Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father and I came up with an idea the other day. I'm looking to get a switch that will disable all lights on the rear of the car...for the purpose of a movie i'm looking to make.

I would want a small switch in the car that upon activation would kill the plate and rear lights. And possibly kill the side markers. Pretty much anything other than the headlights.

Is this doable? What would be the best way to go about this?

FYI: I've never run from the cops in my life. If you have something negative to say about this idea keep it to yourself. I'm looking to do this on the all black Z we'll be getting in December.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Longhorn Z06 said:
The easiest way would be to run all the grounds for those lights through a switch.
The Emergency flashers/ABS/TC use a ground circuit thru the brake light bulbs. It puts 5-volts thru them when the engine is running and the brakes are off. If you cut the ground it will disable those systems and could burn out the EBCM.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestion.

Is there any other way that wouldn't damage anything?

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
You can disable *all* the external lights by not using the running lamps and pulling the fuse for the DRLs. Then, your only problem would be turn signals and brake lights. You can avoid the turn signal problem by not using the turn signals, so your only problem would be brake lights.

Since you don't intend to break the law, you must not be planning on running this project on public streets. If so, you could address the brake light problem by pulling the fuse for that circuit.

Going to the trouble of modifying the wiring to do what you want to do seems extreme for a photo shoot. Adding a switch is a more permanent change, that would only be worth it if you intended to do this all the time. You don't intend that, though, do you?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have to say that back in the day when I was a street badboy I could do that on my 68 Chevelle. One night when going a little, no a lot too fast, and the wrong person started to catch up. Well lets just say I fliped the switch and put the petal to the metal. Warp drive saved me. Of course
I would (and I really mean it) not do something as stupid again. It just isn't worth the risk, penalty, or danger. You just just triggered an old story from the olden days. You could run a hardwire switch to the tail lights, but keep something in mind. Set it up so that you have to defeat the tail lights everytime you start the car. You don't want to turn them off and forget about it, or ever be in doubt as to whether they are on or off.
Keep the switch low key as I have doubts as to it's legality. Good luck.

·
Registered
629 Posts
proexpert said:
Why not just remove the bulbs? No bulb, no light.
No Doubt said:
This man is a genius. :idea: A genius I tell you! :jammin:
You're hired. ;)
I wouldn't get too excited just yet...
FRISKY said:
The Emergency flashers/ABS/TC use a ground circuit thru the brake light bulbs.
No bulbs, no ground, no workie.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
In the connector industry, it's called a 'terminator', just like the CAGS defeat. Something to terminate the circuit so the system is loaded properly but without the light.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
robiferretti said:
bring it to technik 1 and let them do it.
you sure they would do this?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts