Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
My guess is that qtr mile times will be too close to call.
The Viper still has a bit more torque.
Viper brakes are strong.
Viper handling is the weakest spot. It takes a pro to milk out the best in it, even at that the new Z should handle it by a good margin on a road course. The Z will also be far more comfortable. The Z will still be a driver quality car. The Viper is a weekend fun toy IMO.
Thinkin the Viper will still have better resale value at the end of the day. Lower production.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was curious as I got to drive a 2005 RT yesterday. Stout acceleration, great brakes, sweet looks, exclusivity, and its open air motoring to the 10th power. That being said the ride was pretty harsh, no storage of any kind for a weekender, a lot of heat in the cabin from the side exhaust, and no nanny helpers in the form of traction/yaw control, side air bags, and no cruise. I guess they really hold true to the theme "for the pure driving enthusiast"...... This thing was a true beast in all manor/form....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Package said:
I was curious as I got to drive a 2005 RT yesterday. Stout acceleration, great brakes, sweet looks, exclusivity, and its open air motoring to the 10th power. That being said the ride was pretty harsh, no storage of any kind for a weekender, a lot of heat in the cabin from the side exhaust, and no nanny helpers in the form of traction/yaw control, side air bags, and no cruise. I guess they really hold true to the theme "for the pure driving enthusiast"...... This thing was a true beast in all manor/form....
When the c6 z06 was developed, the one top priority was to kick the viper in every performance aspect.. lutz and hill have it in for dodge... GM had the 2 white mules and an RT viper at the millen proving grounds.. I can promise u one thing.. the c6 z06 will trounce the viper in "every" performance category because: that was obviously their intent! So the z06 is a truer beast in all manor/form, with or without nanny helpers :sneaky:

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
CorvetteZ06 said:
When the c6 z06 was developed, the one top priority was to kick the viper in every performance aspect.. lutz and hill have it in for dodge... GM had the 2 white mules and an RT viper at the millen proving grounds.. I can promise u one thing.. the c6 z06 will trounce the viper in "every" performance category because: that was obviously their intent! So the z06 is a truer beast in all manor/form, with or without nanny helpers :sneaky:
Agreed!

The Z06 has just as much hp, much better Aerodynamics, better gears, higher redline, and is 200 lb lighter.

imo, the Viper doesn't stand a chance.. :guiness:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
And there is about a $20k diff in stickers. Total no-brainer especially in the court of public opinion in and around this forum. :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
CorvetteZ06 said:
I think "trounce" might be a bit strong. No one knows the real world performance capabilties yet of the new Z, just the paper specs. The new Z should be the better performer (after 13 years of domination) but it surely won't be trouncing the SRT/10. I'll bet in the quarter it will be a drivers race, that close. Road race should certainly go to the Z, but that remains to be seen.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
PDCjonny said:
I think "trounce" might be a bit strong. No one knows the real world performance capabilties yet of the new Z, just the paper specs. The new Z should be the better performer (after 13 years of domination) but it surely won't be trouncing the SRT/10. I'll bet in the quarter it will be a drivers race, that close. Road race should certainly go to the Z, but that remains to be seen.
It will be a drivers race, as is anything else. An SRT-10 and a C5 Z06 is a drivers race in the 1/4, yet, given equal drivers, the SRT would win everytime. Same is going to yield for the C6 Z06 and SRT. Equal drivers = Z wins. Not to metnion the C6 Z is going to be much more comfortable than the SRT, get better mpg, and is will be ~20K cheaper than the new srt!

Pay more to get less is definitely not my philosophy. ;)

·
Registered
296 Posts
CHRIS CARMICHAEL said:
In cycling, we use a measure called power-to-weight-ratio to compare the climbing strength of one rider against another. Lance's chief rival, Jan Ullrich, can generate more power, in watts, than Lance can because he is significantly bigger than Lance. However, when you divide their sustainable power outputs by their respective weights, you see that Lance can produce more power, per pound of body weight, than Ullrich can.
Armstrong = Z06, Ullrich = Viper

Tour de France Wins: Armstrong = 6, Ullrich = 0. You get the drift. :ity:

·
Registered
882 Posts
Just like the Viper Look -- very serious. :sneaky:

A friend just got rid of his C5 for a Viper and it is a very nice machine. :yeadog:

The only short fall is the C6Z06 styling. My opinion. ;)

If GM doesn't correct it, going for a Viper next year. :eek:

·
Registered
221 Posts
How many threads about this do we really need? It is getting to be as bad as the price threads.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Z06Lover said:
How many threads about this do we really need? It is getting to be as bad as the price threads.
^^I agree.

Performance will be close. As far as buying- viper guys will always be viper guys and the same goes for vette guys.

As far as comments about performance: I don't think price and performance are going to decide what car people will buy. I have friends who like Porsches and they wouldn't buy a Z - not even if the Z was 3.0 seconds quicker in the 1/4. If they don't like Corvettes, you can't talk them into one.

Buy what you want and enjoy it. Don't buy a car because you think it will make you the fastest car on the street. That will never be the case.

Alex :guiness:

·
Registered
609 Posts
C6 *z06*

This Is For Are Team :usa: The Z06 Is Like Playing a Violin ;) To a Base Drome . Its Not Gust the Viper :sneaky: But Most Sports Cars . Its the Cadillac :usa:

·
Registered
73 Posts
PDCjonny said:
You are correct, Trounce was pushing it :blush: , I should say that GM bought a viper and brought it to the millen proven grounds, ( BOB LUTZ) to run with the pre production z06.. so do u think that they would release a 505 hp z06 that would lose in any race aspect to the SRT/10. It just won't happen.. not trying to be cocky here, that was obviously chevy's intent...

·
Registered
258 Posts
I think I will have to vote with the group saying it will be basically a driver quality issue between the Viper and the C6 Z06. Personally, I absolutely HATE convertibles and have no understanding of why anyone would ever want one. However, it appears I am in the minority - that is life. However, if I am going to spend 90+ for a car, I would sort of like one that I can ride in with just a little comfort at least. I have never heard anything good about the driving experience of the Viper except for the mongo torgue. At least this year, they have some brakes that work. They have a unique look and are rare, but so are Edsels. (by the way, I have no ax to grind with MOPARS, I raced them for years)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have no doubt the new Z will be a marginally better performer than the current Viper, but I also think Dodge will up the ante in two years. Then we'll be right back to the same arguments. I traded a new '04 Z06 for a '98 GTS and never regretted it. I like the raw power, head turning unique looks and the exclusivity. To each his own. I like a car that looks different and the new Vette isn't it. How many new Z buyers are actually EVER going to test the cars limts of performance? Maybe 5% of buyers if that. I agree with Old Red, I hate convertibles. Maybe a handfull of days a year they are perfect, the others it's either too cold or your roasting. I hate being stopped in traffic with the merciless sun beating down on you.
Had they redesigned the new Z with a look that really made it stand apart from any old Vette I would probably be very interested in one. I wish they had at least left the notch back roofline.

·
Registered
296 Posts
OCMike said:
I thought Lance was a Subaru guy... :puke:
Man, you are as dense as a mule. :screwy:

What does Lance's Suburu endorsement have anything to do with my analogy. You are obviously not familar with th rivalry between Lance and Jan Ullrich.

Correction: Ullrich has one win at the famed Tour de France vs. Lance's 6.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts