Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I participated in a BMW DE at Summit Point last weekend that also featured a club race. I was placed in an advanced run group, including some race cars. Since I was new to the club I needed to get signed off by two separate instructors. My instructors were very encouraging and told me that I was a good driver. Both instructors were impressed with the braking power (I was running Carbotech XP9s in front and XP8s in the rear). After completing the first two sessions, I was signed off to go solo.

It was a hot day, but the car felt good. I was driving smoothly and I had a good rhythm going. The only problem was that every time I looked in my mirror, I had all of these BMW on my tail itching to pass me. I was much faster than them on the straights, but I could not keep ahead in the turns. I gave up and found myself giving the pass signal more times that I would like! :eek::

These guys were excellent drivers and I actually found myself feeling intimidated by being on the same track with them. The lesson I learned is that having a fast car is only one part of being fast. A slower car with a better driver can still win. I need to continue to work on my skills, especially getting on the gas harder and earlier when exiting a corner. I believe that this is where these drivers were so much faster than me.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Still in all sounds like you had a BLAST :thumb: :thumb:

·
Premium Member
20,626 Posts
Don't be discouraged Bob. It will only be a matter of time. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Bob said:
I participated in a BMW DE at Summit Point last weekend that also featured a club race. I was placed in an advanced run group, including some race cars. Since I was new to the club I needed to get signed off by two separate instructors. My instructors were very encouraging and told me that I was a good driver. Both instructors were impressed with the braking power (I was running Carbotech XP9s in front and XP8s in the rear). After completing the first two sessions, I was signed off to go solo.

It was a hot day, but the car felt good. I was driving smoothly and I had a good rhythm going. The only problem was that every time I looked in my mirror, I had all of these BMW on my tail itching to pass me. I was much faster than them on the straights, but I could not keep ahead in the turns. I gave up and found myself giving the pass signal more times that I would like! :eek::

These guys were excellent drivers and I actually found myself feeling intimidated by being on the same track with them. The lesson I learned is that having a fast car is only one part of being fast. A slower car with a better driver can still win. I need to continue to work on my skills, especially getting on the gas harder and earlier when exiting a corner. I believe that this is where these drivers were so much faster than me.
Same thing happened to me at Pocono this weekend. On the straights, hardly a car that would even come close...in fact, I'd leave them in my wake. But in the turns...different story. It had nothing to do with my car per say, as eveidenced by the fact that Dr. Ron, with an essentially stock Z, was killing everyone in the turns. He is an exceptional driver, and he had an instrutor who recognized this and pushed him to push the car. It did have more to do with my "comfort level" with respect to my own driving ability with this car. My instructor recognized this and told me to just "let them pass" when it was safe, and I did, and didn't feel the least bit embarassed. :NoNo: I still have a whole lot to learn about the limits of this car and to improve my ability in driving it. :yeadog:

Remember...DE events are not for racing...they are for improving your own driving skills. :thumb:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Don Benson said:
Same thing happened to me at Pocono this weekend. On the straights, hardly a car that would even come close...in fact, I'd leave them in my wake. But in the turns...different story. It had nothing to do with my car per say, as eveidenced by the fact that Dr. Ron, with an essentially stock Z, was killing everyone in the turns. He is an exceptional driver, and he had an instrutor who recognized this and pushed him to push the car. It did have more to do with my "comfort level" with respect to my own driving ability with this car. My instructor recognized this and told me to just "let them pass" when it was safe, and I did, and didn't feel the least bit embarassed. :NoNo: I still have a whole lot to learn about the limits of this car and to improve my ability in driving it. :yeadog:

Remember...DE events are not for racing...they are for improving your own driving skills. :thumb:
Don - I just did the AMG Challenge at Lime Rock last Monday. It was not the advanced class, so there was no "racing", but your point is well taken. It took me a number of laps with an instructor to really feel comfortable throwing a 4,400 lbs car into Turn 1 at 80 mph. Not used to tires screaming like that. So until I finally started to believe that the car was not going to go flying off the road, I was being asked to let cars by down the straight.

The guys chasing you into the corners did not drive like that after one or two DE's. I guarantee that.

·
Banned
809 Posts
Bob said:

I'm so glad to hear that you waved them by. I HATE it when someone holds me up in the corners and then wants to drag race me on the straights.

I think that you would've had more fun in the slower group. It's better to pass cars than to be passed all the time.

Sal

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
ONE of those embarrassing Bimmers wasn't driven by Roy Hopkins, was it? Perennial One Lap Top 10 finisher...and one awesome wheelman...

·
Registered
971 Posts
There are some guys out there have doing this for a long time. Like thirty to fourty years. Beware of those innocent looking grandfather types who just smile at you.

