Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm embarrassed to say, but I don't really know the correct method to gap a spark plug.

I have an unmodded 03 with the exception of long tube headers. I am installing NGK TR55 plugs. From what I have read here, the correct gap is 040 (Can someone confirm if this is true???).

The out of the box gap is much greater than 040, so I suspect I will have to decrease the gap. Do I simply tap the plug on a hard surface?

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Bullitt:

You can buy an inexpensive spark plug gap gauge (with built in tool for re-setting the gap) at any auto parts store.

Yes, you can close the gap by tapping on a hard surface, but suggest using the proper tool.

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Gap should be .055-.060"

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!

DO NOT TAP THE SPARK PLUG ON A HARD SURFACE TO CLOSE THE GAP !!!!!

Please, .....the proper way to close (or open) the gap on a spark plug is to use the spark plug electrode wrench fixture....usually found on a spark plug gapping tool.
After placing the slotted end of the tool on the plug electrode GENTLY and SLOWLY apply pressure and bend the elctrode in the appropriate direction. DO NOT HOLD or make contact with the WHITE insulator while doing this.

The white porcelin (think glass) insulator is fragile. Dropping or banging it will produce microscopic hairline cracks, which will cause electrical shorts, abehrrent current paths, loss of power and premature failure.

The 1st RULE of race mechanics is:
IF you drop a spark plug... throw it away!

IF you bang it on a hard surface the Rule applies!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts