Have you used it? Results? My mechanic suggested I check out "Engine Ice," saying a lot of racing teams were using the stuff. Looks interesting.....I'm still evaluating. Website: www.cyclelogic.cc/

Jayzvette,

Thank You:D

GNX Guy,

Right on Joe:guiness:

Dreamin,

GM antifreeze label chart says for boilover temperature:

% antifreeze 40% 50% 60%

at atmospheric pressure 222 226 230

with 15lb pressure cap 260 265 270

Yes, at the track, the harder you run 'em the hotter they get:)

Barrie

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DJ,

WOW, thank you for all your effort in giving us a TON of great reference material re: "Tech Tips."

You're one KEWL dude :D

Barrie

1 - 18 of 18 Posts