Also, it is bad sign, when they show to track with a
1) Carbon fiber car, 1,400-2,900 lbs.. Say between 100k-250k
2) Front spliter and rear wing the size of plywood.
3) 11-17" wide rear Goodyear slicks
4) A tractor plus trailer rig.
5) A motor home or bus
6) Extra's, like motor's, rims that say BBS, OZ, etc.
7) A pit crew.
8) Flames shooting out the exhaust

All really bad signs, that you about to have your tail handed to you...let them pass unless you are great driver with a prepped car. The reason I say this, is that there are number people like this in the Northern Calif. Porsche and Ferrari clubs.

Most can be beaten, but some come prepared for a war.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Bob said:

Bob, were you in the black Z06? I spoke to you and Garrett...

I was in the club race (1st one)... man... what a rush! I miss the torque my C5 had.. but man.. it was fun. Here is a short video clip of me driivng behind someone when they got "nudged" by someone else...

http://mysite.verizon.net/ftp_user/racehit2.mov

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Don't feel too bad, your skills will improve with more track time. When I participated in the DE at Nashville Speedway during the Z06 Fest, I got to go out with my instructor :) in his "race prepared" BMW 325I. Complete with roll cage, 5 point harnesses, suspension mods and track tires. Granted, he did not blow anyone away in the straights (only did 120-125 mph) but he definitely "shined" thru the twisties. Any one that passed him on the straights , well, he was right on their a$$ in the turns (at this DE you could only pass on the straights). I loved the way he threw that car around like a little toy (drifting and sliding thru the turns). He told me that he has been racing for about 10 years at that time. Experience...experience.... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
magnetic1 said:
Bob, were you in the black Z06? I spoke to you and Garrett...

I was in the club race (1st one)... man... what a rush! I miss the torque my C5 had.. but man.. it was fun. Here is a short video clip of me driivng behind someone when they got "nudged" by someone else...

http://mysite.verizon.net/ftp_user/racehit2.mov
Eric, were you one of the guys running practice laps in my run group?

That was me in the black ZO6 with the CCWs and Nitto RA1s. It was the first club race that I have ever attended. I was very impressed by the whole scene. The BMW people put on a good event. I was the first group on the track after the race on Sunday. It was like driving on ball bearings. All the flying rubber in my wheel wells and the slick conditions made it very difficult for me to maintain any speed in the corners.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Grim Reaper said:
There are some guys out there have doing this for a long time. Like thirty to fourty years. Beware of those innocent looking grandfather types who just smile at you.

Also, it is bad sign, when they show to track with a
1) Carbon fiber car, 1,400-2,900 lbs.. Say between 100k-250k
2) Front spliter and rear wing the size of plywood.
3) 11-17" wide rear Goodyear slicks
4) A tractor plus trailer rig.
5) A motor home or bus
6) Extra's, like motor's, rims that say BBS, OZ, etc.
7) A pit crew.
8) Flames shooting out the exhaust

All really bad signs, that you about to have your tail handed to you...let them pass unless you are great driver with a prepped car. The reason I say this, is that there are number people like this in the Northern Calif. Porsche and Ferrari clubs.

Most can be beaten, but some come prepared for a war.
Yep. There were some big dollar cars that came in on fancy semis with crews, tires, tools, fuel ... One car really stood out. It was a BMW purpose built race car with a V8. This car had about 8 seconds on its closest competitor. The sound of that car at WOT was amazing!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Argh -- in my 2 outings with the local vette club (Corvette Troy) I got lambasted by stock C4's. LMAO. Better with time...better with time...keep chanting to myself.

John.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Just remember to have fun out there. Practice, practice, practice.

Did the Nashville speedway thing at the fest too. I won't get out on the track with holedgr anymore. It turns into a race with that boy! :sneaky:

·
Premium Member
20,626 Posts
Z06Dad said:
Just remember to have fun out there. Practice, practice, practice.

Did the Nashville speedway thing at the fest too. I won't get out on the track with holedgr anymore. It turns into a race with that boy! :sneaky:
Gawd...you novices!!! :p But did you two learn anything? :crazy:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Tell us the laps times you and they were running and those of us that have run there can give you some specific input.

T1 record is 1:20 I believe and fairly stock Z's can run mid 1:25-26 if you are really hauling some butt.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MSiska said:
Gawd...you novices!!! :p But did you two learn anything? :crazy:
I have done about eight of these events over the past 18 months, and I grew accustomed to being one of the fastest in the novice and intermediate groups. Stepping up into the advanced group definitely gave me a reality check.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
One thing to remember--if you keep working it harder and harder and faster and faster at the track, sooner or later you will get bitten. It is inevitable--the law of averages. Make sure you are prepared to deal with that, as it can happen really quickly. I am not sure autocross is not a better learning tool, as you can push extra hard with less chance of major damage.

How do I know? Well, my signature used to say, "2004 Z06". :jawdrop:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts