Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a picture of a scratch on my hood and I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion on the best way to fix it. I have tried polishing it and it helps but it doesn't go away, and although I have heard of creams that match paint color I am not so sure I want to use one of those. I have heard they only temporarily solve the problem anyways. Any good suggestions that don't involve re-painting the whole hood?!?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would try Meguiar's ScratchX. It can be bought locally at any automotive store... or in the car cleaning section of Wal-Mart, Target, etc.

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
if you can FEEL the scratch, then it's deep into the clearcoat.

you could use an orbital and go DOWN into the clearcoat, or you could have it professionally touched up.

I am sure some others will chime in, quite a few folks on here have auto paint experience.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
You can fool around with with some store bought products if you want, but you taking a chance on rubbing through the clear-coat. Find a high end detail or paint shop and let a pro wet sand and buff it out. If they bust through the clear than you have some recourse. :cheers:

·
Registered
891 Posts
That looks like a relatively light scratch. Try Scratch X first. If that does not work, then try 3M scratch and swirl remover. Finally, if the others do not work, try Adams scratch and swirl remover, which is a little more aggressive.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the suggestions. If I did take it to a paint shop would anyone have an idea how much it might cost? It would be a last resort, but just to have an idea. I will try some of the scratch removers you all suggested first. Thanks! :D

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
vettemann7 said:
Thanks for all the suggestions. If I did take it to a paint shop would anyone have an idea how much it might cost? It would be a last resort, but just to have an idea. I will try some of the scratch removers you all suggested first. Thanks! :D
20 bucks or less :cheers:

·
Registered
97 Posts
It shouldn't cost much (less than $100 for sure) to fix it. It would take a rotary and some compound, or even maybe wetsanding to fix. If you can't feel the sratch with your fingernail, some elbow grease with scratch X should solve your scratch problem.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
vettemann7 said:
Save your money on the Scratch X as it will make the situation worse. I tried it and took it back to the store for a refund! :bs: The stuff is crap and puts more scratches in the paint than you had before. Like IT L GO said, spend the $20 or more at a quality shop and get it done right. It's not a Cavalier or Neon..don't be penny foolish, or you may end up repainting the whole section and worry about a paint match situation. My 2 cents. :D

Bob

·
Registered
97 Posts
ScratchX won't hurt your paint one bit if you know what you're doing.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Try the following. I've done this with perfect results ( you can't see the scratch under and lighting conditions). Wet sand it out with 1500 and then 2000 grit paper. Then polish with medium and fine and your scratch will be gone. Just pay attenting to what your doing and use a light touch and backup the paper with a sanding pad ,and you'll be fine.

Hate to admit that I'm clumsy enough to have scratched the car but I have and this is how I fixed it.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
04Z06 said:
ScratchX won't hurt your paint one bit if you know what you're doing.
Using Scratch X on Machine Silver is different than using it on the soft, black paint they use on the Z06. Try it on someone's black Z and let me know how you do! :roll:

Bob :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hmm... well I have used ScratchX on plenty of black vehicles with no problems. Are you using a terry cloth applicator pad? I've had great success with it. You might have to follow it up with something less abrasive. You can't just remove a scratch using abrasives and not expect to create some minor swirling to clean up.

I guess you could go pay someone three times the amount to do the same thing you could do in your garage :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you can catch a nail on the scratch its pretty deep, especially when you can see down to the white primer...these are a lot more difficult to work with.....but from the looks of what you posted that would come out in 10 seconds with an orbital buffer and some cutting polish....

·
Registered
891 Posts
04Z06 said:
Hmm... well I have used ScratchX on plenty of black vehicles with no problems. Are you using a terry cloth applicator pad? I've had great success with it. You might have to follow it up with something less abrasive. You can't just remove a scratch using abrasives and not expect to create some minor swirling to clean up.

I guess you could go pay someone three times the amount to do the same thing you could do in your garage :D
I used Scratch X on my Black car and it did absolutely nothing to harm it. Scratch X is almost like lotion. There is little or no abrasive in Scratch X. It will only work on the lighest scratches.

·
Registered
340 Posts
That doesn't look bad at all.
I got this scratch out of my explorer using a porter cable 7336, poorboys super swirl remover 2.5, and SSR1 to remove swirl marks from the SSR2.5 using an agressive polishing pad.
Before

After

The scratch was fairly deep and you definitely felt it with a finger nail, but I got it down to the size of a hair. I could of got it all out, but I was getting tired and its hardly noticable now

·
Registered
292 Posts
check out www.langka.com for products that make scratch/chip repair a very simple process.

I've seen posts praising results with this product.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Bob said:
I used Scratch X on my Black car and it did absolutely nothing to harm it. Scratch X is almost like lotion. There is little or no abrasive in Scratch X. It will only work on the lighest scratches.
I agree completely,

Mines black also, Scratch X did nothing to get rid of the scratch!

augydog

1 - 20 of 27 Posts