Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I just got my '03 Z06, and it's my first black car. I washed it today, and many of the bug splats didn't come out completely from the front bumper. It shows much easier than on my previous car. Also, after wiping the wax off I can still see buff marks on the car when it's in direct sunlight. Can anyone give me suggestions on how to clean the car, and wax it. I use NXT. Here are some pics of mine an FusionZ06's. Please give me tips on washing black!!

Sorry about the size.

Here is a link to more

·
Registered
882 Posts
Welcome to the world of the fastest Z06 - Black! :jammin:

Try "The Wax Shop - Super Glaze" -- it is a non-abrasive WAX that will not swirl. Just use a bit on a MICRO FIBER towel and lightly remove the offending remains. :D

You can also use a bug remover as long as it is petroleum based. Just touch up after with NXT. :p

I know that Liquid Glass works but it is a polish and will swirl your paint. :mad:

Continue the NXT but wash, wax and dry with microfiber only! Cotton will swirl that black finish. :thumb:

·
Registered
329 Posts
I use Mequires Quick detailer to get the bug splats etc. off every time I drive the car I think the secret is to not let them stay on too long. I use NXT also & love it! Hope this helps. :cheers:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Paint it white! Just kidding. I also have a black Z & it is very tough to keep it looking nice. There are a billion different ways of waxing & washing your car (techniques, products, intervals) but this is what I personally do as I am also still learning. (my 1st. black car also)
As far as waxing I use NXT, a lot of people on here use zaino which I've never tried. To get rid of the swirls you can try a swirl remover (meguiars) or what I do is after I complete my waxing I move the car outside in the sun & look it over & hit any swirls with a clean cloth or some swirl remover until you can't find any more. A lot of times for me it's just wax residue that I didn't get off. As far as washing I use meguiars 00 wash soap as it does not strip the wax I busted my azz putting on. I always use a separate mitt around my wheelwells, behind the wheels etc.. & then use a corvette only mitt for the rest of the car. After washing I take the nozzle off the hose & run water over the car as this will cause most of the water to run off the car then go over it with an absorbent cloth followed by a microfiber towel so theres no lint left. My water here is like acid so you don't wan't it on the car any longer than necessary. This is one of about a billion ways of cleaning a car. One thing I 've found with any dark color is the best way to keep faint scratches out is to keep wax on it & don't let it get "filthy" as it is tough to get large amounts of dirt off without rubbing it into the paint & scratching it. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Almost forgot to mention another Meguires product -- Show Car Glaze #7. Like lotion for the paint. Fills in the swirls and will give you that "glass" shine. With washes its effects will diminish of course. :coo:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I agree, use microfiber only.

What I would do is: clay the car, use some sort of paint cleansing liquid (pre-wax stuff) - then, clean every panel thoroughly using a microfiber towel and a good detailing spray -- trust me, microfiber towels are your best friend. Done correctly, the last step should leave your paint very clean - this includes removing any bug stuff your paint had before. Then, apply the wax of your choice.

Note: Check your microfiber towel OFTEN to make sure it's 100% clean.

I always see a difference when I get done with these steps.

Enjoy the ride,
Alex

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
let your husband clay bar it!! :sneaky:

·
Registered
720 Posts
DEFINITELY Clay the car to remove all of that stuff you cant even see! I use the Meguiars Clay bar kit and it worked wonders on my paint. I use the Mr. Clean autowash for cleaning and NXT for waxing! I keep LOTS of Microfiber towels in my garage!

Enjoy the car! Keeping black clean is a nightmare (See :mah: )but it looks oh-soo-good when it is!! :yeadog:

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
I babied my vette the first year I had it-it was IMPOSSIBLE to get the tiny swirl marks away, so I gave up this year haha!

Unfortunately GM didn't put the best quality paint on the Z06's

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Soap & Water! ;)

Clay bar the entire car, then multiple coats of wax. The fight with the bug spots is a never ending battle. Good luck. :cheers:

·
Registered
14 Posts
For the wax swirls that remain after you buff the car off, use a mist of water from a spray bottle and buff the surface again that shows the swirls. If it is indeed wax residue, then this will remove it, it it is a true swirl mark, obviously it won't do anything.
Good luck with the black. That is one of the reasons I sold my 2003 Cobra...because it was black. Red is so much easier to care for.
Also their was a comment about the quality of the Corvette's paint...let me say that the paint on these cars is sooooo much better than my 03 Cobra, it's unbelievable. While it is not perfect, it is way better.

