Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my cartek stuff isn't doing as well on ebay as i had hoped. i've got 7hrs or so left on my auction and i'm not even close to HALF of what i have into in. i know you should expect 50% or so on used stuff, but this stuff is brand new, so i had hoped for a better showing.

anyway that leaves me in a predicament, do i sell it anyway and take the loss and buy what i need to put the Z back to stock, or should i put the stuff on the Z and sell it as a modified car?

it doesn't look like selling a modded Z is much better at recovering your money than selling an unmodded one, but i thought i'd ask anyway.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Return the car to stock and sell the mods a la carte. I think you'll come out ahead. JMO. Best of luck to you. :guiness:

·
Registered
878 Posts
stock should be easier to sell-be patient if you can ..there are those buyers who would rather buy modded than spend , to do it themselves..maybe a prior Z owner who wants another one-with the mods already done... :usa:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
You don't mod a car to make it worth more that's for sure. You can only expect pennies on the dollar in terms of value of your mods when you decided to sell it. Then you have match it with a buyer that is interested in the mods that you have.

Typically, you just have to eat the cost of the mods. Returning it back to stock doesn't do much either. You have to pay for the labor or spend hours returning it to stock then the mod parts are only going to get you pennies on the dollar when you try to sell them used.

Your best bet is to enjoy it while you have it and list it for sale. Then wait for some one to come along that is interested in a car like yours and is willing to pay a little more for the mods. Otherwise just suck it up and sell it for what you can get out of it. Hopefully you are in the "have to sell" position. If you are then you will be taking it on the chin.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Rule one. Give it enough marketing time. You have not.
Rule two. Market to right audience, in the right venues.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I am not surprised that you are having a difficult time selling your modded car. This may shock you a bit, but the modifications you have made to your car actually make it less valuable than if you had done nothing to it, in the used-car market.

Here is why. Most late-model used-car buyers must finance their purchase. They generally want to finance as much of the car purchase as possible, since they are usually not in a position to make a large down payment.

The loan value of a car is based upon the factory installed options, condition, mileage, etc. The "blue book" is the Bible with respect to loan valuation. I have a partition, tinted windows, and a Blackwing air cleaner in my Corvette. If I mentioned this to a dealer, or banker as a way of indicating that it had more value than what the blue book said the value of my car was, he would say the following, "if it isn't in the blue book, it doesn't have any loan value, thus it is worth nothing".

Your only hope of recovering the the cost of your modifications is to find a wealthy late-model used-car buyer who can take the money out of his pocket to pay for these modifications, since no bank will lend you money for the purchase of these options.

If you recall I said that the modifications actually make your car less valuable. This is because some modifications will void certain aspects of your warranty.

How do I know all this? I used to own a Honda, Nissan and Isuzu car dealership. If you brought that car into my dealership as a trade-in, I would say the following to you, "the trade-in that I can offer you on your Corvette would probably embarrass you, so I suggest you sell it yourself". That is a gentle way to say, "you fucked up by modifying that car, and now you're going to have to eat those costs".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts