Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if I get a flat tire what you all do in order to get it back on the road. How do yu lift this car most effectively without damaging it? What do you all do when you go on road trips, just hope and pray you dont get a flat???? A little help please. THANKS, Dr.Bigg :-?

·
21,354 Posts
Hope and pray that the "gooey" stuff and the inflator do their job, otherwise, it's time to call a wrecker.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
OH NO! You said the F-word before a trip... :eek2:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Dr.Bigg said:
I am wondering if I get a flat tire what you all do in order to get it back on the road. How do yu lift this car most effectively without damaging it? What do you all do when you go on road trips, just hope and pray you dont get a flat???? A little help please. THANKS, Dr.Bigg :-?
Well first, Go buy the sensors for your Z06 and then have them installed. Then take your car to the dealer so he can program them to work with your car. (all this is around $350-400) This way you know "before" you have a flat!! Then you go get you a good tire plugging kit. Then carry some needle nose players with you at all times. If you have a leak, you'll know before hand and can pull off the road, find the nail, extract it, and plug it, all with the wheel still on the car. Then use the small compressor that came with your Z to inflate back to normal PSI. Next, smile that you planned ahead and continue on down the road. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I carry a spare 275/40x17 on a 9.5x17 wheel, Aluminum Racing jack and
Milwaukee Cordless Impact Wrench with me on long trips away from home.

No worries.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Do a good inspection of your tires and make sure they are in good order. Get a tire plug kit and make sure your inflator and can of "goo" is functional. Make sure your AAA is up-to-date and your cell phone is in good working order. If you have a flat, call the AAA and have them send a flat bed out to pick you up.

Changing a tire on the side of the road is no bargain and can be rather dangerous depending on the location. Be prepared to wait for a replacement tire to be shipped to you since very few if any tire centers stock F1SC tires.

It is more likely that you will have a flat in your local area than it is on the open road.

If you are really concerned about a flat, I would suggest buying a second set of wheels and tires and those would be run flats.

Good luck, don't worry about having a flat and enjoy the ride.

Don

Dr.Bigg said:

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Carry vulcanizing kit, fold up lug wrench, and very low profile scissor jack, along with factory compressor. Haven't tested the setup yet, but believe it will do the deed. Maybe not pretty, but back on the road when necessary.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
There's no problem running run flats on a Z06. The car will be fine. If having a flat tire is a big concern then the only real alternative is using an extended mobility tire.

They are certainly not as good in performance, tend to ride hard and are a little noisier but there is no other reason that you can't use a run flat.

nutbush said:
Run-flats are Not a good idea on a Z06.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
2001Z06 said:
They are certainly not as good in performance, tend to ride hard and are a little noisier but there is no other reason that you can't use a run flat.
That's why they werent offered from the factory. Give up performance, ride, and decibles for a fear of a flat.....good trade off :screwy:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Zrod said:
Carry vulcanizing kit, fold up lug wrench, and very low profile scissor jack, along with factory compressor. Haven't tested the setup yet, but believe it will do the deed. Maybe not pretty, but back on the road when necessary.
This is what I carry everywhere I go. Saved my bacon several times. The only thing I would add is carry a torgue wrentch just in case you have to take the tire off. I've not warped rotors on the vet, but have on other cars by not tightening to the right specs.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Landbaron,

Good tip. Thanks I'll add that to the kit.

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
I keep a good tire plug kit in the car at all times, and when i go on a trip I take my Aluminum racing jack and a folding lug wrench, and I always keep a tool kit in the trunk. I also have a set of jacking pucks that are always in the trunk. (thanks Tom) :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Do a search on the forum for: tire pressure sensor.
You'll find some posts about it there.
Also, do a google search for the same. There are many aftermarket systems available.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the input. I dont see an inflator that came with the car. What is the can of goo???? Tire flat??? So I will carry a tire plug kit, needle nose plyers, and what kind of jack?? Where can I buy the car jack that will work for this car? I am also thinking about ordering a spare set of wheels with a spare tire on them in case I can always have the tire delivered to where ever the wrecker takes the car. It seems like a bad idea that there is no spare tire mount in the car. I know we want to shed the lbs but what about a long trip???? I would like to have a spare in the trunk. Dr.Bigg

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Dr.Bigg said:
Thanks for all the input. I dont see an inflator that came with the car. What is the can of goo???? Tire flat??? So I will carry a tire plug kit, needle nose plyers, and what kind of jack?? Where can I buy the car jack that will work for this car? I am also thinking about ordering a spare set of wheels with a spare tire on them in case I can always have the tire delivered to where ever the wrecker takes the car. It seems like a bad idea that there is no spare tire mount in the car. I know we want to shed the lbs but what about a long trip???? I would like to have a spare in the trunk. Dr.Bigg

The can of goo that came from the factory is an over-priced can of Fix-a-Flat.

As for the jack, there is obviously no factory jack for it. Many here are using light, lo-profile aluminum racing jacks. One can be had from Harbour Freight for around $100. and they go up from there. There's also these pocket jacks (don't look too safe to me but...) that are somewhat popular as well, I believe some variant of this is std eqpmt with Benz(?). :guiness:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Go to this thread.

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73712&highlight=gto+spare

On the second page of this thread there are pics. Someone found that the space saver spare on a GTO works. I dont have personal experience with this application but it might be worth a look for you.

Here is another link that address spare issues.

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76112&highlight=gto+spare

Our cars have different size wheels on front/back. The idea was to get an old rim and mount an old tire. Throw it in the trunk for long trips. Problem is/was.....dont know if a rear will fit. Then what if you have a flat on the front. Probably cant fit both spares in the trunk at the same time. But, yes it is a problem. That's why my advice was the plugging kit, plyers, and the compressor. (a small compressor/can of goo, aka fix-a-flat, was in the trunk when your z was new) Cheap, and sometimes affective. There is always those times when the sidewall is messed up, and or you cant find the nail, or its glass and a slice. A flatbed is your only option then. Good luck, as we all have this problem.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks. Is there a jack that is real small that can fitright in the trunk and not be noticed that can get the job done???? The way I see it now is , tire plug kit, needle nose plyers and fix-a-flat. You must have a jack tolift the car to plug the tire though. I am just wondering if anyone with personal experience can tell me what one to buy. Thanks for all the help. Dr.Bigg

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I have AAA... I've never worried about it. My clutch broke (new one!!!) on the highway on Sunday afternoon cruising with buddies. I had to have it flat bedded to the dealer (where it now sits awaiting teardown). I just told AAA that I had a lowered Corvette and needed a flatbed and requested the driver bring boards. They said no problem.

The driver knew his stuff and the two of us working in tandem with the boards got the car up w/o a scratch. He hooded the winch w/ two hooks to the front control arms and slowly guided the car on up.

My car is lowered to the max on the stock hardware and made it just fine, any lower and it would have been harder. Taking it off my exhuast came about 1/4" from the ground, but all was well.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts