Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I parked my car at night next to my patio that has a couple of yellow "bug" flood lights installed. Under that lighting color, the clear/paint reflected differently and showed all kinds of swirls and light scratching all over the body.

I put the car in the garage, closed the door and inspected the finish front to back with a bug light installed in a portable light holder. I don't know if other paint colors will reflect the same as the Lemans blue, but I could see all kinds of stuff. Even dust reflected differently and was more visible.

None of this shows up in the daylight. As a matter of fact, in the daytime the finish is very high gloss. The gloss seems to hide everything.

I took the car back to my dealer who had buffed it before delivering it. I took my one on the yellow bug lights (installed in a portable light holder) and showed them the problem. The consensus was that all cars have swirls.

Fortunately I have a Dealer work order that states: "all scratches to be removed" prior to delivery. Stay tuned....

·
Registered
788 Posts
Any flourescent light will do this. I have a large flourescent in my garage. When I dry off my car and wax it, you will take more care, as you see more "micro=swirls" than in daylight. I actually do believe that all cars have this under flourescent lighting. I'll bet if you put a factory brand new car (untouched) under flourescent, it will show many imperfections.

·
Registered
692 Posts
i guess all cars do have swirls.it seems to me that if you throw your bug lights in the trash can you would be happier.i can only imagine what the guys at the dealer were saying after you left with your portable bug light.hope they get it fixed for you.

·
Registered
59 Posts
gasboy said:
i guess all cars do have swirls....
:puke: on that statement!!!

All cars that have swirls are simply victims of improper wash/drying/buffing technique. 99% of cars that leave dealer lots will have swirls because of this poor process. The guy that just cleaned your $50K Z is making $10 per car and is using the same nasty equipment on every single car he "cleans".

Swirls can be removed. All it takes is some patience, the right compounds/polishes and the right buffer for the job. The clearcoat GM uses on the Vette is VERY HARD and requires lots of time to polish correctly. I use two 500 watt halogens to show defects when polishing a vehicle...much like your bug lights...they do show every last problem for sure.

Here is a pic of a Z-16 that I polished. Granted it is in natural light but you can see that there are no defects...

·
Registered
891 Posts
1 Clean Z06 said:

All cars that have swirls are simply victims of improper wash/drying/buffing technique. 99% of cars that leave dealer lots will have swirls because of this poor process. The guy that just cleaned your $50K Z is making $10 per car and is using the same nasty equipment on every single car he "cleans".

Swirls can be removed. All it takes is some patience, the right compounds/polishes and the right buffer for the job. The clearcoat GM uses on the Vette is VERY HARD and requires lots of time to polish correctly. I use two 500 watt halogens to show defects when polishing a vehicle...much like your bug lights...they do show every last problem for sure.

Here is a pic of a Z-16 that I polished. Granted it is in natural light but you can see that there are no defects...

I see that you are a detailer. What would you recommend for removing a few slight scratches swirls? After the scratches are removed, what would you use for polish?

·
Z06 WinterFest Coordinator
2,865 Posts
When do you people find time to actually DRIVE your show pieces??
It's not a piece of Art, it's a car!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken

·
Registered
902 Posts
1 Clean Z06 said:

While you are correct that you can remove swirls, driving thr car will produce new ones.

Sabot

·
Registered
968 Posts
A nice sports car is a piece of art! Its sick how some people keep a nice car up as well as a nice home. Says alot about someone!! :yeadog:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
bobby778 said:
A nice sports car is a piece of art! Its sick how some people keep a nice car up as well as a nice home. Says alot about someone!! :yeadog:
I couldn't agree more :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sabot said:
While you are correct that you can remove swirls, driving thr car will produce new ones.

Sabot
...and proper washing and polishing will prevent and/or remove them once again. There is absolutely nothing wrong with driving the rims off your Z...I see something wrong with not caring for it. :z:

Bob for light polishing by hand I would recommend Meguiar's #9. For spot scratch removal by hand I would recommend Meguiar's Scratch X. For swirl removal by machine the list is large...either Meg's #80, #82 or #83...or Menzerna Intensive Polish and Final Polish...or the Poorboy's SSR line. For a glaze after the swirls are removed I would highly recommend ClearKote's Vanilla Moose. It leaves a very deep and wet "glow" and is perfectly compatible with just about every last step product out there.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I'm very anal about the paint on my car but also realize you can't keep it perfect forever. The paint always looks better in sun light than in your garage looking at it on an angle. Any contact to the clear coat makes minor scratches, like using a car cover or just touching the car with your fingers. My advice is not to look at the car's paint this way.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Resist said:
My advice is not to look at the car's paint this way.
Well...I do...for a living. You'd be surprised how well you can keep your paint looking with the right products and process. :cheers:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I recently purchased an 01 black Z06 and it is swirled up big time. I wasn't too concerned when I bought it because I thought I could polish them out. I tried to polish it with the poorboys SSR 2.5 and a PC buffer. I didn't do anything but dull the finish, the swirls are still there.

I feel like I either need professional help or get it repainted.

·
Registered
59 Posts
McShane said:
I feel like I either need professional help or get it repainted.

You need a pro to buff your car...no need for a repaint. SSR2.5 is a fairly aggressive polish and depending on what type of pad you used it could have increased its already stout cutting ability. All you need is a few more passes with the SSR2.5 to remove the swirls...then the paint needs to be buffed with a lighter polish (like SSR1) to remove the buffer hazing left by the 2.5. Appy a glaze...then a sealant or wax (or both) and voila...mirror reflective and dripping wet looking paint. :cool:

Do some research in your area and find a reputable detailer (either fixed or mobile). If he is good the job won't be cheap or take just an hour to do (figure between $250-$350 and about 6-8 hours) but the car will look near new when he is done. :guiness:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
1 Clean Z06, what polish do you put on your car or a customers car? :cheers:

·
Registered
125 Posts
If only there were detailers like that around here.

I will gladly pay the money to have someone professionally detail my car like that. But the problem is, I trust no one. Now if the guy had his own Vette he worked on and it looked like that, I will be there in a heart beat!

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Vrrooom said:

I will gladly pay the money to have someone professionally detail my car like that. But the problem is, I trust no one. Now if the guy had his own Vette he worked on and it looked like that, I will be there in a heart beat!
I feel the same way here. Guess I'll check into it. My poor ole' Z needs someone like 1 Clean Z06 to give it the once over...big time. :yeadog:

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
Vrrooom said:

Let's see, a road trip to Marietta GA perhaps ????? Hmmmm...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great advice 1 Clean Z06. To properly removed swirls you need to know what you are doing. Using the wrong product or technique can really mess things up.

I am not a fulltime professional detailer, but I have taken some professional training from Meguiars and do detailing as a small side job to earn extra money (most goes to the vette). When I retire in a few years, I plan to continue detailing, doing a few jobs here and there.....because I love doing it. It is very rewarding. I love it when the customer see's there car and the first words out of there mouth is WOW.

-Bob

1 - 20 of 24 Posts