Mark

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Thats interesting. The quality of the paint on my Infiniti FX is leaps and bounds over my Z06.

Mine is black as well, I zaino it fairly often, and these days in the rainy season, I wipe it off and then cover it every night. I will be changing the pads and rotors soon, so hopefully the wheels will look nice for more than two hard stops. :)

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
musclesbmf said:
For the wax swirls that remain after you buff the car off, use a mist of water from a spray bottle and buff the surface again that shows the swirls. Mark
Or totally rinse and dry again after waxing. You will see the difference. Gotta love Black. It is a labor of love :thumb: My Black Z06

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
musclesbmf said:
Also their was a comment about the quality of the Corvette's paint...let me say that the paint on these cars is sooooo much better than my 03 Cobra, it's unbelievable. While it is not perfect, it is way better.

Mark
I agree, the paint on my Cobra was crap. I had to have the hood repainted at 20k miles cause of rock chips. I'll do a full claybar, wash, and wax this sat. I'll post pics. Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Go to Zaino's web site. He has lots of tips and tricks :z:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Give it a new paintjob every 5 years. That will be my first "mod" when I get it paid off. All the rock chips and other damage mine has picked up over the years is just painful to look at. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
As for my input on cleaning, I use my duster twice a day along with quick detailer...it seem to help alot on keeping it looking really good. Just started using NTX and noticed a reduction in the swirls right away.

I've got what looks like pale white spots or haze all over the nose of my Z. I've tried paint cleaner, scratch and swirl remover, claying, extensive waxing with little or no improvement.
I just picked up some Nu Finish Scratch Doctor recommended by a guy I met at a car show..his 63 split window was fine I might add.

Has anyone had this problem or used the Nu Finish product?

BTW...I found a 18 pack of Micro Fiber towels at Sams Club for $9. They are the way to go without a doubt. :D

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
:thumb: :thumb:
Disclaimer: All item's and techniques listed below are my own and may not work for you. It's just how I've been doing things for over 40 years. Damn, has it been that long. Man, that's alot of water down the drain.

I have had black/dark cars for years. I love the reflection they provide and no other paint gives that WOW look when they are detailed correctly. I know we have guys that love white cars but for me it's dark. Even in Florida.

Now we want to clean the thing. When it has even a small amount of dirt, etc. it can scratch the finish if washed off without proper care. Most guys will just hose it down to get it wet and knock off some of the dust/dirt. Then take out the soapy mitt and wash her down. If that surface isn't clean when you start washing then you will drive any debris into the finish and scratch it. I hose the car off giving it a once over then use my hand and a small amount of water from the hose and wipe it down with my hand. Almost all of the dirt is removed before you even start to wash it. Now your car wash soap can do a good job. Your wash mitt will look as clean when you finish as it did when you started. I used this method on a Black 96 Suburban I owned for years and it still looked like new when I sold it. Washing that baby was really a labor of love and took about an hour to complete. My Coupe will be five years old next month and looks like it just rolled off the line. 24K miles and looks better than new.

D.J.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Try using very warm water in your wash bucket. It will help take off more of the bugs/tar without much effort. It also helps with the tires/rims. Just like washing dishes!

Since wash soap is also a lubricant, I put some directly on my wet wash mitt and it glides over the paint. I have several wash mitts and change to a wet,clean one every few minutes to avoid wasting time rinsing and also to reduce the chances of a scratch from dirt already removed from the car. My wash bucket water is always clean.

I also use soft water from my home system and RainX self-drying auto wash soap to reduce water spots by about 95%.

Always use microfiber because every time you touch your ride, there's a chance for a scratch, especially for the dark colors. I'm going to try using microfiber cloths to wash the car instead of wash mitts.

I keep my ride covered in the garage and dust it regularly. I've found Turtlewax Ultra Detailer to work very well. I'm using Meguiar's Quick Detailer now. Turtlewax seems to have more lubricants.

I also use Gel-Gloss on the windows to create a smooth ultra-slick surface so I don't have to use my wipers much. It's applied like a polish and works well on chrome. It a very gentle abrasive made to clean/shine/seal fiberglass and other material.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts